Unicycle Basics: Muni Tutorials

Managed to squeeze a new tutorial in between christmas and new years eve. This is part two of jumps, with some more advanced topics. Hopping with the cranks not horizontal, hopping on hills and I’m trying my best to explain how to do gaps.

Let me know if my explanation works for you, I find this particularily hard to explain (because to me 90% is learning the right “feel” for a jump).

13 Likes

Super cool you got some unicycle swag for making the videos. Another great video.

Another awesome video.

Sometimes a jump that I do is to launch off the jump/kicker in any pedal rotation and keep the pedals/wheel turning throughout the airtime and land in whatever pedal position with the wheel already turning.
It’s more of a momentum launch as the jumping force (pedal position) isn’t always there but it does give a very smooth landing when executed.

Keep them coming.

1 Like

I love these videos. While I’m competent with much of the territory you’ve covered, it’s still enjoyable - and useful - for me to see the movements demonstrated and hear them described by another rider. I hope you will do a segment on bigger drops (>2 or 3 feet), as this is what I find the most intimidating at this point, and would love a good pep talk! Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the compliments! I think I will do something about fear, confidence and risk in the future, which will probably cover bigger drops. The technique changes very little with the size of jump (only the margin of error gets smaller), so I think for most people learning to deal with fear is the key part on drops.

I think continuing to pedal and landing at any pedal position works great for smaller jumps, especially if you manage a smooth takeoff with good body position. Trying to get the pedals horizontal can be more of a distraction than a help and make everything less smooth then, so just ignoring that and continuing to pedal can be a good option there. But then over a certain size of jump (especially if there is a bit of a drop involved), I find the extra control of having the cranks horizontal when the wheel hits the ground helps.

1 Like

How true! I can’t say how many times I have struggled to get the nerve up to go off a new drop, only to nail it on the first try, no sweat :sweat_smile: It’s a great feeling though. I look forward to that video!

1 Like

I’ve just finished my Freewheel Tutorial. I’m covering how to get started, some different mounts, pedaling smoothly and brakegliding. I tried to keep it concise, but it still ended up a bit longer than I was hoping, but I think it’s also covering a lot of ground.

(To find all the tutorials in the first post click: here )

11 Likes

I really like your videos, thanks for making them.
Lots of little helpful tips for many situations.

This freewheel one was definitely interesting, I had been a bit mystified how one would even get started with those, as it seems like it would be nearly impossible to mount or to stay on once you have to correct for a backwards lean.
You make it look pretty achievable for mere mortals :grin:

1 Like

As a small anecdote, my younger brother figured out how to ride my freewheel 50 meters or so in around one hour. He learned unicycling as a kid and got to a point where he could hop and do a few tricks, but had never used a brake on a unicycle before trying my freewheel and had not ridden in years. He is fairly talented when it comes to sports, but seeing that has convinced me that riding a freewheel is probably achievable for most riders.
Of course, to get to a point where you can brakeglide really well and be anywhere near as comfortable as on a fixed unicycle will take a fair amount of practice, but the really terrible part of the learning curve where you can’t ride at all and fall constantly seems reasonably short to me right now. (We’ll see as more people start picking up freewheels…)

3 Likes

I’m still a newbie, only been riding a regular unicycle for about 5 months now. Looking back, it’s kinda crazy to think that just half a year ago, I didn’t think I’d ever be able to ride one. While I haven’t tried a freewheel unicycle yet, I’m thinking, ‘Hey, if I’ve already “conquered” one impossible task, why couldn’t I do it again with a freewheel?’

Your videos are really useful, btw - thx!

3 Likes

I’ve compiled a few “non Muni” Skills that I thought were worth covering (and I also received some requests for) into this tutorial:

Ended up being a bit shorter than I intended, but I hope it’s enough to get you started practicing!

(To find all the tutorials in the first post click: here )

14 Likes

So happy to see another video. And just in time for my one year unicycling anniversary. You are laying out a roadmap for those, like me, interested in deep diving into this. Super excited. Thanks for taking the time!

A side note that I was very impressed with your still stands. Very interesting to hear your strategy for them.

2 Likes

And there is the tutorial for a stillstand, thanks a lot!
So, now I can go for that and see how far I get :-))

1 Like

Great video, as always! :slight_smile:

Just a side-note on the brakecoast. IMHO, it’s not a simple “show-off” trick. It has 2 utilities:

1. When practicing brakecoast, you learn how to use your brake more efficiently and better. It can help you to achieve a better braking even when you keep your feet on the pedals.
  2. I find it great for dismounting my unis without much slowing down beforehand. The idea is to ride fast, start brakecoasting and gently land on the ground. That’s particularly useful to stop at traffic lights, but also to avoid hitting the ground too hard when dismounting a 36er. My feet and heels really like that last part! :wink:

Keep up your great work, Finn!

Another nice video.
So was the camera falling forward after discussing the technicalities of break coasting versus brake gliding on purpose?
Kind of seems like it haha :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think the camera didn’t want to hear a lengthy discussion of unicycle terminology either, so it threw itself of the log I balanced it on before I could start. :wink:

5 Likes

Another really well done training video thank you so much Finn.