UniBC

What will this peice of “matal” catch on? How do you go aobut attatching cranks to a rear hub? No splines to line up the cranks, all you could do is eyeball it and tighten the Qr.

not this debate again

lololol… ur 14 and u think bout a car ? the idea is cool I get fricken tired or pedalin sometimes and freewheling would be useful for long distance… how can it be a dumb idea ? cauz u dint think of it evan ? or cauz it dont got some E.B plates on it ?.. fricken lame forums…just rememberd me why I stoped posting…

Max, Learn to spell.

First off, who wants to seat drag down a hill?

Second, why not just learn to glide?

Third, Why would someone put eb plates on something that has cranks and pedals?

Fourth, Why would I say something is a bad idea just because I didn’t think about it?

Personally, I think the concept of effortless downhill riding and the capability to go up hills faster than walking is cool, but there is no need to fill the forums with threads every time you have a new idea.

I’m almost 15, Plus, having someone drive me somewhere is better than seat-drag-29’er-coasting to my destination.

Well that seems to be a ridiculously dangerous and ill thought out plan

Ok, firstly. Sorry to totally thread jack and take this completly off topic, but it has to be said!

I have been a member of the forums for a while now and found most people polite, pleasent and really friendly to talk to. With the exception of Evan. When I used to see posts of his, I would bite my tounge(or fingers?) and not mention anything. Then it got to the point where, I completly ignored any posts or threads by him, thinking, he’s 14 and will probably grow out of putting people down soon.

Your still doing it! It annoys me how you constantly rubbish peoples ideas and speak coldly to people. Recently I noticed Mike (Swarbrim) got annoyed with you aswell. I love the fact that unicyclists are such friendly, warm hearted people and am proud to be part of the community, but I wish you would grow up a bit and stop with the useless posts! Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn’t mean you have to be nasty or rude to them.

Mayby you just really are like that, in which case, please try to think about others before you post, and the forums might be a nicer place!

You will probably write some smart-ass comment back, but I wouldn’t bother if I were you, I won’t read it!

Sorry to lower the tone for everyone else, but that has been simmering away for weeks now!

Back on topic:

I have been thinking about making a coasting uni for a while, I just don’t have the time! I would love to have a go on one though!

Rock on!
Edd

no offence or anything, but i agree with Edd.

and back on topic:

it seems like a totally stupid, pointless idea to me, but if i had the time i would try to make one and try to ride it for fun. good luck with it!

oh yeah and how would i go about making a 60" uni?

i agree with evan…i dont thinks its possible and if it is congrats but im convinced just by logical thinking thats its not…hahah sorry…

What, riding a one wheeled bike is stupid? boggle

Seriously Evan, you’ve come up with some pretty wacky inventions yourself over time. We all ride crazy machines and do crazy things on them, what’s wrong with experimenting?

Depends what you’re comparing it to, really, doesn’t it? Compared to a normal uni, being able to coast down hills would be pretty nice. Using your feet is a more practical way of jumping on and off picnic tables, but it never seems to feature much in trials competitions :wink:

As far as I can tell you’re a really talented rider / builder and all - I love your BC vids, for instance - they helped persuade me to buy a BC in the first place. I used to think you were pretty cool, but having seen you be mean to so many people I’m not so sure anymore.

Another random idea: if you stuck a little caster wheel on your seatpost / frame somewhere, when you drop the seat you can have it run along the ground (on the wheel) rather than having to hold it off the ground with something. This will also mean that if you brake, the braking force will be transferred to the ground, so that you don’t have to compensate by balancing.

You’d want a handheld brake trigger for this, obviously.

Cheers,
Mark

let me explain better. on one crank(the one you seat drop with) would be afolding up peice of metal the flips out to catch the seat when you drop it, so that it doesn’t hit the ground. there would be no BC plates, just when yous top pedalling it costs. there would be a brake so that hen you overbalance backwards you can put it on to lift you back up. You could pedal forward to gain speed/ correct your balance.

what’s bad about it?other than being a bit hard to ride.

What is mean about my post?

Though some might not think this is possible, but, gasp, a nice post by evan byrne…

Cool idea miles, but wont the peice of tubing attatched to the crank, inhibit it tfrom going around when you are pedaling? Have you thought about using a disengaging hub for coasting? Verses the rear bike hub? That way you could ride it around as a normal uni, forward and backward, then when you get up to speed, pull a shifter lever, and your coasting like a BC. I think that would be something cool to build. Also, If you ever want to put one of these ideas into something real, i can help you build/make it, I have acess to metal, welders, Milling machines and lathes.

yea, the thing on the crank would have a hinge so that you could flick the bar with your foot and it would pop out to catch the frame. I didn’t know about dissengaging hubs, are they expensive?

lathes are awesome :sunglasses:

after I actually get a BC I might take you up on you offer Evan.

Disengaging hubs dont really exist. It would be something you’d have to make, Pretty much you want a strong unicycle hub, with a locking pin, or some sort of clutch to engage and disengage when you want.

oh, I take it it would be pretty hard to make then?

The design would be the hard part.

maybe after I really learn how to BC then.

lathes are so cool.:slight_smile:

I don’t like that idea.

You guys are talking about making a coasting uni with a roller on the seat to ride it in a seat drag. So far you have reinvented the scooter…I am just waiting for the suggestion to put on some handle bars.

???

the seat won’t touch the ground.