The Horse Mount

Here’s a new trick for free mounting.
(it’s probably not a new trick, I’m sure someone has done…)

I call it the horse mount, because it’s like mounting onto a horse.

a.) Stand behind the unicycle with pedals at 6 & 12 o’clock and hold the saddle with both hands.
b.) Step on the low pedal, rise up and swing your other leg over the saddle.
c.) Pull the seat under you quickly and let go.
d.) Go into an idle, or ride off into the sunset.

enjoy…slam

Where’s the demo video?

1 Like

Sounds very much like a leg wrap mount?

It is called side mount reverse in the standard skill list. Sometimes it is also called the mens mount here inGermany (in opposite to the womans mount which would be a “normal” side mount)

See standard skill list page 63 and 64

1 Like

I just wanted to post the link for you in the unicyclist Multimedia Archive (where nearly every trick had a video) but the website dissaperared as was replaced by some betting page.

This is how the site looked:

1 Like

This sounds a little like a mount I have been working at and had know idea what to call it. the biggest difference is what I am doing is actually standing beside the uni facing it with the saddle going left to right. closest pedal down of course I put one foot on the pedal and then I hop up and twist around the uni and land on the the other pedal and sit down as quick as I can and try to ride out of it. I have found it is easier to land on my weak side for some weird reason. I don’t recall ever seeing it done just decided to try it one day.

I do a variation of that amount in this tutorial I made a few years ago. It also includes a special mount I invented that gives you a kind of “leg up”. I call it the “helmet mount”.

Yes, UniG, what I call the horse mount is similar to your “crank mount” on your video at 3:30, but with one big different. No brakes. So, the big skill involved are:

a.) Trusting in stepping on pedal at 6 o’clock.
b.) The key is to drop your “full weight” onto that single pedal and achieve a full momentary still stand.
c.) Then quickly lifting your knee over the seat and landing that top foot at 12 o’clock.
d.) At the same time, an added assist of holding the seat and pulling it under you quickly.

The added complexity is this. Holding the saddle. Seems like an added control and stability. Think again .Anybody who can SIF knows this. Saddle holding is hard, at first.

a.) Use one hand as the dominant controlling hand . Hold the saddle at the middle.
b.) At the middle of the saddle torque = 0. However, if you hold, near the back of the saddle there is torque and could possibly break your wrist from a wrong movement and quick motion.
c.) Hold that seat rock solid. Do not move it to help with balance.
d.) Take your “other hand” and lightly hold the seat. This hand is only used to help quickly “slip the saddle” under you. Only, at the right moment.

Common problems with Horse mounting:
a.) You get “stuck”
b.) You always fall backwards before getting onto the saddle.
c.) You always fall left “after you land it”.

If you get stuck, you must try to consciously “raise” your knee and butt higher. This requires better balance and more still stand time.
If you fall backwards trying to get into a still stand, you must lean forwards more. Remember from an SIF free mount position, the CG(center of gravity/balance) of the unicycle is much more forwards.
If you fall left, after you mount then you must be “quicker” to lean the other direction to compensate. The most rapid way to do this is from your hips. Tip them to side.

enjoy…slam

Not a leg wrap mount!!

Some of you guys are overthinking it.
Leg wrap mount = 2x harder than Horse mount. Just do this:

1.) Stand directly behind the unicycle and hold the saddle.
2.) Step on “down” pedal and rise up into a still stand.
3.) At the highest position, lift your opposite leg, pull seat back, and land other pedal.
4.) So, the so called “wrapping leg” just moves up and straight forward.

My genesis of learning this trick came from:
a.) SIF free mounting to SIF idling motion.
b.) Transitioning from SIF idling to “normal” seated idling.
c.) One day, feeling “lazy”, I decided to just skip the step in the middle.

Note:

For any flat land trick rider this is simple transition movement.

However, for the beginners. What’s a transition movement? I know, right?
It’s not easy. Doing a transition = being momentarily handcuffed or constrained.
So, the ability to have a controlled/dependable rock solid still stand is an absolute must.
Lastly, the complexity/coordination/strength of saddle holding will be new to you.

enjoy…slam