Tool for Adjusting Pedal Bearings

Like all bearings, pedal bearings require servicing from time to time. I have some 20 year old Wellgo pedals that were starting to get stiff and needed cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. I could not find a tool to install and adjust the bearings so I made one.

A pedal bearing adjusting tool made out of a 5/8" bolt. For my Wellgo pedals they required a 11mm size on the bearing adjusting nut and 9mm on the lock nut. This is a quick simple to make tool. I used a metal lathe but with some care it could be made with a drill press.

Full details and photos, look here: https://pbase.com/jimthode/pedal_tool

Adjust/Locking tool

[QUOTE=JimT;1706055]

A pedal bearing adjusting tool made out of a 5/8" bolt. For my Wellgo pedals they required a 11mm size on the bearing adjusting nut and 9mm on the lock nut. This is a quick simple to make tool. I used a metal lathe but with some care it could be made with a drill press.

Jim, Thank you! Mine are as old and with your permission I’ll make one too!
I love it, Mark.

Mark, Ideas are free, anyone is welcome to make one.

Be aware that some pedals have different sized nuts. Also some have a keyed flat washer between the adjusting nut and lock nut and they can be installed/adjusted without any special tools. My pedals had no keyed washer and no provision for one so they required the special tool.

No keyed washer.

Thanks again Jim, I have those same pedals.

That is a really cool tool. I can’t say that I’ve ever worked on a pedal that didn’t have a toothed washer. Still, this tool would make bearing adjustment much easier since you could monitor end play in real time as you lock the nut to the cone.