The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Anyone try the Halo Ception 24x 2.6?

No more Kolossal? Oh well, it wasn’t thebest tire, kinda had a funny centerline and akward knobs on the shoulders. The picture you posted of the Roller is not one I’m familiar with, so it might work. What you want in a muni tire is sticky rubber, a flattish profile when mounted, and enough lugs to dig through muddier conditions, also light weight and wih enough volume to give you some ride cushion and rebound. Tires are not always true to their listed size, so it helps to see it mounted on your rim first, so maybe a shop would do that for you before you buy? On the KH 24 you have a wide rim, so most tires will flatten out nicely. In my experience it can take a few tire purchases before you find one you like, but in the end it’s worth the trouble.

And no, you don’t “need” a 3" tire, it’s just nice for certain conditions, though at your weight a narrower tire run at low pressures will be fine, just like my son’s friend who runs a 24x 2.6
Many folks run narrower tires than a 3", the 3" is more a muni trials/extreme tire.

Other 24" Muni Options

I’ve been looking for other options for 24" high-volume muni tires. In particular tires which aren’t being discontinued as it seems the Intense, IRC, Gazzoloddis are.

Does anyone have experience with either the Nokian Gazza North Shore or the Arrow Racing Wide Bite?

Thanks

Doesn’t look like it’s available in the USA. The Arrow tire is heavy, but I like Arrow tires, might be worth a try once the Intense and Duro become scarce.

I’ve gone to a 26" rim partly because I see the writing on the wall: 24" is going out of style. Hopefully I’m wrong, it will mess up the 24" muni scene if DH tires become obsolete.

I think 24" are easier to manage off road, esp in trials situations, but a 26" can do more or less the same given a big enough tire.

I think you’re exactly right. I come from a mountain biking background and was around when the 24" fad was in its heyday (about 2001-2). Pretty much every popular downhill tire came in a 24" version then. Not anymore. It’s really a shame muni isn’t popular enough to justify someone producing a solid 24"x3" uni-specific tire. I’m on the bigger side (#210, 6’3") and not sure a lower-volume tire is a good idea.

I’m new to unicycling, but the popularity of two odd sizes (24", 29") seems strange to me. The 29" size has increased popularity in mountain biking currently, but I wonder if it’s doomed to go the way of the 24".

What 26" setup (frame/wheel/tire) are you using Ben?

I just order a Kinetics DH 24x2.6 tire, wire. It was a rear one, on good sale. I hope it works out and was the right one. I think this is just under 1100 grams which would be good. Getting concerned there are so few 24" tires as this is the one I LOVE!!!

I started with a Nimbus frame, built a wheel using the KH Ti hub and a Koxx 26" drilled rim. The Koxx rim was the only wide rim until KH started making their 2" rim this past month. The KH rim is probably better quality, not that the Koxx is bad, but KH makes good stuff. I like the Koxx because I can get colors other than black.

This is my second 26" Nimbus, I ride a TRY ALL 2.5" now, previously on a Gzz 2.6", it’s not as cushy or easy to ride as a 3". I have even considered splitting the difference and getting a 2.6-2.7, but I still have a 24" muni with an Intense 3" so it’d be redundant.

BTW, I was just on the Cambria bikes website, looking at tires of course, and I saw a whole lot of tires choices in the 24" and 26" from 2.5" - 3" that would work well for muni.

If you go to their site, search tires, DH, then place your cursor over the buy now and it’ll give you sizing choices. Arrow, Intense, Kenda, and Continental all have some high volume choices in both rim sizes, though there’s more for a 26".

I think it’s just a case of use what there is. With a bike, wheel size isn’t as important (within reason of course) as you can just gear it to suit whatever riding you’re doing. With a unicycle, the direct drive means the wheel size matters more. For fast xc you want a big diameter. 26x3 DH tyres are nice if it’s rocky and you need/want more suspension (I’m a big fan of that size for my usual routes), but if you don’t need the cush and are saving weight, a lighter 26" xc tyre results in a noticeably smaller, slower wheel. Not much, admittedly, but certainly for racing you want to get that diameter back - hence the use of 700c rims with fat tyres (“29er”).

Of course, for light xc (or road) we often use a 36", which is an even weirder size! While it exists, use what’s available. Until we have (commonly available, reliable and inexpensive) multi-speed gearing on unicycles we’re going to be more fussy than bikers about wheel size.

Rob

I hadn’t meant to imply that liking or using a 24" or 29" size is strange. For me (and you and many others I am sure) a 24" is perhaps the best size. You’re certainly right that wheel size to a unicyclist is a big deal…in many ways one could argue it’s equivalent to frame size + frame geometry + wheel size in mountain bikes. And even the mountain bikers are fussy about wheel size. I met a rider last week who swears by 650c wheels. :thinking:

What I had intended to comment on was the relative lack of 26" options compared to 24" and 29". Admittedly I am new to unicycling and wasn’t aware of many 26" muni options out there. As I’ve researched more in the last week, it seems that a good number of 26" munis do exist and are increasing in number (Kris Holm model in late 2009 for example).

I think it is a blessing and curse to be in a fringe sport. In some ways choosing from two tires is easier than from a hundred. :slight_smile:

I am considering to get a try-all 26x2.5 tire to put on my geared 26" wheel (which is still on its second long vacation in Switzerland and no sign of a return so far). It will go into the KH29 frame for now, and if I like it better than a 3" beast I may get the KH26 frame after all. I thought about it once more and found that I should try to get that setup lighter. I think that would make it about 300g lighter then. Does anybody know the exact weight of the stiky?

1300 gr in 26"

Thanks!

It doesn’t seem that heavy, but then again it does seem about the same weight as the 3" Duro :roll_eyes:

If I can get the Stiky off the rim, I’m going to mount a 3" on my 26er, so I’ll post a review soon. I expect that it’ll ride like it’s smaller breathren (24 x 3).

Good luck with that.

OMFG! I broke two nylon levers and bent three aluminum levers trying to get the TRY ALL Stiky off the Koxx rim and I still couldn’t get the tire off!! So I had to cut the wire bead to remove the tire! What a huge waste :frowning:

Oh well, so at least I got the Duro 3" installed, though it wasn’t much easier to install than the Stiky. Anyone else have trouble mounting tires on the Koxx rims? Is it me or is there a problem with these rims, i.e. slightly bigger diameter? I have had no problems mounting similar tires on KH, UDC, and other rims. Wierd.

I’ll post a review of the Duro 26 x 3 later this weekend.

I had to buy steel motocross levers for my MUni tires, they don’t go down without a fight.

Must be the Koxx rim - I’ve had no problem mounting or removing Duro 3" tyres from my Alex DX32 or new Nimbus rim (which I believe is the same as a 2005 KH). Goes on without levers, comes off with normal nylon ParkTool ones. I’ve not tried a TryAll tyre though.

Rob

I agree, it was quite difficult to mount the Duro, which is odd, so I’m thinking it’s the rim, maybe the sidewall is taller?

Anyway, I rode the 26 x 3 Duro Wildlife Leopard, I’ll try to compare it the 24 x 3 version of the same tire and the Intense DH 24 x 3.

The Intense DH has a stiff sidewall, so it is nice for carving, holds a nice line through tricky soils, but tends to cut the shoulders of the trail where a softer shouldered tire like the Duro might conform a little better.

The 26" duro is very similar to the 24" duro, though being taller it is a bit better at tracking, but a bit more difficult to work through tight terrain. I did find that I had to run a little more pressure in the Duro than I did in the Intense, this is probably due to the sidewall differences.

I do like the Duro, it is nice and sticky and seems to mold itself well to the terrain, making it easier to work over obstacles at speed. However, at my weight (200#) the tire did seem to fold over onto the sidewall more easilly, which can make riding at low pressures a little squirrely.

In comaprison to my previous two 26er tires, the TRY ALL Stiky 2.5 and the Gazz Jr 2.6, I find the extra volume to be more compatible with technical riding, riding over obstacles, but it is a little slower than the narrower tires and does not hold a line as well as the lower volume Stiky. The Gazz Jr 2.6 has a stiffer sidewall, so it rides more like the Intense DH.

Nice tire overall, not an XC tire, but decent for crossover use. I’ll probably build an XC 26er and run an MTB tire 2.3-2.5

could i get a review on the

could i get a review on the Panaracer Fire FR 24" x 2.4

i know it’s skinny
i like to carve and do some drops

hi, anyone experience with the racing ralph from schwalbe in 29"?
it weights only 580gr. and it’s a 2.4
sure the sidewalls are very soft, and it’s not very grippy, but how is it for xc?

i put it today on turtle’s V, because we have the 24h race at the end of june, and if it’s dry i think that could be a good choice…

who tried this tyre?