Uni Club Virgin

I’m thinking of going to a semi-local uni-club tonight for the first time. I’m still not very good on the uni and think being around other riders would really help me progress, however i can’t get in touch with anyone to find out the details that i want to know.

I know where it is, when it is and all that, but i don’t know if it’s ok to roll up as a near complete beginner, if i need special pedals for indoors, if i need a helmet or what. Does anyone have any experience of uni-club etiquette?

In my (limited) experience, most people are very friendly, and even if your uni isn’t suited for indoors due to the pedals, someone will likely let you use one of theirs for a bit. I’d bring a helmet, it’s a good idea when riding anyways (do as I say, not as I do :(). At the very least, you’ll meet other riders, and maybe get some pointers :slight_smile:

The easiest way to answer most of those questions is to just turn up.

I’d be very surprised if they don’t encourage beginners, unless it’s something like a hardcore muni club or a hockey club - in which case you’ll need to be competent at the basics at least. You can always ask if you can stay and watch.

If it’s an indoor venue then they might well require plastic pedals. It won’t be any more specific than that, so if you have some bring them with you. If you don’t have any, turn up anyway, and someone may well have spare pedals you can borrow for the evening (and you’ll have a week to buy a pair for next time).

Helmets are extremely rare at clubs here, but if you have one, bring it with you - just in case.

STM