The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Hmm, I didn’t see it at Cambria for that price, but it is discounted from the original price. And Performance bike doesn’t have the Ardent 2.6

Hehehe, I got one on the way for $12, used price smash :slight_smile:

Oh well, $30 isn’t that much.

I am very happy with my Duro but my one quirk is that is HEAVY

High Roller 24x2.7

Hey,

I just noticed that the Maxxis High Roller comes in a 24x2.7 size. (See: http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhill/High-Roller.aspx)

I wonder what that ride would be like compared to the Duro 24x3? I also wonder who stocks it, and how much they want?

Just did a search: Phantom Cycles for $56 US & Chain Reaction for $59 US. Hmmm. Kinda pricey.

Is it worth it? Anybody give it a go yet?

Thx.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, might be a nice alternative to the Duro, comes in a couple different flavors, Cambria has the 60a, but you’d probably want the 42a (sticky).

I’d have thought the opposite - I’m fairly inexperienced so far, but can’t say I’ve ever noticed an issue with losing traction - is that really a big issue for muni even when you get better? When I’ve had grip problems it’s been more of an issue with lateral grip. Of course they do also suggest it has good braking grip - not really sure I understand the difference between that and traction!

I’m curious if anybody has tried one of these, given I can get one at a good price - already have a Racing Ralph 2.4, and was considering a Nobby Nic, but presume the slightly higher weight of the Albert is worth it for thicker sidewalls and better handling at lower pressure (I’m currently back on the Duro as the trails got too slippery for the Ralph, and like the ability to run lower pressure, but not the weight or the slow rolling).

…or is a Rubber Queen 2.4 likely to be a better bet than the Fat Albert?

The Rubber Queen 2.4 is certainly a nice muni tyre - quite a good compromise between something like a Duro and lighter xc stuff like the RR.

Like Rob said, the Rubber Queen (Trail King here in NA) 2.4 has good volume at a good weight. Mine measures 2.6" on a 47mm rim (plus it’s a tall tire) and weighs 950g. I’ve been very happy with it for the trails I ride.

The rubber queen is so far the best tire i used.

I had:

• Schwalbe Muddy Mary (2.5 - wired, heavy DH tire at 1200g - my backup tire for normal conditions, but very high rolling resistance)
  • TryAll Sticky (trials tire, nice grip, bouncy but also heavy)
  • Schwalbe Dirty Dan (heavy rain/mud tire, still have it for bad weather :wink: )
  • Conti Rubber Queen
  • some Maxxis XC tire in 2.2… dont use XC tires for DH… lot of punctures…

My girlfriend used the High Roller (2.7) on her 24" before. She said its much better than the Duro - easier to handle and a lot lighter.
She now converted to a 26" + Rubber Queen and likes the combo even more :wink:

Btw… if you get the Rubber Queen, try and get it in the Hot Chili compound (or Black Chili… whatever its called). Its worth the money.

My 24" Gazz is wearing out :frowning: I’ve been ignoring it for a while but I will need to replace it soon.
Whats the closest alternative I can get? I really need a 3" wide tyre because of the drops I do.

I have been hunting the UK for a Gazz for the last 3 months without much luck in the end I have just found a mate who does Dirt Jumping and some of his friends run 24" so have found someone with an almost new one they will sell me for £15.

They really are rare as hens teeth over here.

I have been running a Duro but have no direct comparison to the Gazz, but it certainly doesn’t let me down (but then I am noob who does tiny drops).

The other option you might want to take is to go for a Large Marge rim as that is really meant to help the tyre on drops as the side walls are more parallel. I will be ordering my LM and UDC disc rim this week :slight_smile:

My Qu-Ax Cross 29 came with a Kenda Karma tyre, which has served me well over the last year or so. Unfortunately I got a wire through the sidewall quite a while ago and the tube is starting to bulge through.

I am therefore looking for a replacement tyre, and I think I might as well try something new instead of just replacing the tyre with an identical one. The closest LBS has a few 29er tyres immediately available, but I am sure I can ask for them to order something else:

• Schwalbe Racing Ralph
  • Maxxis Crossmark
  • Bontrager XR1

I am mostly using this uni for road-riding along with some cross-country races. My muni style is rolling-based, rather than hopping.

I have heard that the Racing Ralph has rather thin sidewalls, but is great on hardpack. It is also the most expensive, but not relatively comparable. I would rather have something a little beefier, since thorns are relatively common in the races. The Crossmark and Bontrager do not seem to have been reviewed much here.

In addition, for some reason, I do not have much clearance between the frame and the tyre (I have seen a newer Qu-Ax 29er and they seem to have made some changes, one of which is the clearance). Does anyone have any suggestions of which of these might be most suitable for my purposes?

Don’t really want to go for a Large Marge. Its way overkill and looks stupid in my opinion.
I’ll probably go with the Duro and see how it rides.

Cheers!

@ Edd, talking as somebody who never does big drops so is quite probably talking out of my rear, I thought the Duro had thicker sidewalls than the Gazz - so shouldn’t it be even better for landing drops?

Other than that, it’s a rounder profile than the Gazz, which I personally prefer for handling, but people say the squarer profile of the Gazz is better for riding skinnies and traction on steep slippery climbs. I’ve only ridden a Gazz a few times on borrowed unis, so it’s possibly just what I’m used to, but I actually prefer the Duro - can’t see what all the fuss is about with the Gazz :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob

Cheers Rob. Looks like the Duro might be a good alternative then. I must admit, I’ve never ridden another muni tyre except the Halo Ception (Never again btw, rubbish tyre and a total waste of money).

The Duro Leopard is the same thing as a Halo Contra. The Ception looks to be a narrower (2.6"?) version of the same thing to me - what was it you didn’t like about the Ception?

Well I’ve pulled the trigger on a Fat Albert 2.4 (front) - I figure somebody has to try one. Also found a German mag review in which they preferred it to a Rubber Queen. Got an Evo Snakeskin one for £23, when a Black Chilli RQ would have been twice that (and even a basic version still more expensive).

Have just got fed up with the weight of the Duro - not convinced I need it for the riding I do, and the extra kg of weight (+ however much for the 3" tube) makes hopping onto stuff harder work. Meanwhile it’s still to muddy for my Ralph.

I think the Ception might even be a 2.4. It was definitely too skinny anyway, if I had it pumped up enough to avoid smashing the rim off the ground it was much too hard and twitchy. The compound of the rubber is horribly hard and gives absolutely no grip. I put it on my trials bike and I can wheelspin on dry tarmac!

I have given them another call and they also have the Kenda Happy Medium, which I have not found any reference to here either.

On the downside, 2.1 is a bit narrow for muni, from what most of what I have read.