trial unicycle suggestions for 10 l/2 year old?

I’m asking in behalf of my 10 l/2 year old 54 inch (inseam 26 inches) son who has been unicycling for 4 years and currently is obsessed with the concept of trial unicycling. He currently has a unistar torker muni and is desperate to ungrade but this is quite expensive not to mention even finding him something that will fit his size. He really wants shocks but I understand after talking with the folks at unicycle.com that this adds an additional 4 inches to the cycle–making it totally too tall for him. Anyone with any suggestions? many thanks

Re: trial unicycle suggestions for 10 l/2 year old?

Go find a used Summit trials unicycle on e-bay, and buy it.

Like this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7133242278&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Shocks not needed for trials riding…legs perform that function.

thats a hott summit. i bid 250 for one and was outbid i guess at the last second by 5 dollars. shame really.

jon

barring a summit on ebay, find a kris holm 20 inch trials, either at unicycle.com or a bike shop thats a dealer. probably your second best choice.

I don’t think you need to go as far as getting a KH for a 10 year old. A Nimbus should hold up just fine and it’s much cheaper.
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=744

It’s also lighter and the square taper cranks allows for a much greater range of crank length choices. For shorter riders, the 140mm cranks on the Summit might be too long.

Re: trial unicycle suggestions for 10 l/2 year old?

Trials unicycles usually have 20" wheels. A typical 10-year old easily
fits on them. A shock absorber is not recommended for trials. Your son
may be so light (in weight) that a splined crankset is not required
now but you gotta look ahead. So buy splined if money is not too much
of an issue.

An 11-y.o. (now 12 I think) who I sometimes do MUni or trials with
bought a 20" splined Qu-ax off municycle.com and he’s happy with it.
And he is smallish for his age.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

If he’s pretty light you can get away with a non-splined hub.

--------> Get the Nimbus. Then if he sticks with it you can always go up to the splined setup once he gets bigger and starts doing bigger things.

Post up his weight and is he already hopping around?

If you can find a deal on a summit, that might be the way to go, although if he’s pretty light, I don’t see him breaking the uni any time soon.

Personally I’d just ask him to use the MUni. If you want to spend money put some into some lumber and construct some obstacles, or spend it on a trip to Toque or Motorama or whatever trials gathering, or a couple of good unicycling videos. Also spend $10-20 on the wheel at a local bike shop to ensure it is tensioned and trued properly.

The MUni should be fine for whatever trials he wants to do. When he destroys the MUni, it’s time for an upgrade.

My two cents.

Wow…your 10 year old has been riding almost twice as long as me…

My 8 year old son has been riding less than a year. He has it made. I’m 44 he will have plenty of hand me downs from me. :smiley:
This new generation of riders starting at the single digit age, if they stick with it will be awesome at 20. Makes you wonder how far the sport will go. One Wheel No Limit :smiley: