Tips For A Backyard Trials Course

Hi,

I’ve been thinking about building a trials course. I usually ride Urban, what I consider MUni and Trials mixed into one. There are no mountain bike trials courses around, or any types of trials courses for any matter, so I think it would be fun to have my own in my backyard.

Now, I’ll have to clear this all up with the pee and em (from A Clockwork Orange, means parents), but I’m looking for any suggestions, or directions, or any help that I can find on the net, to help me build a nice trials course. One that has obstacles ranging to even North Shore style, and from 2’ to up to 10’

Thanx

Evan

Re: Tips For A Backyard Trials Course

In Toronto, and what I have made my own, is who pieces of plywood hooked
together with a hinge at the top. Then add decent rope to keep them from
falling down, and a 2x4 running the length on either side, and it’s done. This
description may be hard to understand, but they end up looking like ( <| ),
with ( < ) being the obstacle, and ( | ) being the ground. someone else
can help me explain I would assume?
Also Spools are good obstacles. Small stairs can be fun (freestanding that

is), Small Trampolines, Logs with supports can be difficult. An old car Maybe?

A large stool? lots of things work. that’s all i can think of right now,
sorry.
Max A Dingemans

Mt Uni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve been thinking about building a trials course. I usually ride
> Urban, what I consider MUni and Trials mixed into one. There are no
> mountain bike trials courses around, or any types of trials courses for
> any matter, so I think it would be fun to have my own in my backyard.
>
> Now, I’ll have to clear this all up with the pee and em (from A
> Clockwork Orange, means parents), but I’m looking for any suggestions,
> or directions, or any help that I can find on the net, to help me build
> a nice trials course. One that has obstacles ranging to even North
> Shore style, and from 2’ to up to 10’
>
> Thanx
>
> Evan
>
> –
> Mt Uni
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mt Uni’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/20
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/17463
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________
> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

Re: Re: Tips For A Backyard Trials Course

This car is not an obstacle…

I think Dingeman is describing a sandwich board. Teeter totters are fun. Two teeter totters connected are fun as well. Make two teeter totters and connect them with an old piece of tire or rubber or something. For really cool obstacles check out some North Shore videos NSX 1-5.
Log piles are something you can use and then burn in your fireplace when you get tired of them.
I think spools can be obtained from some electric companies if you pay the deposit on them.

Re: Tips For A Backyard Trials Course

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:40:53 -0500, Mt Uni
<Mt.Uni.32lhm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

I misread the subject as Tips For A Backward Trials Course. Wouldn’t
that be fun?

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“THAAD, 3P-HV, domestic disruption”

If you need some large spools I might be able to get you some. I work at Kings Island in Cincinnati Ohio, and we go though a several spools a year. If you want me to look for them, just reply to this post. Maybe we could meet halfway for delervery, since UPS could be VERY expensive. PS I go to ceder point and cleveland usually once a summer, so delervery wouldnt be too bad.

My dad works for the power company, so I can snag some spools if anyone in Florida wants some.

Hi,

Thanks guys…Anyone know where I might find bluebrints or technical aspects to some of the obsticles…Like some of the North Shore stuff?

Um I live in Adrian Michigan, so I’d probably get spools through you Tel! I wouldn’t need them probably until summer anyhow. I still have to clear this all the way up with my parents, so I’m not sure yet.

Evan

Stacked wooden palettes are always fun for pedal grabs, gapping, etc. You might want to screw them together and maybe put a piece of plywood on top.

You should be able to get them from a local manufacturing plant for next to nothing.

If I recall, some of the Kris Holm workshop videos on Jeff Lutkus’ server show some pretty good trials obstacles. The url is http://lutkus.com/ It doesnt seem to be working right now.