Tubeless

Agreed, saving weight in a way that really helps performance, so in a 36er it’d be worth it, esp since your more worried about blow outs than pinches or burps.

For muni, pinch flats are due to thin tubes or low pressure AND/or a tube that is sticking to the tire. I have not had pinch flats as long as I run enough pressure, so for my low pressure muni I run a thicker tube. Weight is kinda irrelevant for muni, dang things are tanks anywho.

I do have one experience with tubeless, and that was cleaning up a tire after it was used as tubeless. Suffice to say it took a long time (45min) and some serious elbow grease to get the tire ready for tubes again. Yuck!

There is nothing wrong with tubes, they work, they’re cheap, they’re replaceable, they’re repairable.

But 36er tubes, those things are beastly heavy!

Knoxuni, you are not running 10psi in a 2.5 x 24 tire, you weigh more than me, it’s just not possible, you’d burp all the air simpy riding off a curb! My son ran 10psi when he was 140#, but you’re 220#.

Another advantage…

As I understand it, tubeless setups have another significant benefit for those of us that live in “goat-head country:” Punctures from seed pod thorns (i.e., goat-heads) self-seal.

Depending upon where you ride, this could be a huge benefit.

(And if I get many more of these micro-punctures in my 29er tire/tube from XC riding, I might just have to deal with the initial set-up hassle and go tubeless myself!)

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

Yeah, I forgot about you poor bastards :roll_eyes:

We’re not much for flats here unless you pinch when hittin a root or rock real hard.

It was such a beatch cleaning up the stuff once it was dried, I can’t justify it. I ride muni 2-3x a week for the past three years and I have had three flats:

1- Pinch flat, 29er, thin tube, low pressure
2 -Broken valve stem, wore a hole in the rubber at the rim, 26er, older thick tube, low pressure
3 - Flatted due to having left a piece of plastic in the tire from a broken tire lever. Check those tires!!

In contrast, I probably flatted once a month while riding bikes.

I’m gonna switch over my 36er this summer and see if it makes a difference.

What I’m relaly moving toward is using teh 36er for trails, so tubeles would be a great place for that use esp since flatting a 36er in the woods would be a huge deal.

You can put Stan’s in a tube if you have having problems with goat heads. We a notorious for goat heads out here. High performance Road bikes have sealant tubes and tire liners, and mountain bikes are all tubeless with Stan’s.

As for the uni, mine has a thick DH tube with Stan’s and I think I am up to 4 patches. I do a lot of side hopping and feel tire fold now and then, so I couldn’t do tubeless. But If I had a 26 or 29 I would probably throw some Maxxis Lust tires on them (indestructible) and go tubeless. I wouldn’t ride the super steep techy downhill/trials on it just long XC rides.