The 'schlumpf' experience- to a non user

They’re definitely great for flowy, low-UPD trails like that. On an ungeared MUni that trail would get boring quick.

Looks like a perfect 36er trail to me. :wink:

There’s a fair amount of “too hard for 36” trail to get there and back. Plus, it is steeper than it looks. Probably doable on a 36, but it would be scary. I have run into beginner bicyclists that are afraid to ride “The Chutes”.

Bunch of sissies :wink:

Ya beat me to it!

… or the perfect trail for a 24-26er GUni! Except that you still also have the ability to gear down for technical trails and hills where you couldn’t on a 36er. Plus it’s a while lot easier to travel with a 24" or 26" uni than a 36er. Just saying. Not knocking the 36er, I still have one and there is nothing like blasting some easier XC trail on it but where I live there isn’t a lot of trails like that around. For a wide range of versatility with ONE unicycle you can’t beat a GUni.

I’m trying to use the term ‘Unguni’ as much as possible, because it is my contribution to the Unicycling lexicon. Maybe it might take off, maybe it won’t. But I’m going to repeat it until you’re sick of it, and then start using it :slight_smile:

Besides, it sounds cool, just like Un-icycle.

“Un-icycle” doesn’t work for those of us that ride in the winter. :wink:

Why? It looks like quite a nice ride, plenty of curves to throw yourself into. If it gets boring, just pedal faster.

I guess if someone’s looking for hardcore muni, with plenty of drops and rocks and climbs, then they’d get bored. But a lot of people like to just ride (which is pretty much what the guy in the vid is doing), in which case that trail looks pretty good.

A quick question- the geared hub, from what people have said here, requires a fair bit of getting used to, and has issues like crank ‘slop’ etc.

Are they down to the fact that it’s got 2 gears?

If, for example, a hub was made that only had the high gear, so you had a unicycle whose wheel turned faster than the cranks (and so went faster than an unguni)- would that still have the above issues.

I’m asking because like GizmoDuck says

I also like the pure simplicity and almost zero-maintenance requirements of the unicycle- I don’t even use a brake, and can’t imagine ever getting a schlumpf.

But the thought of 24" uni that, due to a few cogs in a hub, could go at almost the speed of an ungeared coker, is quite appealing. Obviously not as simple as a unguni,. but less complex than a 2 gear schlumpf.

Not to create the wrong impression, “sluggish” to me is a quick description of the difference between geared and ugeared on the same uni. I LOVE riding my geared 36", and put way more miles on it than any other uni I have.

While I like the idea of shifting with the feet (simplicity) and the skill required, at the same time I agree that it sucks. If I had an easier ability to shift, that wouldn’t depend on what shoes I was wearing, I wonder what I could do then?

Here’s a picture of a Schlumpf with hand shifters. It was built by a guy from the Netherlands (I think) but I can’t remember his name. Cables pull tight over the buttons to push them in. Cool!

So sad. But having been to urban apartments (including Hong Kong, where my friend had a roommate living in a closet, I understand when space is at a premium!

Absolutely. I would not be afraid to take of on a ride with bicycling friends, where in the past I’d have to ask questions first. Now all I need are some bicycling friends… :stuck_out_tongue:

YUM! And that’s why part of me wants another one, with a 26" wheel and all the bells and whistles for zooming down the smoother trails, while still being able to get through the non-Cokerable parts.

Good luck with that. I still spell MUni with two capital letters, but I’ve stopped expecting people to spell it that way. Except in the Trivial Pursuit 20th Century Edition (board game). :slight_smile:

There is slop in any planetary or chain gearing system. You could do a jackshaft/mini giraffe chain drive instead of a Schlumpf, but it would still have slop. A shaft drive might have less slop, but slop isn’t a major factor so the downsides of shaft (mainly weight) drive probably aren’t worth it.

Like one of these http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/road-24-36/26-huni-rex-unicycle-black.html

Ah… the Huni-Rex. I am intrigued by those. Has anyone here ridden one, or know of any links to the kind of impartial reviews we get on this board? (I’m wary of some of what I’ve seen cos it seems to have come from people involved with the company, so I’ve got concerns about impartiality).

In particular, any reasons to think it would be less prone to mechanical issues than the schlumpf?

Seems strange that that’s not available as an option on the schlumpf- given that ‘foot shifting’ sees to be something that many find difficult, and, which for some, actually restricts their choice of shoe and crank length.

Plus, of course, the necessity for making the foot shift easier/feasible, also leads to the risk of unwanted shifts.

Obviously, it would involve expense/research for schlumpf, for, I can imagine, by opening the geared hub to a wider market (those who want the benefits of the hub, without the learning curve and downsides of foot shifting) sales would increase considerably?

Careful now, when I made that suggestion I was tarred and feathered…

Don’t try to rationalize a geared hub, remember, it’s still a unicycle.

The geared hub concept needs work, otherwise we wouldn’t have so many discussion about it’s weaknesses, but it’s a complicated and expensive product that has only been tackled successfully by one guy.

It needs three “adjustable” speeds (or more)
It needs to be shiftable by hand
It needs a disc mount

And some day we’ll have those things, but not today.

Meanwhile, I am building up a muni tire for my 32" wheel :smiley:

There are many ways to slice a pumpkin.

A hand shifter system could be marketable, and it would probably sell, so maybe that’s the next step?

I do not see how that could work without twisting the cable around the hub as you pedal to be honest. Wicked paint job though.

(Also, the flag on the uni is Danish.)

And it would be very cool to have.

I’m a fan of UN-icycles, UN-gunis and wearing UN-derwear.

So repeat after me…

Ungunis are awesome, just like Unicycles and clean Underwear.

:slight_smile:

It’s really clever how it works. The cable from the thumbshifter flicks a little thingee out from the frame, which hits this other thing attached to the crank as it spins around.

The thing on the crank pulls on another cable which runs through the crank (hence no winding around the hub axle at all), and is attached to the Schlumpf button and pulls it across.

Whoops- just remembered that it’s a chain drive, so obviously will be less prone to mechanical problems (or at least be more fixable) than a internal gear hub.

Still interestd if anyone here’s ridden it, and, if so, what they think of it.

There’s a promo vid of it here-

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/road-24-36/26-huni-rex-unicycle-black.html

but, what worries me is that every one riding it seems to be finding it fairly difficult.

I missed that “tarring and feathering” and would be very interested in reading the thread- do you have a link to it.

I must say, I for one find the idea of a one geared hub that just increases the speed to be totally sensible, can’t really see what the problem would be…