Unicycling after 50

After joining the Air Force in 1969, and my younger unicycling brother joining in 1970, we pretty much lost contact with the club. I spent 6 years 9 months of my first 9 years deployed to Vietnam, Thailand, Okinawa, and Guam, so I didn’t spend much time stateside, let alone riding regularly.

The founder of the club, Phil Bartell, was very active in promoting unicycling to the public. In addition to encouraging families and friends of riders to join the club and participate in supporting activities and help keep up a very busy schedule of events and parades, we also provided free unicycling lessons every 3rd Sunday at San Diego’s Mission Valley Shopping Center. This created a lot of public interest and the club grew rapidly. I think Phil Bartell left the club and possibly the San Diego area in the 1970s, as I was unable to make contact with him at his former bicycle shop in the late 1970s. It is highly possible that without his leadership, along with the popularity of the Schwinn Stingray and skateboarding, that unicycle enthusiasm faded in the 1970s.

| johnfoss
January 7 |

• | - |

GREGORY_THOMAS:

I was a member of the San Diego Unicycle Club, the largest club in the world with 600 members and 200 riding members.

That’s huge! I wish I knew more about it. How did it get so big, and how did it fade away? I think we would have heard more about it if it had still been active in 1974 or later, when the Unicycling Society of America had Bill Jenack doing a quarterly newsletter with lots of info about his unicycling contacts all around the US and world. Would love to hear more about that group!

I have a Loyd unicycle (eBay purchase), but you definitely know more about them than me. Mine came with a bicycle seat on it, and I’m curious to know if that was original or added by the owner. It’s definitely a worse seat than any rectangular thing intended for unicycing, it’s a narrow saddle that pretty much guarantees pain!

You described a squared-off vinyl seat on your 1963 model. Did you ever see any with black, narrow road bike-type saddles? I don’t know the vintage of mine. I think Loyd unicycles may have been more regional than national, but not sure about that. I hope Loyd Wicker Smith got a generous deal from Schwinn to license (or buy) his frame design, it served them well. In fact you could still buy a split-frame Schwinn from Unicycle.com up until fairly recently. Their website still lists the brand but no longer has any Schwinn products. Their blurb about the Schwinn brand also could use a correction or two (Schwinns were around at least until the mid-90s).

I believe the Schwinn unis hit the market with the 1967 Christmas season, but 1968 is probably when they started showing up everywhere. Cottered cranks were the standard back then, which encouraged riders to not do too many jumps and drops–or else. Note for anyone riding cottered cranks, the pins should be inserted in opposite directions. That is, the pins should not be paralell with each other like you pounded both in from the same side of the wheel. Greg, check your pins and see if one just needs to be flipped around, it might even out your cranks!

Cotterless cranks (square taper axles) were introduced in the 1930s, but didn’t become mainstream until much later. I think Schwinn and Miyata both switched to cotterless around the same time, 1980. I only know of one example of a Miyata with cotter pins; it’s a 1978 example from the Bill Jenack collection (now in my collection), and is believed to be the first Miyata unicycle in the USA.
The biggest innovation Schwinn brought to unicycle was their patented saddle design. These were manufactured by Messenger, a company that also made many of the older, rectangular style uni saddles, possibly even the ones on the Loyd unis. When Schwinn revamped their unicycles for their reintroduction to the market in 1986, they added some plastic bumpers and a design that could take more of a beating without ruining the covers.

Thanks for sharing that great history of your unicycling adventures. It makes me curious to see if your club ever got a mention in the early days of the Unicycling Society of America Newsletters. Someday we’ll get them all indexed and be able to look those things up without having to flip through pages… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

People would only pay me to stop playing the cello, but I enjoy it it :laughing:

I admire you.
65 y.o. beginner.
Now I’m 69.

1 Like

Thank you, Hukuma :slight_smile:

Hi John,

So here is my refurbished 1963 Loyd 20" Unicycle, or should I say my Loyd/Schwinn Morph?

Loyd’s original rim was not tubular construction, so inevitably it did not like my hoping around. And of course the pinned cranks didn’t like it either. Before Schwinn bought the rights to Lyod, I found another Schwinn tubular rim with 36-Hole spokes that was also a 20 x 1.75. After Schwinn came out with their own Lyod based unicycle they upgraded to tubular rims, but with a 28-Hole pattern and hub. Today, it is almost impossible to find a 36-Hole pinned replacement hub for my Loyd, as Schwinn soon went pinless cranks early on. So 2 years ago I had my hub rechromed, replaced the cranks and pins, added stainless steel spokes, and replaced the post. The Schwinn seat was added in 1968.

So today my Lyod/Schwinn Morph has Loyd forks, Lyod pinned 36-hole hub, Schwinn 36-hole tubular rim, and Schwinn seat, aftermarket post, cranks, pins, and fork shims.

I’d say it looks pretty awesome. You wanted to know if I was interested in moving up to a more modern unicycle. Well, first of all, at 73 I don’t ride that regularly anymore, and second, after riding my Lyod for 61 years, there’s no sense in moving on now.

I’ve also included a photo of me dressed as a hobo clown and freestyling in the 1965 Toyland Parade in San Diego.

Cheers,

Greg Thomas

| johnfoss
January 7 |

• | - |

GREGORY_THOMAS:

I was a member of the San Diego Unicycle Club, the largest club in the world with 600 members and 200 riding members.

That’s huge! I wish I knew more about it. How did it get so big, and how did it fade away? I think we would have heard more about it if it had still been active in 1974 or later, when the Unicycling Society of America had Bill Jenack doing a quarterly newsletter with lots of info about his unicycling contacts all around the US and world. Would love to hear more about that group!

I have a Loyd unicycle (eBay purchase), but you definitely know more about them than me. Mine came with a bicycle seat on it, and I’m curious to know if that was original or added by the owner. It’s definitely a worse seat than any rectangular thing intended for unicycing, it’s a narrow saddle that pretty much guarantees pain!

You described a squared-off vinyl seat on your 1963 model. Did you ever see any with black, narrow road bike-type saddles? I don’t know the vintage of mine. I think Loyd unicycles may have been more regional than national, but not sure about that. I hope Loyd Wicker Smith got a generous deal from Schwinn to license (or buy) his frame design, it served them well. In fact you could still buy a split-frame Schwinn from Unicycle.com up until fairly recently. Their website still lists the brand but no longer has any Schwinn products. Their blurb about the Schwinn brand also could use a correction or two (Schwinns were around at least until the mid-90s).

I believe the Schwinn unis hit the market with the 1967 Christmas season, but 1968 is probably when they started showing up everywhere. Cottered cranks were the standard back then, which encouraged riders to not do too many jumps and drops–or else. Note for anyone riding cottered cranks, the pins should be inserted in opposite directions. That is, the pins should not be paralell with each other like you pounded both in from the same side of the wheel. Greg, check your pins and see if one just needs to be flipped around, it might even out your cranks!

Cotterless cranks (square taper axles) were introduced in the 1930s, but didn’t become mainstream until much later. I think Schwinn and Miyata both switched to cotterless around the same time, 1980. I only know of one example of a Miyata with cotter pins; it’s a 1978 example from the Bill Jenack collection (now in my collection), and is believed to be the first Miyata unicycle in the USA.
The biggest innovation Schwinn brought to unicycle was their patented saddle design. These were manufactured by Messenger, a company that also made many of the older, rectangular style uni saddles, possibly even the ones on the Loyd unis. When Schwinn revamped their unicycles for their reintroduction to the market in 1986, they added some plastic bumpers and a design that could take more of a beating without ruining the covers.

Thanks for sharing that great history of your unicycling adventures. It makes me curious to see if your club ever got a mention in the early days of the Unicycling Society of America Newsletters. Someday we’ll get them all indexed and be able to look those things up without having to flip through pages… :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I love this thread - thanks @Bug72 for starting it.
It seems to me there are (roughly) four types of people who ride at an older age:

• Those who started young and just kept going - this seems to include a good number of the people who’ve really pushed the boundaries of the sport.
  • Those who gave up riding when younger, then picked it up again, often really appreciating recent developments (especially the seats!).
  • Those who’ve excelled at lots of active sports and take up unicycling as their latest challenge, often finding how satisfying it is to learn the skills, and progressing rapidly.
  • Those who take it up without being sporty types, maybe because they’re looking for a quirky hobby, or because they have physical challenges they hope it might help with (a bad back or lack of general fitness), and enjoy progressing slowly.

(Apologies if I’ve missed out 90% of you!)
I guess I’m the last sort - I started in 2018 aged 51 partly because I used to fly a big kite in the summer on holiday, but our new dog hated it, and partly because I kept damaging my back doing day-to-day stuff, and needed something to strengthen my core muscles. I had a bicycle in the garage I never used (still true), but I enjoyed cycling and have fairly good balance, so suddenly decided I would learn to unicycle while away on summer holiday, buying a used one that was delivered to near our campsite.
It took me ages and I finished those 2 weeks going about 20 revs at best, but I stuck at it to the surprise of my family, and slowly got better, learning to freemount the following summer.
My first uni was a Nimbus 24" II from before they had ISIS cranks (2006ish but barely used), hindered in my case by a Maxxis Hookworm tyre (UK country lanes have lots of camber which the tyre is particularly bad at). I didn’t know any other unicyclists so I was reliant on advice and opinions online, where I found that (a) people often said a 20" was better for learning, and (b) the “coming of age” moment for unicyclists seemed to be when they got a 36". So those became my aims in my slow progress - along with trying to spend as little money as possible.
I first got a used 20" (but never really got the hang of it), then in 2020 I got a Nimbus 26" muni and a KH 36" that had belonged to the same guy - he had sadly died the year before and his non-unicycling friends were selling his unicycles. I started riding the 26" first, then gradually built up to the 36". However I had been very fortunate (I hadn’t realised just how fortunate at the time) that the 36" came with a Schlumpf geared hub (and a unique gear change system), however being so new to unicycling there was no way I was going to learn to use that on such a big wheel, so after lots of research and planning I bought a KH26 frame from another unicyclist and swapped the Schlumpf into my 26" wheel with the new frame. Then at last I could try out high gear, which was now equivalent to a 40" wheel, but harder to manage due to a narrower balance window for corrections as the cranks turn less than the wheel. I’m learning slowly (like everything else) and spend most of the time in low gear still, but it’s such a good feeling whenever I do get into high, even if it feels like I’ve gone down several skill levels in just trying to stay on.
I’ve not stopped enjoying unicycling throughout the now over 5 years that I’ve been riding, and I’ve never stuck at anything like this before. I’ve tried a few times to get into riding a smaller wheel (currently I have a 20" with 100mm cranks that’s fun to spin on, and a 19" trials, and I had a 20" 5ft giraffe for a year that I never even dared sit on!) but I’ve now (yesterday!) decided that I don’t need to go smaller than my 24". I’ve got so much to learn and develop, and I’m hoping up ahead I’ll have more time to ride (while also having to cut down on unis). I may even be getting rid of the 36" soon due to up-coming storage limitations, but as I currently mostly ride with our dog on a harness running with me, I don’t need to go so fast or far.
And one day I may even splash out and buy a unicycle that’s actually new rather than used, which I suspect will be a 27.5" or a 29", and will replace my 26" wheel. I can’t quite see myself parting with my original 24" at this point - it’s too useful and has too much history.
(Thank you for reading this far if you got here - and even if nobody does, I enjoyed writing it! :wink: )

10 Likes

It’s great to hear your story Holyroller and thanks for participating in the over 50 thread. There are a lot of us over 50’s on this forum at various stages of development. I I just want everyone to know that no matter what skill level they are at they are welcome to share their experiences, ask for advise or give advise. I can guarantee your story will inspire someone, just as holyrollers story has inspired me.

2 Likes

I was a late starter ten years ago at age 54. Not really the sporty type but I was a good long distance runner in my youth because I was very light and efficient though not powerful. I had remained reasonably fit though a little overweight.

One day I saw a unicycle at a garage sale for ten dollars and remembered a childhood vision of riding a unicycle. It still surprises me today how I managed to learn on that little unicycle.

Part of me wanted to prove something to myself, having been a weak and not very coordinated person when I was young. I guess my childhood vision was an expression of wanting to do something that required some kind of advanced physical capability.

The summer night when I finally got how to ride stands among the most satisfying moments on my life. I felt somewhat similar when I learned to juggle in my thirties but unicycling is the “piece de resistance”.

5 Likes

I’m kind of somewhere in between the third and fourth categories. Keen cyclist but fallen out of the habit (except for utility use), very keen runner, once competitive but age has done that side of thing no favours, and discovered kickbiking in the last 4 years which has been a tremendous complement to running. I already had a uni in the garage from an impulse buy a few years ago and when I ended up going off sick with mental health issues I thought havong the time to practice and maybe give me something different to focus on would work for some alternative therapy. Sadly after 4 months of little progress I fell off sideways and whacked my knee three weeks ago. It’s still turnip sized and running is out of the question (needless to say I have tried!). Seriously thought of putting up my Indy Freestyle up for sale to stop me doing this to myself again but I still have a bit of an itch to try again. Mind you, I’m not the best co-ordinated of persons so I maybe am on a losing game :slightly_frowning_face:.

3 Likes

Don’t give up yet! Sideways falls seem unusual to me, and you may have just been unlucky to do that and end up injured. The whole learning process seems to result in falling off less (until you choose to try a harder skill or unicycle, when it may be ‘rinse and repeat’, but by then you know how to recover a fall better - and most are forward run-offs). I started off with no particular protection, but I do now have enduro style mtb kneepads (mine zip on, and I wear them over my trousers unless it’s hot) - they’ve saved my kneecaps a number of times, and have padding on the sides too. They seem a worthwhile cost and hassle in comparison with the frustration of injury. (hmmm, that’s said, when I just nip up the street to work I only chuck a helmet on, so I’ll feel really silly now if I injure my knees doing that!)

1 Like

Don’t give up.

I was pretty sure I was getting a 27.5” muni for Christmas and I wanted to be able to freemount it. I practiced mounting my 24” 4-5 times a week for a few months, racking up about 2000 mounts. I had progressed to where I was getting 80+% success each evening.

Then, in the span of a week and a half, I fell 3 times. I caught the front foot under the front pedal on the way up. That rolled the wheel backward. The rear foot was already behind me and the front foot was caught. The uni shot backward, I went horizontal, and landed like a sack of potatoes on my garage floor, each time on my right rib cage.

I didn’t break anything, but after the 3rd time, my rib cage was really p*****d. I couldn’t take a full breath or sleep well on my right side for weeks. Worst of all, I was now afraid to attempt mounting.

A week after the last fall, I received a shiny new uni under the Christmas tree. It was 55° and sunny, and there wasn’t any way I wasn’t going to ride it, but it has been assisted launches. I keep a 19” at work (rode today, in fact) but I’m doing assisted launches on that, too.

I’m working thru the mounting issues, practicing a slower mount with something nearby I can grab if I need it. I studies uniMyra’s EXCELLENT mounting video dozens of times in slow motion. I’ll get it.

Do not quit. Do not quit. Do not quit.

John, age 67, and too damn fat.

6 Likes

Hi Craigandlyn,
Not sure where I should put my age on this forum. I’ll be turning 56 in March.
Just flying back from Hong Kong on a family holiday with wife and two sons.
We brought a KH29 and two 24" Unicycles.

I’m happy to have Unicycle Hill climbed three peaks.
Tai Mo Shan (960m elevation gain)
Victoria Peak (480m elev gain)
Fei Ngo Shan (510m elev gain)

7 Likes

I started at age 58, after my young daughter learned to unicycle and got quite good. I figured if she could do it, maybe I could too. I bought a 20" and it took me two years to be able to ride at all. Then I got quite good at free mounting. Then I switched to a 24", and now to a KH 27 1/2". I couldn’t figure out how to free mount it, but then finally succeeded by applying the brake when I hopped on, and then release the brake and ride off. I can now do it almost every time, at least heading downhill or on the flat (uphill I’m pretty terrible on freemounting). I’m now age 63.
I am careful always, always to be fully padded: helmet, wrists, elbows, knees, and a U.S. football hip pad secured in the place on my hip where I always hit when I fall. Just when I think I’m not going to fall anymore, I then splat, and I’m so grateful as I fall that I have my pads; it hurts, but I don’t have a year of recovery from a broken wrist/knee/head/hip.
It’s a great activity for my age. It takes my mind off my problems; it’s hard to worry about other things when I could splat at any moment.
It keeps me in shape. Every day, I do 3 1/4 miles on the hilly roads in front of my house. With the hills, it’s really hard work to make it up the hills with the bigger 27 1/2 wheel, which is great for fitness; I can’t slack off.
I hope I can keep doing this for a long time.

14 Likes

Atlantan,

Too cool! You’re doing exactly what I aspire to.

John

Hey Jeng,
I’m guessing you are struggling with the so called “traditional free mount”. Pedals at 3 and 9 o’clock. You step, leap, land and go in one “perfect action”.
Right?

How about trying the roll back mount?

…slam

Congrats and respect for your determination in getting where you are! Your perseverance has certainly paid off. Do you get to ride with your daughter much? I started 5 yrs ago when I was 41 but I hope I’m still riding strong when I am in my 60’s. I know many people do!

For wheels bigger than 20" it makes a sense to try the second method from this video (1:12)

1 Like

Here’s one for some old schoolers (50+ and 60+): Nathan and I rode an event sponsored by a local bike shop called the Ultimate Alleycat. Competing against bikes, we rode 78km with 990m of climbing, getting 12 of 17 sites for second place overall! (Tied, but we got three bonus points for riding fixies).

10 Likes

And brakeless! :laughing:

How diplomatic of them - clearly trying to avoid saying ‘bonus points for having lost a wheel’ :wink:

What size is your wheel btw?

Also you say in your article “Using Schlumpfs is too much like work for me” - I’d be interested to hear a bit more about why that is, and whether there would be a different non-geared unicycle you could have used for this instead.

1 Like