The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

My buddy runs the purgatory’s on his b*ke and likes them, so maybe I’ll have a looky-look at those.

Thanks for the offer on trying them out, if I decide to do that I’ll let you know.

One more question,

At the moment my only other 26er tube is a 3" Duro tube (yeah, heavy). If I get a new tire, I’d likely just buy a smaller tube, but in the event that my brain collapses and I don’t, is there any harm in running a 3" tube in a 2.35" tire?

Maxxis Holy Roller

Greetings all,

I’e been running a Duro Leopard for quite a while on my 26" Nimbus (that and a Hookworm came with the uni when I bought it from a forum member).
They’re both great tires, but a little heavy. I use this uni mainly for off-road, but I also end up doing a fair amount of road riding on it around my office. So I recently started to look around for a possible lighter weight tire to try. The Maxxis Holy Roller seemed to get good reviews for being a good dual-use tire. I got one from “Bike Tires Direct.com” for $37, plus shipping. I also got a lighter-weight Continental tube at the same time. Total weight for both is almost half of what I had before, noticeably lighter.
I’ve had it on for about a week now, and I like it so far. It’s a lot smoother on a paved road surface than the Duro, and it seems to have good traction off road. I don’t notice any difference from the Duro. It’s not supposed to be very good in mud, but here in L.A. that’s hardly a problem. It’s dry dirt and rocks pretty much everywhere. I’ve also noticed it being a little easier to pedal up hills.
Overall, I give it a “thumbs up” recommendation.

Jenson USA has the 26x2.7 Maxxis High Roller on closeout sale. Been a hard tire to find at retail, for me at least.

Duro Razorback

Has anyone tested a Razorback yet? It should be the same as the Wildlife Leopard. But is it really identical, or did they not only change the name of the product?
What keeps me wondering is the fact, that the 24x3" Wildlife Leopard is told to weight 1,55 kg/ 1,495kg while the Razorback is told to weight 1,255kg/ 1,255kg. Is the Razorback really 200 to 300 gramms lighter than the Wildlife?
If this is the case, i could save up to 480g by changing the Wildlife Leopard to a Razorback and the Duro tube to a Schwalbe 24x 2.10- 3.0 AV10D tube.

Is the Schwalbe tube as good as the Duro?

Duro Wildlife Leopard vs. Duro Razorback

Hey, I got answer from DURO (Hwa Fong Rubber)!

Both tires have (as we all thought) the same geometry and pattern. The only difference is the used compund. The Razorback therefore has more wear resistance and less weight.

When the numbers I find are correct, you can save about 240g rotating mass by replacing the Wildlife with a Razorback (24x3")!

Seems to be a great tire! :slight_smile:

Has anybody tried Schwalbe Magic Mary? http://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/magic-mary.html
It seems like little sister of Muddy Mary, which I’ve seen some riders using and happy about.
Also I have a question regarding Hans Dampf. Has anybody tried Performance version of HD? It seems to have dual compound and is half the price of Evolution line ones, so I’m tempted to try it as my XC tire.

Dual Chamber Tire System

Schwalbe and Syntace made a really cool developement: a dual chamber tire system. Sounds interesting: “There is an additional air chamber inside the tire. This inner chamber is filled with high air pressure and effectively prevents the tire hitting the edge of the rim. At the same time, the inner system also secures the tire on the rim and prevents the dreaded “burping”, a loss of air of the tubeless system in the case of low pressure. Depending on the situation, the air pressure in the outer chamber can now be reduced to 1 bar (14psi) without running any risk.” This could really be an interesting option for Munis.

See this article for more Information.

Weight Penalty

Sounds cool but I’m guessing it will have a significant weight penalty.

They say +200g … but they don’t say in comparison to what…

What do you do if you tear the tyre too badly to run tubeless but not badly enough to bin it.

Also that inner tube is gonna cost a lot and the spacing between the dual valves is going to force a specific spoke count and possibly a proprietary rim.

I can see that being a great idea!

Only concern is will it work with the wider rims? Such as the 47mm wide rims.

Calling Nurse Ben…

Calling Nurse Ben. Calling Nurse Ben. How does it ride sir?

Hmmmm…

The tread pattern of the 2-ply High Roller (hyperlinked) looks nothing like the tire on Lance’s uni (Holy Roller). In fact it looks kinda dreadful for unis. (See bwrightback’s thread: Lose control with fatter tires?).

Caveat emptor!

I don’t think that our resident gear… expert… has used one of those but I could be proven wrong.

I built a very crude version years ago but never used it. There was a bunch of talk about them and some experimentation over at the mountain bike forums at the time.

We could probably start a thread on pneumatic bead locks, it’s a neat subject but could we keep this one on the topic of tires please?

The Holy Roller is more of a BMX dirt jumping tire, not a muni tire. The High Roller is a good one, and is the standard tire on the KH 26"

I was browsing around and just happened to notice webcyclery.com listing a Try-All Stiky Lite 26" Rear Tire, 2.5" wide, currently in stock. I’ve seen Try-All tires mentioned in some of the earliest posts to this thread but nothing lately and I had kinda figured they must be things of the past. Guess not! Has anyone been using them all along? Would it be worth trying one now?

As it happens, I’ve got a 26" Hans Dampf Super Gravity on its way to me right now so I’m not super tempted. But I’m curious enough to want to ask about it.

What ya’ll were waiting for right? Ride review to come in a week or so.

I am quite curious about this tire, which one did you get? 120 TPI folding or the 27 TPI wire bead?

I am considering getting the 120 TPI version to go on my 50mm rim for a nice light high volume setup that will fit in a KH frame.

The Surly Dirt Wizard (26 x 2.75):

Truth in advertising so far.

I’ve been running the 27 tpi version on a KH 47mm rim (tubed) in a Schlumpf wheel. The volume/weight (sub 1100g) ratio is quite nice. Traction is consistent. Cornering is predictable. I’ve been surprised on the trail by leaves covering mud through corners a couple of times and even though I slid, the tire worked predictably. No real noticeable pull in off camber situations either.

I’ve been looking for a good predictable tire with a 2.5"+ volume that didn’t feel like a boat anchor when in second gear. So far, so good. It most recently replaced a Bontrager XR4 Team Issue (a big 2.35 and sub 800g) which suffered from lack of traction in off camber situations. It also was difficult to find a pressure with that tire that allowed some bump absorption without being squirmy.

The Dirt Wizard is a fine tire. It did have some problems in 3" of peanut butter mud, but I haven’t found a tire that didn’t. When this one eventually wears out, I’ll buy another.

I can’t comment on the Dirt Wizard 120tpi version, but my personal preference for sidewall stability seems to require a tire weight of around 1000g. The Bontrager was nice and light, but the casing was just not good for muni for me. I’d be interested to hear other’s opinions on the lighter version, but I’ll probably stick with the 27tpi.