Unicycle.com sucks

Shipping prices are not UDC’s fault, they are the result of our president and rising gas prices. UDC charges exactly what it costs them through UPS. They are also making an effort to offer cheaper shipping on small items (ex: KH spooner, http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1297). If you can get Uni stuff through your LBS or other local shop like ducttape above, that’s is awesome and you should support them in that.

Oh man…I love it. Yes Bush is not only responsible for crying polar bears but also the price of shipping. Classic!

Honest and up front, but not their fault ?

I was going to order a set of cotterless cranks, but when I punched in my zip in the helpful ship calculator, shipping the cranks cost near as much as the cranks. For that tiny light box ? That’s not gas prices, that’s UDC US.

It’s a fact that for some reason Florida is really really far away from Georgia. So far that AEB will ship me an entire unicycle from apparently neighboring Michigan for half as much as UDC says UPS wants for a box of cranks.

Also, I, as a non contract max charged walk in customer (UPS charges large volume commercial customers less), can walk into my local ups and ship you a box of cranks for a lot less then 12 $.

It is a fact that UDC USA charges a lot for shipping.

If you are a commercial shipping customer, the UPS truck guy will come to your business, and pick up the boxes you are shipping. You don’t have to drive them to the UPS place and wait in line. The UPS guy stops by UDC every day.:wink:

My only experience with UDC has been ordering some cranks, and no problem there.

I get a little irritated at their website, especially if you go into the “new rider” mode and look for a unicycle. If you’re heavy (such as me), you’ll basically get “nothing” for every option except, I think, mountain unicycles. You’d figure if you only had one unicycle to sell to a fat person, then you’d just recommend the same model for every application rather than saying “nothing available” for every other option. So I’ve bought 3 new unicycles, 1 used, and didn’t buy any from UDC. I’m thinking about a Sun 28" and they don’t sell it, either.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=651
What are you going to do, you just lost 2"? (might I suggest one size shorter cranks :astonished: )

Mike speaks the truth. Here is an example of a deal done with Darren. All I had was the tire and I wanted to build a unicycle around it. He asked me a few questions and made the recommendations I list in the thread. It was easy. It’s as if he knew what I wanted ahead of time.

That said, UDC is still a great place. I have heard many complain about orders getting messed up badly and repeatedly. I have never had this problem. People in town that I ride with have had lots of problems. Maybe I have just been lucky. It certainly colors how you view a source.

I don’t think this thread is really about UDC, but about the OP. Obviously, he’s young and immature (or perhaps, being generous, just inexperienced with internet fora), and so instead of reading extensively and figuring out how people talk to each other (and talk about issues that matter to us), he threw down what we all see as unsubstantiated conclusions based on limited experiences. Perhaps he’s used to being part of fora that have mostly teens on it (and I’m not digging on teens–I have two and a half of them living in my house), and simple griping threads are more common there.

Anyway, he’ll either figure things out and stick around (think about what Mornish was like when he first came on here, and how much he’s changed), or he’ll decide we’re too stuffy and think that we’re all ganging up on him and leave. Let’s hope it’s the former. We unicyclists need to stick together.

What is OP and what is so unsubstantiated about my conclusion about Unicycle.com USA. Also my so called limited experience is what makes my claim seem even more true to me. If ive only delt with UDC 3 or 4 times and they have messed up my order everytime I dont need to use them a thousand times to form an opinion about them

OP= Original Poster.

I’ve bought a couple things off of UDC US and I have experienced absolutely no difficulty. I’m a fan.

my two cents: I too have purchased more than several items with no problem. If you have a problem take your business somewhere else.

Dear Jim,

My name is Josh. I’m the General Manager at Unicycle.com. You have my attention. I tried to look you up in our system and you are not in it unless you ordered through another name. That aside, if you have an issue I will take care of it if it is a problem that we have caused. You can call us at 1-800-unicycle or e-mail us at helpdesk@unicycle.com

Jim:see they do have super service.

Josh:why so high shipping?

President Bush also is responsible for third world poverty and is a suspect in my grandmothers death.

More incompetent then larcenous LOL

Here’s some proof. I was just playing with UDC’s shipping calculator. I started to notice something. Every part costs about 12 $ to ship. For instance, to ship me a 5 $ 12 " inner tube, costs 12 $. Sounds high, right ?

But to ship me a 36 " night rider tire costs only 13 $ :thinking:

Obviously, UPS is gonna want a lot more $ for that big 5 lb box then that tiny inner tube box.

I submit that UDC USA isn’t so good at the software site construction thing.

They are losing customers by overcharging on small boxes, while maybe losing $ by under charging for some larger ones.

I will play with it some more. If you want to give it a shot yourself, you have to go the the more details page for a single item. Then click on the ship calculator and plug in your zip. So far, all parts I have found, ship within a buck of 12 $ to Florida, regardless of size or weight!

LOL, this is funny.

It costs 12 $ to send me a 2 $ Semcycle axle spacer ( 20 gr. ?), yet only 14 $ to ship me a 1300 $ KH geared hub!

It’s worst then I thought ! UDC USA must be Republicans ! The rich ride KH Shlumphs on the backs of spaced out people !

Are you selecting the USPS option?

Actually, shipping isn’t so high if you buy a bunch of things

I made a big fake order of everything I wanted sorta. A trials tire, cheap cranks, 36 tube, bunch of other small stuff. Trying to see how bad I can make it look. :sunglasses:

They don’t let you use the calculator on a big list, which can give a false impression. You have to go through check out and fill in all those fields to get the answer. Thankfully, as a past customer, all I had to do was sign in.

The horrible damage to ship all this stuff, 150 $ worth of 7 items that would fit in a box with a trials tire, was only about 15 $ for the whole deal.

Not so bad at all. I think the lesson here is not to buy lot’s of little stuff from UDC USA piecemeal. Think about what you need for the next few months, and order it all at once. They will send you lot’s of little stuff together in one box for 15 $:) , despite the high estimate they give for each item.

NVM, I dont see it on there anymore.

Hmm. Yeah, so I just ordered two Spooners, and there was NO shipping charge at all added onto the order. 2 @$15, and the total charge was $30.

No complaints here.

I was just playing with the ship calculator for individual items. It only offered UPS and Fed EX, I quoted UPS as the best price.

Maybe way late in the check out, there is a USPS option, but I was bailing before that, and emptying the cart, market research. :slight_smile:

In any event, I think UDC’s calculator can give a false( high ) impression of their real shipping costs to new customers. You must sign in all that stuff to get the total shipping cost, which thankfully, has no apparent connection between the sums of all the estimates, and the actual charge to ship multiple items.:slight_smile:

I have shopped at places that did have a cheap mail option for small single item orders.

If UDC USA has this option, they should list it with their shipping estimator earlier in the check out process.

Also, if you are a new customer, you shouldn’t have to go through all that form filling to get the final shipping total. Which IMHO, is plenty low enough $, as long as you order a bunch of little stuff at once, never separately.