Uni-geezers unite!

Not a Uni-Geezer… yet

but I will be tomorrow!! Learned to ride in my twenties, just a short distance. Got my 24 a few years ago, longest ride was just over 10 miles. Had to get a 36, and haven’t ridden the 24 since. Took last year off for medical reasons, but ready to roll again! Can freemount my 36er, have ridden 3 miles. Want to do a whole lot more than that this year.

My biggest obstacle? Lack of time to share with other hobbies. Started playing bass guitar last year, so that’s practice time almost every day. And the big one is gardening. A HUGE time drain. So managing my time between two jobs, family, hobbies, motorcyling, and other religious and social engagements will make this an interesting year!!

AnimalCage, Unicycling is the one thing on your list that will help you stay young so you can enjoy everything else. You don’t want to loose the fountain of youth!

I agree!! Was playing tennis in town today with my wife, she got on her bike and me on the 29 and we went for a ride. Felt young when “20 something’s” were practicing roller derby on the basketball court and wanted to know more about the uni and wanted me to join! That wasn’t happening! Ha! It won’t keep you young but at least you’ll feel like it.

You are correct, Jeff. I get such a great workout from unicycling. The satisfaction of flying down the road on one wheel while the world looks on in awe is really cool. The sweat, the pounding heart, bursting lungs… and the quads. Good grief, the quads. I’m usually laughing when I try to walk up my front stairs after a long ride. But I think the fountain offers more.

Gardening allows me to grow food that is much more nutritional than what is available for purchase, plus zero pesticides. I know for sure the origin and contents of what I am eating, which is great for my health. Note my tag line. Not to mention all the money I save. Plus, walking barefoot on freshly tilled soil in the cool of the morning, smelling the tomato plants all around me… Mmmmmmm.

Playing bass gives me a new challenge for my old brain. Trying to learn music is interesting. Playing in our church band has been fantastic. I found “my place”. I actually enjoy practicing, it reduces my stress levels, and I love the feeling of getting it.

Now, motorcycling? Its stupid, and dangerous, and entirely unhealty. I love it sooo much!!!

I guess I’m trying to say that my physique isn’t the only part of me that needs to be exercised to try to remain young. I see each of my hobbies as equally important, balancing each other, and I’m really happy with who I am becoming as a whole person. If I give all of them the attention they deserve, I will find great enjoyment in all of them.

Good Balance AnimalCage.

I used to have a motorcycle but I sold it because it scared me and I decided it was just too dangerous. Now I fly an airplane instead. Much Safer!

I think this geezer thread is inspiring of course but I read your claim to have grown up in East Detroit and I wonder. See, I spent 5 early years of my life in ED. I went to Kern Elementary till end of 3rd grade. That would have been 1968. Any chance our paths had crossed?

Coincidentally, I recently picked up bass too. It just felt like time. I didn’t get far with it as a teen, and it has languished in the basement (or equivalent) until now. It is a very physical instrument. It feels sort of similar to juggling in a way, but instead of clubs or balls, it’s fingers; and the large strings and plucking with fingers are a big part of that. It is a similar path for me to how I got into unicycling, actually. Unicycling is like juggling my body or the Earth, and doing it with my feet. Unicycling has largely supplanted juggling for me, but the background is obviously still there for the bass to now take off from.

So many words to basically agree with you.

The nice thing about being a geezer is that it is too late to die young. The temptation of the outrageous is so much more compelling.

Well said.

No matter how old I get I’ll never be a geezer. :wink:

Forgot it’s a term that only applies to males.

Geezher?

Geezerette

Hmmm. Diminutive forms for female were considered somewhat politically incorrect when I was exposed to feminism in the 70s.

Geezette would be cute too.

I’m with you on that one…any female geezers like to comment?

Great thread guys.:slight_smile:

:)Happy Birthday Animal Cage:slight_smile:

Another couple of years ( hoping I’m still on one wheel :roll_eyes: ) and I’ll be a uni geezer, geezher, gezerette, gezette :sunglasses:

I still am :stuck_out_tongue:
Geezeress then ?
GeezPerson is too much for a generic term :smiley:

Hmm… I forgot about that (I had to google diminutive). Well I guess we could all be Geezerteer’s

Who’s the leader of the club that made for you and me? U-N-I-C-Y-C-L-I-S-T!:smiley:

Nice one, Mr. Bear, I think that’s my favorite. From now on I will describe myself as a GeezPerson. (Should it be hyphenated? Geez-Person :smiley: )

I wonder… is female a diminutive of male?? in which case we shouldn’t use the word “female” when referring to a female :roll_eyes:

P.c. gone mad!!

Go with something totally different, original and unique. :smiley: