The Missing Link: A 32" unicycle, a' la Walmart and UDC

It’s almost done! I finished painting and truing the wheel, it wasn’t too bad, I had it true in about an hour and a half. I decided to put it on the frame and go out for a test ride. I loved it! Pretty hard to freemount compared to my 19" lol. But once I was on I stayed there. I rode about 4 or 5 miles, at 1 am and while it was snowing. I still have to paint the frame (right now it’s bare steel) but I’m very happy with my new machine.

Edit: oops, the back button is dangerous

Painted yet? how did it do in the snow

I hadn’t painted the frame yet so it’s bare metal. I did paint the frame today though. I seemed good in the snow, even though we didn’t have much, maybe an inch or so. the frame will be the same yellow.

IMG_20130303_135851.jpg

Beautifull!

Great job and thanks for sharing the joy.

Greetings

Byc

Finished! I know the paint won’t hold up forever but for the time being it’s fine. I added a little 12 sided die valve cap that was the same color too. Overall I’m happy with my project. It’s been a fun experience.

IMG_20130303_151227.jpg

That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I love the colors.

love it! thoes 125 cranks?

Thanks!

And yes they’re qu-ax 125s

how fast ya go? ridden it off road yet?

Thanks for the contact number, I just called and ordered a complete wheel (rim, spokes, hub, tire, and tube), the cost was $55 plus shipping, so $70 complete. Keeping in mind that spokes are ~$40, then add in a rim, tire, and tube, that makes this a great deal!

It was very easy, I asked to order a complete replacement wheel for a Walmart 32" Super Cruiser Bicycle, gave my shipping info and VISA, she said it would arrive in 7-10 days :slight_smile:

This wheel is getting built on a standard 48h Nimbus ISIS hub.

I have a new Frankentire in the works, based on the Maxxis IKON 2.2 EXC, final tire weight should be ~750gm.

Give me a couple weeks to get everything done, gotta bend my frame narrower, build the wheel, cut and sew the tire, maybe even get the frame painted.

BTW, for anyone thinking about how a “little big wheel” can ride, consider the smaller size wheel (a true 32" diameter tire) with a lighter rim and a lighter tire, it makes for a much lighter commuter wheel than a 36er, and for XC muni it is a great alternative to the significant mass of a 36" wheel.

The stock Kent tire is not bad, worthy for most riding, I’m building a frankentire because I can, but I rode the stock tire for XC muni and it did quite well.

Keep the 32er alive!

Okay, now I’m confused, I thought that you already had a 32er.

Hey Ben, thanks for reviving this. I read through this thread the other day, and was wondering what has happened since the last post. Seems like a number of folks were interested in trying it, but then it got quiet. I wouldn’t mind giving it a shot myself, just need to decide which frame would be the best match.

Yes, this thread did get lost, I never even read about the wheel puchasing direct from Kent until I went on a search of the forum for a “spare” rim and tire.

The purchase was too easy, makes me wish that UDC would go ahead and purchase a bunch of these rims drilled for 32h/36h and sell them complete with a tire and tube.

So yeah, I have a 32" rim on an Oregon hub, but I want to “lose weight” on my big wheels, so I’m going back to a standard width hub and Spirit disc set up. Ultimately I’ll rebuild my 36er too, possibly with a third frankentire.

I may have to cut the spokes to lace up the ISIS uni hub, but fortunately we have an LBS with a spoke cutter/threader that I can use :slight_smile:

I’m going to start on my second 32" frankentire this weekend…

I know mine laced up fine (3 cross) with the stock spokes, I bought new nipples though.

So now I’m wondering if my perfect road wheel would be a G32 or a G29… Hmmm… :roll_eyes:

It can’t be either, that would be too simple. :roll_eyes:

I have both a G29 and G32 they feel similar but the G32 is a bit faster… downside is that there is no tyre choice for the 32 :confused:

Unless you’re a frankentire creator…

That’s true, but they have limited life expectancy :confused:

My Maxxis Advantage has been ridden hard off road at high pressures, I weigh200#, and it shows no signs of failure.

My next one should be even better, I’m going for a “butted” connection to make for a smoother profile, this doubles the area that can stretch, so I’ll see how that works out.

The stock tire is pretty good really, if I was a roadie then I’d just ride that tire and buy a couple spares. I think the spare OEM tire is lke $25 with a tube.