The Evolution of Unicycling - UW36 Footage

Very nice movie! Great, I enjoyed it a lot.

Is it easier to learn riding an UW using a Coker wheel or is it better to start with a smaller wheel?

After putting the spokes in my Airfoil rim I have plans to use the old rim for an UW.

I have no idea, I could already ride the small one

Very nice video (I have watched it several times).

The construction attracted my attention: shouldn’t it be better to have the pedals at the crossing of the bars? I expect it will be more stiff.

And what about safety? Shouldn’t it better to close the openings (to eliminate the risk of breaking a leg by putting it in the frame)? Yeah, I am afraid of that.

I am doing a welding course and want to weld a frame myself. Should it be also possible to use eight bolts to attach the frame to the rim? The `spokes’ won’t break…

Thanks!

There is no stiffness issue at all, it is completely solid.

There is indeed a safety issue with those openings, there has been a few leg in holes incedents. I was going for simplicity and visual appeal over safety, as I wasn’t even sure it was going to work.

I’m not sure what you mean about that 8 bolts part.

I have gotten much better on this thing since the video has been put out, watch for my muni and trials on it in my upcoming DVD, Training Wheel Not Required.

Good luck with building your own, it’s really fun.

Eight spoke nippels are necessary for your frame in case you don’t want to weld the frame to the rim. I was thinking of welding a bold on a plate and this will be welded at the end of the tubes. The frame has got eight ends, a kind of spokes.
The spoke nipple should be used as nut.

you think that would be solid enough? i do like that idea, then you can use an airfoil rim…my frame is as stiff as can be, but the rim is warped beteen each contact point…but will never become more warped than it currently is…as far as I can tell

The link is dead. :frowning:

Uhhh, the link isnt working

IMHO its easier to ride a bigger UW. I’m not sure that learning the 36 would help you on smaller wheels though, while the inverse is true.

updated link (4MB!!!)

(windows media compared to quicktime)

Start putting them in the gallery too…this site is slow.

Patience, Yoda

Yeah, I’ve sent them an email enquiring to the slowness of the site, it’s starting to bug me…and my hosting account there is about to expire

Meh I guess I am a little impatient. Next time I’ll prolly mirror it for everyone else though. Muahahahahaha!

How very noble!

Ahhhh!!! It’s a page of StarWars nerds! You both have yoda and the… other guy… Han Solo or something. Scary. StarWars still gives me nightmares.

heho

@ brian

i watched your trailer and saw an awesome unicylce right at the end. the rider seems to coast with his feet on the pedals.
how? freewheel? and if yes, how did you build it?

mfg sebbe w.

I’m probably wrong on this or you know about it already. I’m good at submitting [wrong/already known] [information/advice]. I’m guessing that you can get the rear hub of some bikes and just change it a tiny bit to be able to cope with uni cranks and such, and then you have a freewheel unicycle.

I can definately tell you that that is a freewheel unicycle though.

Look out folks! We have an expert here. :smiley:

Seriously though, the best unicycle gang ever built it out of the front wheel of a trike we found in the trash. The frame is the fork from the trike with a seatpost welded on.

(It’s SWAT)

dang, i cant view Windows movies

what can you bust?

:wink:

heho

okay, do you have some photos of the freewheel uni?
i want to build one, too.

mfg sebbe w.