The Missing Link: A 32" unicycle, a' la Walmart and UDC

American Science & Surplus has 30’ rolls for $9.50, but they’re burnt orange.

Fourth.

I just bought a 10 foot roll off ebay for 9 bucks that looks like a bit brighter orange. Hopefully it’s long enough…

One roll was plenty for what I did. I probably have half the roll left over. My assembly was put together, but off the frame when I did it. (The lines were attached to the lever and the cylinders.) It’s a little tricky to get even, you have to overlap it for it to stick, and I tried to make it an even overlap, If you look at the close-up you can see I was more successful in some places than in others. It can probably be done on the frame, but easier if you take it off. I hung it up so the lines would be reasonably straight while I did it. That makes it a little easier.

(edit) You also need to stretch it in order for it to stick to itself. That’s what makes getting it even a little tricky. But I’m sure you’ll do fine. You might want to practice on something first.

Yeah, I think I’ll just take them off to do it. The half hour of setting them back up will be worth the effort. Thanks for all the info Lance.

Apologies for thread jacking.

Oops, you’re right. :o Thanks for the correction.

mounting block model

Here are pics of the 3D model of the mounting block. The detail is clearer than the photo.

Magura mtg block ver2 model.jpg

Magura mtg block assy ver2 model.jpg

I must have missed something earlier in the thread, what exactly is this for?

Yes, please reexplain this from the beginning for those of us who’s time is far too precious to simply click back one page to see the photo. :roll_eyes:

Lowering the brakes.

Sorry, I should have quoted the original post for continuity. This relates to my post from yesterday about adapter blocks for mounting Magura brakes onto a KH36 frame, but made to fit a 32" Kent wheel.
3D model posted to show additional detail not obvious in the photo.

excellent job, LanceB

What a beautiful ride you have created. Love it to bits. The brake adapter design looks really good. Is it heavy, or did you hollow it out in places?

Thanks much for the positive comments.
The blocks aren’t hollow, but they’re aluminum, so pretty light.
Overall, I’m impressed by the light feel of the whole thing. It feels about the same as my 26" (which is a heavy Nimbus). I’ll see if I can get a reasonably accurate weight and post it.
There’s a long, steep hill right where I work that I ride over and back at noon most days. It started out being difficult a few months ago (on my 26"), and gradually got easier. Today I did it on the 32", and it felt like the first time on the 26 again. But it’s surprisingly nimble. I think that’s due to the narrow street tire and the 150 cranks.
I’ll ride this one at the CicLAvia in April. It will handle the distance and crowds very well, I think.

LanceB That is such a neat unicycle :sunglasses:
I think I’d quite like a geared 32’’ as well. I’d probably make it my only unicycle. (maybe)

It’s a real beauty!
Congrats LanceB, you’ve built yourself one very nice unicycle.

We have a fairly accurate scale at work and I weighed them both this morning. The 26" Nimbus is 15.6 pounds (7.09 kilos) and the 32" is 19.5 pounds (8.86 kilos). I guess it’s heavier than I thought. The hub is pretty heavy, and the adapter rings are stainless. The handle adds a little weight. I think my supposition that the narrower tire and 150mm cranks helping to give it a light feeling is probably correct.

cicLAvia

Let’s team up in April.

Sunshine :slight_smile:

There was blue sky’s and plenty of sunshine here in the Highlands today so I got the G32 out for a 39K run in training for the Dusseldorf marathon in April … I love my G32!!! :smiley: :sunglasses:

That’s great, Alan. I really like mine as well, although I’m still getting used to the overdrive. 32" seems like a great size – big enough to ride distance, but maneuverable enough to go anywhere you like. At least that’s how it seems to me. It also makes for interesting conversations with other riders – it’s new to most folks.
Big thanks to Nurse Ben for starting this thread!

I actually find it more manoeuvrable than my G29… the tyre seems to suit unicycles, good job as there isn’t any choice :smiley:

Hm… Now I want to try G32…