Unicycle descent of Mt. Elbert

Some one mentioned this TR to me and found it this morning.
I knew you all would enjoy it.

good write up. I like the comment about air pressures changing within the tire as you climb/descend the higher altitudes.

Mt. Elbert is Colo’s highest mountain, we have 52 mountains over 14,ooo ft and many people try to climb them all. Unicycling down one is tricky, it is mostly talus rock above tree line.

I will have to try this now…

Wow that is so cool! I had the goal to do a unicycle descent on a 14er this past June (I won’t say which :wink: ) but as you can imagine it was waaay to early to make an attempt i.e. too much snow and mud to make it worth while. Perhaps when I can make it out to Colorado in August or early fall I’ll give it a go! I know of a few that I’ve climbed that would be very ridable…

thanks for the pics, looks like fun.

Do they allow bikes or unicycles on the trail there? I was thinking that was prohibited on a lot of the hiking trails.

Also note that Mt. Elbert is the highest, but it’s marginally higher than a lot of the rest, so the difference is really meaningless.

They allow bikes on most trails in Colo, There are exceptions for Wilderness areas, they are not allowed. Forest service may designate some trails off-limits to bikers, but for the most part you can ride most of the trails.

Check out some of the thread listed below… Unicycles have been riding 14ers for awhile now.

Elbert is highest, but more on the easier scale of 14ers. There are a couple that require ropes and class 4 or 5 climbing. Most can be hiked up in a day.

I prefer to hike them in the spring when you can still ski down them!

Anybody up for Grey’s, Torres or Quandry??
:slight_smile:

I might be wrong, but from the photos it looks like former forum member ratherbekayaking.

how about the most famous ones, the deadly bells. Maroon Bells. however, I don’t think you would call it unicycle. In high school and the start of college, I wanted hike them all, but I only have conquered eleven.

A National Park Service sign on the access trail refers to these mountains as “The Deadly Bells” and warns would-be climbers of “downsloping, loose, rotten and unstable” rock that “kills without warning”. Unlike other mountains in the Rockies that are composed of granite and limestone, the Bells are composed of metamorphic sedimentary mudstone that has hardened into rock over millions of years. Mudstone is weak and fractures readily, giving rise to dangerously loose rock along almost any route. The mudstone is responsible for the Bells’ distinctive maroon color. The Bells got their “deadly” name in 1965 when eight people died in five separate accidents.

300px-Maroon_Bells_Aspens.jpg

Nice work Ed, looks like your day was full of adventure. Congrats!!!

This ride was previously done in 05’, here is that link.

good stuff!

It would be Sweet to ride along the side of this rock!!!

Wait, so who rode this latest descent of Mt. Ebert? Ed somebody?