The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Some tires work great in some areas but not in others. I think if I were you I would just look for a tire aimed at the “all mountain” mountain biking crowd. Something a bit heavier duty than the light XC tires but not as heavy as full on DH tires.

I tried the wire bead Ardent 26x2.6 for a short stint and ended up giving it away since I didn’t like how the raised centre tread made it handle. Many other people use it and have no problem.

I love my 50mm rim with a Vredestein Bull Lock combo for most stuff but was getting a pinch flat every other ride when riding around sharp rocks, so it obviously was not suited to that…

My Duro 24 x 3" is 1750 gram, I had it on the scale.

Here in Europe Schwalbe tires are populair among MTB ers.
They are mostly true to their claimed width, and light.
If you want good grip, choose the Fat Albert or Big Betty . both are around 800 gram.

That describes me precisely. I’m short and light but the trails in my area have lots of roots. The smoothest 10% might qualify as XC so I do need some volume and roll-over ability.

This is probably a stupid question but Schwalbe makes two (front & rear version) Fat Albert tyres. I assume uni would use rear for the reliable power transfer. I’d probably lean towards the Big Betty any way for the durability. They are $90 but money is no object as I might have my LBS do the switch (from a presumable Duro 26x3) so I don’t plan on doing a lot of experimenting.

Good point. I had not thought of that. Then again, I’m not one to risk a flat. Reliability is key. Ben suggested the Maxxis Freeride 1.2 mm (350gm) tube. I’ll order one of those.

I do like the looks of that Continental 26 x 2.5 Der Kaiser (not to be confused with the Dan Baron). Also, my research shows the Kenda Nevegal to be 26 X 2.35 rather than 2.5 but I’m new at this. This tire shopping is loads of fun. I’m so glad I decided against a 24". :roll_eyes:

Tire shopping is loads of fun, yes, but i stayed by my Duro 3". Only exchanged the tube from the Duro to something lighter (Schwalbe 3"), in combination with the lighter pedals the uni lost about 500g. (Yes, i know, only beginners need that, professionals can ride anything).
It helped to make riding the 26" even more fun.

Greetings

Byc

What do you guys think of this (the Michelin Wild Grip’R Descent Technology Heavy Duty 26X2.6) tire? It’s the one that UDC is currently stocking on the KH26. Kris’s website shows his KH26 with a WTB Stout 26x2.3. Those are my top two choices so far. I put a lot of credence in what these guys suggest. I’ll ride pretty much what Josh tells me. He has not steered (pardon the pun) me wrong yet.

There’s a few “standard spec” tires out there on the KH26. Original spec was the Stout 26x2.3, which is still in stock in a few places. Then the Ardent 26x2.6. This has become essentially unavailable so will be re-spec’d again in future (note that there’s some differences in what’s available in Taiwan versus what you’ll find in a retail environment). Some importers of the KH26 have also been importing KH components and assembling them locally, so you’ll see some local varations on what tire is offered with the KH26. I’m currently running a Maxxis High Roller 26x2.5 and am really liking it. But ultimately I think there’s some big differences in what’s “best” depending on your body size, riding style, skill level, and priorities.

Kris

Thanks Kris! I will put the Maxxis High Roller on my short list of possible candidates for my soon-to-be-purchased 26" Nimbus Oracle (Unless, of course you announce a new kit that comes with a disc brake fitted “straight out of the box” before April;))

I have been using the ardent 26 x 2.4 on my G26er, an love it! I chose the folding bead to reduce the already heavy wheel weight, due mostly to the hub. It is surprisingly stable on drops and the traction is great. Love this tire but I do want to test the high roller, which also looks good.

Hmmm… I’ll have to read over this tread carefully, lots of informative posts in the last few days.

I’ve read bits and pieces of tire threads and it seems like tires are constantly phasing out of production. My concern is that the duro wildlife won’t be in production or otherwise available by the time my 26x3 wears out.

I’m sure a part of it is inexperience on my part, I simply don’t know what I’m missing because I’ve ridden 3 different tires, but the duro wildlife tire was an awesome step up for me when I first got a hold of one. For me it’s the volume more than anything. Anyway, I’ve kept an eye out for a duro wildlife on udc, they’ve been out of stock for a while - which got me thinking about the possibility of not being able to replace it one day.

I’ll have to re-scour the thread for good replacement ideas. BTW, one of the other tires I have experience with is the 700c WTB Stout. I haven’t gotten brave enough to take my 29er into the woods and part of that is because I don’t feel like that tire has enough volume to ride low pressure. It looks like a skinny baby compared to the duro.

I think the High Roller and Ardent use the same casings for their respective styles, folding, 3C, wire bead, in which case it’s the tread pattern that makes them different. Maybe someone who has both could chime in? The High Roller does come in a 2.7 which might be nice though it’s as heavy as a Duro

The Ardent 2.6/2.4 is smaller than the Duro by enough to notice, but it is still a good sized tire. The 2.6 wire bead can be had for $12 at Cambria/Performance bikes, get one and try it, the price is too good to pass up!

I’s like a bigger tire for my 29er, a High Roller 2.7 would be interesting :slight_smile:

Hey, look at that, the High Roller also comes in a 24 x 2.7!

Hmm, I didn’t see it at Cambria for that price, but it is discounted from the original price. And Performance bike doesn’t have the Ardent 2.6

Hehehe, I got one on the way for $12, used price smash :slight_smile:

Oh well, $30 isn’t that much.

I am very happy with my Duro but my one quirk is that is HEAVY

High Roller 24x2.7

Hey,

I just noticed that the Maxxis High Roller comes in a 24x2.7 size. (See: http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhill/High-Roller.aspx)

I wonder what that ride would be like compared to the Duro 24x3? I also wonder who stocks it, and how much they want?

Just did a search: Phantom Cycles for $56 US & Chain Reaction for $59 US. Hmmm. Kinda pricey.

Is it worth it? Anybody give it a go yet?

Thx.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, might be a nice alternative to the Duro, comes in a couple different flavors, Cambria has the 60a, but you’d probably want the 42a (sticky).

I’d have thought the opposite - I’m fairly inexperienced so far, but can’t say I’ve ever noticed an issue with losing traction - is that really a big issue for muni even when you get better? When I’ve had grip problems it’s been more of an issue with lateral grip. Of course they do also suggest it has good braking grip - not really sure I understand the difference between that and traction!

I’m curious if anybody has tried one of these, given I can get one at a good price - already have a Racing Ralph 2.4, and was considering a Nobby Nic, but presume the slightly higher weight of the Albert is worth it for thicker sidewalls and better handling at lower pressure (I’m currently back on the Duro as the trails got too slippery for the Ralph, and like the ability to run lower pressure, but not the weight or the slow rolling).

…or is a Rubber Queen 2.4 likely to be a better bet than the Fat Albert?

The Rubber Queen 2.4 is certainly a nice muni tyre - quite a good compromise between something like a Duro and lighter xc stuff like the RR.

Like Rob said, the Rubber Queen (Trail King here in NA) 2.4 has good volume at a good weight. Mine measures 2.6" on a 47mm rim (plus it’s a tall tire) and weighs 950g. I’ve been very happy with it for the trails I ride.

The rubber queen is so far the best tire i used.

I had:

• Schwalbe Muddy Mary (2.5 - wired, heavy DH tire at 1200g - my backup tire for normal conditions, but very high rolling resistance)
  • TryAll Sticky (trials tire, nice grip, bouncy but also heavy)
  • Schwalbe Dirty Dan (heavy rain/mud tire, still have it for bad weather :wink: )
  • Conti Rubber Queen
  • some Maxxis XC tire in 2.2… dont use XC tires for DH… lot of punctures…

My girlfriend used the High Roller (2.7) on her 24" before. She said its much better than the Duro - easier to handle and a lot lighter.
She now converted to a 26" + Rubber Queen and likes the combo even more :wink:

Btw… if you get the Rubber Queen, try and get it in the Hot Chili compound (or Black Chili… whatever its called). Its worth the money.