The Missing Link: A 32" unicycle, a' la Walmart and UDC

I’m curious to know how it is that the rim says “unicycle.com” on it. I didn’t think anyone but Kent sold those wheels. :thinking:

Like me, JTrops has enough UDC bumper stickers to plaster everything with.

Yup. Bumper Sticker bits. I don’t know if it will stay. I like having something there, and when I have some time I may come up with my own graphics. I thought it looked a bit plain with just the black rim.

Nice work! The Qu-Ax website appears not to sell any frame larger than a 24 as a separate item. Not that I’m gonna do this right now, but if I do build a uni one day, a WM32 seems like the way to go, so it’s helpful to have lists of compatible components, especially since unicycle parts normally cannot be acquired in person.

I sent an email to Goudurix asking about 36er frames. Benoit had a couple old stock in the shop, and offered one to me. He still has the other one, and I think they have the QX 36er frames in regular stock. I don’t know if they will have any with canti studs though. I think I lucked out with that.

sorry to hear about your tire blowout rib injury, though I’ll admit that I’m not surprised, the frankentires are less than adequate strengthwise, which is why I gave up on my last try and now ride a stock kent tire. I was lucky, my blowouts happened when airing up.

In time, UDC may have a 32" tire.

Is that a Nurse Ben premonition, or did you hear it on the grapevine? I have a 36er frame just waiting for a decent 32er wheelset and tyre…but perhaps I shouldn’t hold my breath…

Many things may happen.

I heard it was being looked into but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I do love the idea of some quality 32" unicycles in the future though, it really is a nice size for shorter commutes etc.

Getting close to being done

I have to fabricate the brake mount adapters and install them, but the uni is getting close to completion. I couldn’t resist putting it together “finger tight” for a “glamor shot.” (I’m an old hot rod guy from way back, so since I was building this one from scratch, doing the hot rod thing was kind of a natural tendency.) (Yeah, I know, it’ll get dinged up after a few UPDs, but that’s ok, it’ll just morph into more of a rat rod.)

that is really really coool!
:slight_smile: :sunglasses: :smiley:
schlumpf…32…things i wish i had!

@LanceB

That is really looking nice! I hear there’s some people that paint the side of their tires, a thought if you want to customize it even more. And maybe the crank arms.

Love it and I’d like to see more if you can!

Lance! It looks great! I’m glad to see that my old frame is going to live happily ever after. Fantastic.

Lance, that looks great.

How are you going to make the brake adaptors? just a couple chunks of aluminum with bolt holes on the top and threaded holes on the bottom? It looks to me like the bottom of the original mount doesn’t quite match up to where you want the top bolt, That could complicate things.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, That is the cleanest G32 I have seen yet!

I haven’t been keeping up, but that’s geared too?!?!

That’s just too much. I’m definitely not jealous :stuck_out_tongue:
Time to save up some money. One day…

RE: the brake mount adapters, I’m planning machined aluminum blocks. In the photo, the top mounting screw of the cylinder is screwed into the bottom stock mounting block. It is just slightly high to the wheel’s braking surface. However, here’s the thing with the Kent wheel. There is a groove that goes around the circumference of the wheel, set about 8mm in from the outside. In my estimation, this made a good demarcation of a braking surface (you can see the unpainted strip around the edge of the wheel). This is a little smaller than a normal braking surface, but I don’t use the brake that much, and it was too convenient not to use. My plan originally was to re-shape the brake pads slightly to match the strip. As it turns out, the bottom of the brake pad is in the correct elevation, and I just have to trim a bit off the top. How will it work? Well, I’ll just have to try it and see. I was hoping to make the adapters this weekend at the shop at work, but when I got there some A/C guys had the place completely torn apart, replacing motor bearings and some such. So much for those plans.
So yeah, there’s a bit more to do. I’ll post some additional photos when it’s more complete.
(BTW, Saskatchewanian, since you expressed an interest in the adapter rings early on, I went ahead and made two sets while I was making them, so I have a set here with your name on them. PM me a shipping address and I’ll send them up.)
(Also, btw, I was adjusting the Schlumpf for the first time today, and noticed that I’m missing the set screw from one of the shift buttons. No biggie, but I need to replace that. I measure it out as 4mm dia x 6mm long. Can someone who knows confirm that? thanks.)

Lance, I absolutely love how your 32’er turned out! Cool color scheme, brake lines, cool flames… Cool uni.

Lance,
That is the coolest looking uni I’ve seen in awhile. It’s making me think about the aesthetics of mine a bit.

The groove on the rim is a brake wear indicator. The idea is that when you can no longer see the groove the rim is used up. I’m sure it’s just a random feature of the extrusion they used, and not something they spec’d since the bike didn’t have rim brakes (that and the powder coat).

Frame alternative?

Thanks for all the positive comments. I’m pretty happy with it so far. (It just occurred to me – I’ve seen bicycle entries in motorcycle and car shows, I wonder if anyone’s ever entered a unicycle in a show?)

I had a thought about possible frames to use with these wheels. I used a KH 36, mostly because it was the most obvious choice, and one was made available by Sean “UnderTheLake.” However, the completed tire and rim measure out to right on 31" dia. (Then why do they call it a 32? :thinking: ) Now, looking at my “26” uni, it measures 27 1/2, and there’s still vertical room in the frame. So it makes me wonder, would a 29" frame work for a “32?” I don’t own a 29" uni, so I’m just kind of putting it out there to you guys that do. What is the actual diameter of your rim/tire combo, and is there still room left for a taller setup? (This might also have the advantage of not needing to make brake mount adapters.)

If I recall correctly Nurse Ben said a 32 would fit in an oregon frame but I could be wrong on that (it’s been a while). Maybe someone who’s running a knard in their 29 frame could tell you what the outside diameter of it is and you could compare that to your 32.

My only two data points are a 26" Nimbus muni frame and a 29" Qu-Ax something. (It has flame decals on it but nowhere near as bitchin’ as yours. :)) I was surprised to see out how little the difference was in tire clearance between the two. I swapped the wheels between them just because I liked the colors better that way.

So based on that I’d say not with all of them–probably not with a lighter duty “XC” 29" uni, better chance with one designed for fat tires like Shmolagin says.

And yes, you should enter it in a hot rod show. Absolutely!