Yeah that video, and also seeing Chuck do it in person, is what inspired me to try it. Looks like Beau hit a good DH section in the vid since as soon as his feet come off the pedals, his speed seems to almost double! You can tell by comeparing how fast hos cranks are spinning when he’s riding, then the cranks start spinning much faster as soon as he takes his feet off the pedals!

I think this is part of the key; getting enough sustained speed on a downhill so you won’t stop too soon with the brake. I’m going out later today to try it again. Very tricky regardless.:slight_smile:

*Edit: Might be easier to watch Beau here if you don’t have facebook: Beau Unicycling Videos - nhoover

Sorry about that, I thought you meant this video, “24”. Yes, for some reason the other one I linked a bit earlier showing my bad fall was set to private. Sorry about that. It’s up now.

Thanks Shug! Yeah the old shoulder is doing much better as long as I don’t over stress it…which is a hard not to do when I ride! And you’re right about the rolling no-footer thing; I must’ve spent 5 hours trying to do it, take after take, and all I could get was barely one revolution with my dogs off the pedals! And getting my feet back ON them was also tricky! :o

So that was the bad landing of yours. :slight_smile:
I thought about this one when you posted something about a bad bail, but I didn’t think it happened 8 months ago. Boy, time is flying when I’m riding my unicycle. Suddenly I’m 53. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, it was one of my bad landings, lol. Didn’t you think it looked bad? I can sure say that it was a very hard and painful landing; probably a lot worse than it looked in the clip. :o

And after almost a solid 2 years of riding Muni–almost daily–I finally put a new Intense 24x3 on my old KH warhorse! The old one still has plenty of tread on it, but on a recent ride, the side of my tire impacted against a sharp rock and took a chunk out of it the size of an eraser head. Didn’t look serious, but put on a new one just to be safe.

That leaves me with 4 more new intense tires to last me for years to come! :smiley:

then you’ll have to find something else to stock pile in just in case :smiley:
Cool vid terry, I wish my brakes worked now, I keep wanting to try that on my paper round, I’ve done it once or twice but they weren’t very good lol. I want to go and practice them now :D:D

It did look very harsh, I just forgot to comment it. :p:D

I went out and tried it again yesterday and got 2 full revs, but just missed getting my feet back on the pedals to ride away. That’s another tricky part of doing it.

haha np. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to sound overly critical, but the parts where youre riding a unicycle aren’t all that interesting. :slight_smile: But the rest is great!
The 24 theme occurred to me, but technical bit I’d like to solve is how they show a 4 frame collage.
Rattlesnakes! Sheesh. And I thought the cactus was enough motivation not to fall. Does KH armour help?
Neat little ramp for gap practice.
No footer looks great! Seems like it would be impossible. I guess brake helps, and its kind of equivalent to gliding with your feet on the wheel, but looks completely different.

Last week I managed to strip the cranks on my KH24. Its hard to find old style cranks, but I was able to get a shop to put in a “helicoil”, and its good as new.

You might want to look into sewing some motorbike body armour (I use a forcefield armour top for muni) into your shoulder, elbow, chest and back of a top you like. It will take time to adjust to the discomfort of using this in hot conditions but it’s less uncomfortable than serious injury. The forcefield stuff I use is breathable.

One of the problems of being a veteran (I’m a mere 40 year old) is injuries tend to be worse and take longer to heal. Whenever I consider leaving mine behind I remind myself how gutted I would be if I couldn’t ride anymore…

Haha, yeah I’m the first to admit it wasn’t my best riding, and a good deal of the footage was shot after my shoulder injury, which seems to be totally pain free and healed now. :slight_smile: I’m working on my next video which I hope will show me in better form. I try to always give it my best and I really like putting in as much variety as I can. I figure even if some may not like everything in it, they might at least find something they like about it, lol. :o

Also, I know I can’t compete on the level of the younger riders, and so I think most of my videos are mostly geared toward those over 35 or so. I love hearing from other “middle aged kids” that see my videos, who had thought they were too old to learn, especially when it comes to the more extreme types of riding. That makes it worth it to me to keep making videos. :smiley:

Yeah, actually I have a pressure suit armor thing that I wore in one of my older videos. Very cumbersome and probably over kill, but it does have the shoulder and back protection, which can definitely prevent or at least lessen serious injury. And the older we get, the more vulnerable we are! :o

Terry … I for one watch all uni vids for the total creation and not just “Big Awesome Mind-Numbing Tricks”… That is all cool but I get bored by that. How many times can I watch high-hopping or seat twirling or crank flips … which I know are hard but seem a lot of work when my non-uni friends think those on video doing them are about to crash :stuck_out_tongue:
You videos have a story, interesting backdrops, a very enthusiastic YOU but mostly … a “mature athlete” with soul.
Shug
Unigezer Fan

Thanks Sean. I’m working on a new video but it does get to be a challenge trying to “top” yourself each time, as I’m not getting any younger, lol. It’s just so fun making them and I like the whole process from the first shot to editing to final upload. :smiley: