Unicycle Storage Idea ... Help Me Please

All,

In a dream last night, I had an idea for how to store my unicycles and bikes. It isn’t that innovative, but I have a friend who can probably help me build it (I’m no good with tools).

Here is a link to the image of my idea:

Please don’t laugh too uch at my microsoft paint skills. :slight_smile:

Basically, it would be like two 7-foot tall saw-horses that are 7 feet wide and 4 feet deep, with hooks on the underside. The image does not convey it well, but when facing the unit, you will be looking at the narrow/skinny profile of the unicycles as they hang there.

I was wanting feedback on the dimensions, because I am not sure what is realistic.

I am figuring 7 feet high because I want to hang my one bicycle also (a Trek street/mountain hybrid I got like 6 years ago). I figure cycles maybe fit in volumes of 4’ x 5’ x 3’, if they have big handle-bars and stuff.

Anyway, it is mostly for the unicycles, so I will hang the hooks such that, other than my bike, the unicycles will fit.

As for the unicycles, I’m not sure what their dimensions are (well, the rims are 24" plus a couple more for the tire). In the futire, I want to hang the 36" rim unicycles (Coker) also. Plus, Chris could hang his when he came over, if he wanted.

That is also why I wanted 4 feet of depth, not only for the bike but also for the larger-wheel unicycles I may get in the future.

What modifications would you make to these ideas?

Lewis

where do you plan to keep this bohemiath contraption? wouldnt hooks from the ceiling be easier and more eficient? I still dont understand why people just cant line their unis up against a wall like me? guitar stands work quite well for one or two unis.
-david kaplan

I’m with David on this one. If you find a ceiling stud (floor joist) running along the length you wish to use to attach hooks (parallel), you’ve got it made. Just screw the hooks into it. If not, use lag bolts to attach a 2x4 crosswise to the studs which run perpindicular to your rack. Then, screw the hooks into the 2x4. Simple and elegant are frequently synonymous.

The guitar stand idea is a good one too. I have stands that were shipped with my two 20" unicycles. They won’t support a 24" unicycle, though, so there may be more than one size available.

I don’t want them sitting on the ground, so guitar stands are out. I see what you mean about simplicity. I hadn’t thought of running a cross-beam right up on the ceiling, in the event the beams in the ceiling aren’t convenient.

Oh well, it was fun taking a moment to make a cheesy drawing. I like my contraption because it would be ridiculous but cool to have it on the wall of my dining room. :slight_smile:

But I guess I will go with simple.

Lewis

Re: Unicycle Storage Idea … Help Me Please

We have a 2x4 running horizontally along a cement wall in our
garage about 6 feet above the floor. I found that 2" drywall
screws put in vertically from the top hold the unis very nicely.
The screws stick up out of the wood about 1/2" from the edge, and
I hook the back edge of the seat onto the screw head. We hang
about 8 in a row. The wheels rest on the wall.

Blessings!
Arthur Doerksen

“Animation” <Animation.fudn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:Animation.fudn@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I don’t want them sitting on the ground, so guitar stands are
out. I see
> what you mean about simplicity. I hadn’t thought of running a
cross-beam
> right up on the ceiling, in the event the beams in the ceiling
aren’t
> convenient.
>
> Oh well, it was fun taking a moment to make a cheesy drawing. I
like my
> contraption because it would be ridiculous but cool to have it
on the
> wall of my dining room. :slight_smile:
>
> But I guess I will go with simple.
>
> Lewis
>
>
> –
> Animation - I unicycle in Mississippi too.
>
> Lewis W Beard
> lewis@lwb.org
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------

> Animation’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/615
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/16519
>

Re: Re: Unicycle Storage Idea … Help Me Please

Do you happen to have a digital pic of the setup online? I’d love to see it.

Lewis

I use large wooden shelf brackets screwed to the wall to hang my uni’s on.
I store the uni’s upsidedown. The top of the bracket (the bit that the shelf
usually rests on) goes through the wheel so that the uni rests on it’s rim.
The uni sits at about a 30 degree angle to the wall and it looks quite cool.

Wayne.

I have a pile. And it works just fine for me. Apart when I trip over the
damn things!

lol, it looks like a swingset

RE: Unicycle Storage Idea … Help Me Please

> What modifications would you make to these ideas?

Why not just put the hooks on the ceiling? Or into a board attached to the
ceiling, depending on the room. For me the best hanging height for unicycles
is where the seats are above head-height, so you can walk under them.

Regular bike hooks will fit everything up to my 2.6" Gazz wheel. You only
need bigger hooks if you have bigger tires than that.

Good luck,
JF

There is always theDave stone method, where you find an old bathtub, and throw all your unis in there. Unlike the bike hooks, the tub will accommodate the 3.0 Gazz.
-David Kaplan

Re: RE: Unicycle Storage Idea … Help Me Please

You must have tall ceilings. Mine are about 8 feet 8 inches high. When I hold my uni up to where the wheel is touching the ceiling and the seat points down, the top of the seat hangs down to the height of my nipples (not being graphic, that’s just the most clear reference to the height).

Do you live in an Antebellum home?

Lewis