Trials Courses Unlimited

It been a while now, did I miss it or is it not done yet?

if you look at his you tube page theres no new video:(

I too want to see his new vid

Need some ides???

Here is one we’ve been building

Notice the grind rail to ground…

holy man those 1x4 must cost a fortune :astonished:

cool course tho

were is it ??

Thanks, glad you like it. We are a bunch of rookies,(we suck) but we are still building, as we get better, the stuff will get bigger.

If you look real close, Alot of what appears to be 4x4’s are actually pressure treated landscape timbers. Home Depot puts them one sale about 4 times a year for $1.89 for a 8 foot board. We load up on those thing. We set all the uprights(timbers) in concrete and everthing is screwed together so we can up date a section as needed. This stuff is extra burly. I’ve also found some neighbors who were replacing some large out door decks. About 75% of the wood planks were recylcled from there. He was more than happy to have me haul off his old wood. I just spent a bunch of time removing nails.

The course is close to Charlotte N.C. We built it at a local MTB trailhead so we got a bunch of land and it gets us some well needed exposure. We started with about 4 people in April, now we have over 15 riders. Come see us

I envy you:p

man that course is worthy of Kris Holm, and every other awesoem unicyclist in the world, I ENVY YOU!

Bump!

There’s another thread that has just started but I think I should just bump that one, there’s already some great ideas in this one. I’ll try to built something temporary in my back yard, my parent dont want to have a giant Trials course in the back yard, so I have to take it off each time I stop riding, even if I know I will ride the other day after:( I need to built some gaps with pallets and some skinnies… and some imagination because I dont have alot of stuff. I’ll take some pictures when I’ll built something cool:)

Here’s the trials obstacles I’ve built with my dad:

And of course some pallets:

My 2 trial couses ^^
one in my ‘front’ yard and one in my back yard :slight_smile:
I like them a lot ^^ but I like riding in the city much more :wink:

Bump

Anybody have any new obstacles or who haven’t posted their’s yet?

I bet there are also plenty who haven’t seen this thread.

Man, there are some really ill set ups throughout here! bookmark this threeeaaaad now

TIM: that is SICK!

bumpity bump bump bump

Hey, just skimmed through the beginning few pages of this thread, so tell me if it’s already been done…
But I had an idea for a trials obstacle. I just don’t have the materials to make it yet. Anyone ever made a bridge that was kind of like the regular ones with all the ladder-style planks, but suspended over the ground, with ropes run through all the planks so the bridge swayed as you went across?
Just thought that would make for some good balancing practice. :smiley:

I’m having trouble envisioning what you are talking about. I don’t think I remember ever seeing anything like that that someone built themselves.

I have seen numerous vids of people riding loose, rickety, swaying bridges in VanUni vids and playground jungle gyms like this one.

I’m thinking of two basic types you could build. The first is like in the pic. Have two mounts on the near end of your bridge and another two on the far end of the bridge w/ the two separated the width of the bridge. Connect the near and far ends w/ a rope on the left side and another the same length on the right. Your links could be a bunch of narrow logs or 4x4’s w/ one hole drilled in on each end. Slide the two ropes, one through each end of the log and secure w/ a not and repeat until you get the length you want. The longer your “bridge” is for a particular gap, the more it’s going to sag and harder to ride. Also the closer your logs are spaced, the more you’ll need for a given length and easier it’ll be to ride. You need to make it a bit longer than the gap or it will be hard to secure to the other side.

The second is you’d have a solid sturdy ladder. Hang either end by a rope.

I think the second would be easier to ride, build and be more versatile (you could drop one end to the ground to make a loose ramp.

Yeah, that’s what I was talking about, like the sagging playground one, but the loose ramp idea is cool too.

On method 2, I think it would be better to suspend the ladder w/ chains. It would be easier to shorten/lengthen and secure to make it more or less stable.

You could do the same thing w/ method 1 if you first fixed the length w/ a couple of 2x4’s and then suspended the whole thing. You could also make multiple mounting points so you can change how much it sags. W/ closer in = more sag, but there would be a gap at the end and might no longer be rollable.

l…l…l
l…l…l
l…l…l
l…l…l
l…l…l
l…l…l
l_____l___________________________l
… ^…second mount

Sort of like this one? I built it for the NAUCC 2009 Trials course, It’s 10’ long, 18" tall. The hardest part of riding is the end, when it gets rather steep.

7035_1159932011240_1615989183_395410_5071171_n.jpg

how do you score unicycle trials?