Tubeless tires?

Does anyone ride with a tubeless tire? Probably for road and muni right? What about for street? It could probably take a good pound off of your setup. And rolling weight feels the heaviest…

Yes.

Dominator 2 + Duro = Tubeless?

Tubeless muni tyres

Tubeless PSI

How-to-steps: tubeless on Coker or 36"

And many more posts on Tubeless Tires at: Here

Hi. First of all, nice to see a street rider here. Sorry to tell you though, almost all of the other street/trials/flat riders hang out on Facebook, this forum almost exclusively concerns itself with beginners, distance and “Muni”.

To your question: If you land sideways with a tubeless setup, it can “burp” a lot of air. Especially with non tubeless specific tires (I don’t know of any 19" or 20" ready tires). And with street, you tend to land sideways sometimes. If you want to save some weight, you can use a slim inner tube, but I don’t recommend that, unless you like riding really high tire pressure to not get any flats.

I am new to unicycles but bicycle road riders with fast lightweight bikes and some commuters, etc., like tubeless tires but they run narrow tires with high air pressure and those tires are not likely to see much sidewall deflection, unlike MTB and other offroad bikes.

I guess you are new to unicycle terminology, so I understand your confusion. This is what “street” unicycling means: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjajJo6GOQ Very different from road bikes.

Ever wondered what an eight-year-old Duro Leopard looks like that has only been used tubeless? (not used for two years)

4 Likes

Zombie unicycle detected. The unipocalypse is upon us. RIDE FOR THE HILLS!

3 Likes

Is it sealant that seeped through over time ? Or is it mold that developed due to some sealant components and the unventilated nature of tires structure ?

It is partly crystalized and partly molded sealant thatleaked through. A year ago it started leaking throug on all of those spots, now, a year later it looks like this.

1 Like

Nice biochemical project of yours! :biohazard::wink:

Here’s one of mine. Pic attached. Although it’s also a tubeless wheel, I’m not sure whether sealant play a role there, but storage in a humid basement definitely did.

1 Like

The alternative is TPU tubing. Since sealing milk also has a weight, I believe that there is almost no difference in terms of weight.

Are you unsolicitedly advertising your business and try to sell your tubes in a thread literally about tubeless tyres? :rofl:

I consider this inappropriate.

I removed the link / ad

what’s bad about it? TPU tubes are a good alternative to tubeless. Should I publish a link to Schwalbe TPU tubes? They don’t have all the sizes that unicyclists need. I don’t find anything wrong with it.

If you are happier with these alternatives… I have linked accordingly.

on the topic of running tubeless, i did for a bit on a rabbit hole/dirt wizard 29” muni setup. Those are both non-tubeless and i do not recommend going down that road as it tends to be more headache than it’s worth. I expect many street riders would have a similar experience with trials rims and tire, but amplified by the increased sideloads some tricks will present.

i have a stans rim mated to a schwalbe g-one speed on a geared 29 that is worry free unless i really let all the sealant dry out.

The dirt wizard should actually be tubeless ready. I photographed a current 26x 3.0. Are there different versions?

i purchased mine in like 2017 i think, so i believe they may have changed some things before declaring it tubeless compatible

It looks like the bead area has changed since then, does this one still have hidden text across the bead? i expect that is gone because it negatively impacts tubeless performance

true, I remember the first Surly I sold were different. They were also a bit cheaper in price. Since I’ve never really paid much attention to tubeless, I never really noticed it.