The world's second best unicycle seat (for tightwads)

I didn’t trim anything.
Just flattenend the boiled base and the reinforcement plate with the bench vice/vise and put back the parts together.
Removed the old staples removed with a plain screwdriver, stapled the cover back on with teh stapler in the pic (using 4mm lonmg staples).

Greetings

Byc

stapler.jpg

Thanks for explanations!

The newer/current FFR foam is MUCH firmer than the old version since it’s dual-density. I have both the old and current vers. foam and there’s no comparison. So if you have the older foam, then yes, it’s super soft and spongy.

Its the 2012 seat way soft

Hmm, that would be the dual density then. Mine is super firm so I’m not sure why yours would be too soft. Unless Kris changed it back to a single density foam, but I don’t think so.

Hmm, that would be the dual density then. Mine is super firm so I’m not sure why yours would be too soft. Unless Kris changed it back to a single density foam, but the current description on UDC states that it’s dual density.

Its dual density, i like super thin hard saddles like the naomi

So is this worth doing? There doesn’t seem to be that much positive feedback in this thread (other than people doing it to many of their saddles).

Is the flattened seat better than the curved seat?

Absolutely! I will not ride a curved seat ever again.

But what is to be determined is whether a perfectly flat seat is better or whether a slight curve is helpful, then there’s the issue of what foam works best and how to modify the existing foam for a better feel.

The Velo seats are easiest to flatten, but they are also more flexy after being flattened. The new KH seat base (I think the new Nimbus bases are the same) will retain more rigidity when flattened, so go that direction if ride muni or use a touring handle.

Think of it as a work in progress :slight_smile:

Re: curve

Following this thread for my husband. if you decide a little curve helps, couldn’t you use foam to shape it up? We use closed cell foam to make kayak seats. it is soft but firm at the same time :roll_eyes: You can easily shape it with a wire brush or shark skin and attach it with contact cement. We have a Nimbus saddle we are not using. Will probably give it a try with that.

Great, that was the answer I was looking for!

Hey Ben,
So which saddle do you prefer, the Flatfish or the flatened KH?

Do you feel the flatened KH feels too far back as well or have you adapted to the feel now?

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete, I like em both, but I still feel ike they “both” need to come forward on the post a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

The NNC is narrower and flatter, lighter too, so a good base to start a build up. The Nylon bases take some work and are a little wider at the waist, the older Velo is not as stiff as the NNC, the newer KH base flattened with an external KH seat stiffener plate is close to as stiff as the NNC.

I’m going to go for a super flattening on another new style KH Freeride this weekend, taking the foam channel even thinner, possibly try to narrow the seat at the waist using a heat gun.

As to the foam difference, maybe Kris could speak to the multidensity of the Freeride, but it seems as though the inner foam is firm like a street, then a second softer layer is formed over it and is used to create the center channel.

On the Nimbus Gel pre 2008, the gel pad is in the nose, so it relaly doesn’t make a difference for a flat seat, but according to Steve at UDC, the newer Nimbus gel pad and KH gel pad are smaller and located over the seat post area.

Steve also said that the newer Nimbus saddles used the same base as the newer KH saddles…

Yep, they both use the KH base.

[QUOTE=Nurse Ben;1571730]
Pete, I like em both, but I still feel ike they “both” need to come forward on the post a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

The NNC is narrower and flatter, lighter too, so a good base to start a build up. The Nylon bases take some work and are a little wider at the waist, the older Velo is not as stiff as the NNC, the newer KH base flattened with an external KH seat stiffener plate is close to as stiff as the NNC.

I’m going to go for a super flattening on another new style KH Freeride this weekend, taking the foam channel even thinner, possibly try to narrow the seat at the waist using a heat gun.

As to the foam difference, maybe Kris could speak to the multidensity of the Freeride, but it seems as though the inner foam is firm like a street, then a second softer layer is formed over it and is used to create the center channel.

Cool, I just finished a trials Flatfish using a KH Fusion Slim, came out light and stiff. I am thinking of trying that on my Muni as it feels firm but still comfy, really feels like a bike seat.

000_0001.JPG

000_0002.JPG

000_0004.JPG

[quote=“Pete NNC,post:56,topic:119980”]

I like the narrow profile of you seats Pete, and they are beautifully made.
How did you mount the seat cover, are those rivets in the last picture?

Greetings

Byc

I don’t think it matters much where the seat post connects to the seat; the physics of balance means that your butt has to end up in the same place relative to the axle when you ride. The shape of the connection between those two locations doesn’t matter.

If you’re sitting with your weight behind the seatpost, the seat+post has to rotate forward to put your weight over the axle, which tilts the seat down some - so you do need to tilt the seat backward more on the mount if you have a forward post (to keep the same actual riding position).

I don’t have a “proper” flat saddle, but I did fill in the valley of my KH Freeride with some wooden pieces to flatten it out, and ended up buying an adjustable seatpost so I could get the backward tilt I needed.

The other thing I’ve noticed about the flat seat is that it only solves half the problem of supporting the sit bones; the other half is our upright riding position. Even with the flat saddle I can only get comfortable if I’m leaning forward with my hands on a support in front of the saddle, so I ended up putting an extension on my muni grab handle, for use on the easier cruising sections of trail.

[quote=“Byc,post:57,topic:119980”]

Hi Byc,
Cheers.

Yes 3mm pop rivets with washers, I hold the cover in place with spray glue and then drill and rivet.

Pete.

I agree with you, you can’t compare a uni with a bicycle because the bicycle is fixed in the pitch axis, ie two wheels the angle of the seat can not change, where with the uni the seat position is completely relitive to the centre of gravity.

My first Muni seat did not have a foam wedge at the back so the seat sloped down at the rear, it was comfy to ride but looked weird, maybe this wold make sitting more upright better for you?

Finished and tested (no offroad, only street, curbs, ramps etc) the third seat, the Qu-Ax Muni seat on my 26".

Will never go back to curved i think, really great riding these “flat” ones. Just mount the uni, find your ideal sitting position and ride on. Nearly nothing to worry about proper positioning of delicate body parts, and i’ve been riding in jeans only so far. I figure that it’d be even more comfortable when wearing bike shorts.

Big thanks to everyone driving this flat seat idea forward. Cheers to Pete for building and testing the Flatfish NNC base, next time i upgrade i’ll make sure to get one of his masterpieces.

Greetings

Byc

Foto0359.jpg

Foto0362.jpg

Foto0363.jpg

Foto0367.jpg

Foto0368.jpg

Foto0369.jpg

Foto0371.jpg