the "death" of Muni...

See thats where I’d love to be different. I would love to see Muni with all the technical stuff in it, and flowing from one to another as fast as possible, but with tricks mixed in. My friend does a lot of dirt jumping and trying different tricks and that in unicycling in my view would be great. Maybe this is part of the reason muni is seen to be at a standstill at development… we avoid being different, and being different is one of the thing i find great about unicycling.

I guess what I said was more of a personal thing that applies for many people like me.

I interpret the way you’re talking to me as patronizing, and I don’t like it.:slight_smile:

I’m sorry if you find it patronising. That was not intended.

I will be taking a break from the forum for a while.

This is where Muni has gone for me. Not dead, just elsewhere.

Nevermind. billnye pointed out this page with a bunch of unicycling styles:
http://www.krisholm.com/khu/en/unicycling

Good enough for me.

Wow! An explosion of posts about “muni is dead”. I know that MUni is not dead, so Justin’s message is unclear at the get-go. So what does he really mean? It’s hard to get, even after all these posts:

You said it first…

Both of those statements are from your original post. I am confused.

(OFF TOPIC) No, I want to be a part of it. Being apart means not being a part; being separate. I wouldn’t bring this up but you kept using that word over and over…

Okay. More about the real-world MUni scene farther down…

They definitely have a major impact. But televised video has a much, much bigger impact. Like it did for you with Ripley’s Believe it or Not. People don’t get into unicycling by watching YouTube videos, they look at YouTube videos after they get interested in unicycling. They get interested in unicycling by seeing it, or hearing about it in the mainstream media (or by actually seeing people ride, but there’s still a lot less of that). Not just TV, but newspaper and magazine coverage is one of the biggest generators of new riders.

And what do the journalists usually want to do stories about? MUni. No one has ever come to me wanting to do a story about Street, Trials or Flatland unicycling. Ever. “Extreme Unicycling” yes, and they often like pictures I’ll show them of those disciplines. But the articles almost always end up being primarily about the very un-dead MUni.

I think that’s mostly as a result of Kris getting married. :smiley: Yes, it’s only my theory but the timeline fits. There is only one Kris Holm. There are riders who can do bits and pieces of what Kris does/did, but so far nobody is the whole package. MUni didn’t die because Kris has a day job (and makes awesome unicycles). Consider him a huge spike in the progression of MUni.

Like Kris, there was only one George Peck. He had a lot to do with the rise of MUni, and this was in a very big way due to his video. Even though it was not online.

Ah, a glimmer of what Justin really means! Okay, now we have something more to work with. Justin is saying “ride like this, and film it for us to watch online!” Always a good idea. I’m all for it. But as we all know it’s harder to combine the necessary elements to do compelling MUni videos, and the terrain is less available, so there will always be less people doing it than doing the much simpler Trials/Street/Flat videos.

Those disciplines are still in a pretty explosive growth stage, mostly because they are younger. Also because they have more room for variety and creativity of what you do. Not that you can’t be creative if you mix tricks and/or obstacles in with a MUni ride.

What, making videos? Not everyone is into that. Riding the way you’d like us to ride? Not everyone’s into that either. We all ride for various reasons. But we ride just fine. Our sport is not dead. In fact I think it helps keep me alive.

Oops. Me too I guess.

BTW, MUni is not dead.

If you find that annoying to keep hearing, consider why we’re saying it. Not just because it isn’t dead, but because we like MUni and are compelled to speak well of it. Maybe “dead” was the wrong choice of words?

Sorry, I missed the part where a single person said that. Mostly they’re saying it’s getting bigger whether we like it or not. And for those who think it isn’t getting bigger, that’s fine, it is anyway. For most of us bigger automatically makes it better because it increases the chance of having people to ride with. When the trails start getting crowded with unicyclists I’ll start to worry. I don’t ride unicycles to stand out (at least not for the last 25 years or so).

Okay, more clear communication about what Justin really wants. Ride like this, and film it so Justin can watch it! :slight_smile: Okay, not just Justin but all of us online unicyclists. I’m all for that too.

Which old guys? And BTW, where do you draw your personal “old” line? If it wasn’t for us “old” people you might never have found out about MUni.

Whippersnapper.

But let’s not play the age card. None of us got to pick when they were born. The fact that we got MUni off the ground and made it a popular subject for extreme sports videos and articles, all that’s in the past. Now we’re just old and it’s time for someone else to take it to the next level. I’m all for that too.

But MUni hasn’t been dead yet.

5-6 years? I think you’re talking about YouTube and other online video sources. Video has promoted MUni and brought tons of people into the sport for much longer than 5-6 years.

What we have now is the ability to search online and find interesting video about nearly everything we can think of! Including many sub-forms of unicycling. This is super-cool for those of us who know what to look for, but it still requires someone to be looking for it.

What an odd statement. MUni was essentially invented in the 80s. Not Street. Street couldn’t really gain traction until there were unicycles strong enough to make it possible. I think Street traces its roots to 1999 (maybe 1998?) with Dan Heaton. Even then Dan and Adam were bending cranks and breaking lots of cotterless axles.

I think you started it on the age thing (anyone who wants to read back can check for anyone before that). I’ve been riding 30 years. We are both entitled to our opinions. In these forums we can express them, and hopefully be open to the ideas of others, and to learning how to express ourselves better.

You started it again. I’m over 30 and have been riding MUni for 28 years. I’m fine with people kickstarting it into new areas, but why do they have to be under 30? And is that under 30 this year only? Should you maybe go by a certain birth year to avoid confusion? :angry:

It’s possible to have an opinion and be wrong. You repeat that there’s no progression even after people described what’s going on currently? Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. It also doesn’t mean it hasn’t been recorded on video but I don’t know if there are good examples of some of the newer stuff online. I’ve just seen it in real life.

And there you go again. Are you including basketball, hockey, Freestyle, Standard Skill and track racing in that “advancing” thing, or just those sub-areas of MUni?

Anyway, I seriously look forward to see the video you’ve been working on. The world needs more MUni videos even if MU is alive and well!

Everyone: If you’ve read all the way through this post, there must be something wrong with you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree here. I know I have had several people inspired to unicycle based on simply commuting to work on my uni, being in the newspaper, on tv, and most importantly talking to people. The internet has made unicycling and learning about it more accessible, but someone still needs to search for “unicycle”, “unicycling”, “extreme unicycling”, etc before finding videos or blogs about it. The interest needs to be sparked first.

For me, I have been pushing myself in muni and riding more because of pictures (not video). Pictures of AspenMike, Turtle, Kris, and everyone else riding in stunning or remote locations inspire me a lot more than videos.

Muni is about how far you’ve ridden and where you have been to ride. I think that is the point that everyone is making. It is kind of insulting to say that muni is not getting bigger and better when there have been massive accomplishments in our sport (once again I am going to point to the continental divide…seriously, this was a huge trip).

The only style that most riders care about is flowing fast down a trail. I don’t think that most riders here would want to do street tricks down a trail, I think I am with Tom here…I really don’t care for crankflips, especially while doing muni. I understand it adds difficulty to it and it may look good on video, but I don’t think that this is the only way to push the sport. I think the sport is being pushed quite a lot already with geared hubs and massive trips.

Who’s “we’re”? I’m pretty sure you’re the only the only person here who doesn’t want to see crankflips done in muni. Just because others want to do this doesn’t mean you have to. I don’t want to do crankflips when I muni, but I’d love to see others doing it.

In unicycling is the meaning of freeride different to other sports? Because in skiing freeride is usually combining freestyle with big mountain and in mountain biking it’s dirt jumping crossed with downhill.

You can count me in that “we’re”

Call me old fashioned but to me the heart of MUni is going places. I would rather become more efficient and be able to ride further than artificially increase the difficulty by adding tricks in to a ride.

Maybe it is because I have more of a trekking style with a background in week to month long hiking, canoeing and biking trips. My last MUni ride was about 70km. I would like to do a multi-day trip some time, maybe next summer if I have time.

Hey John Foss… brilliant!!!
Shug

I think Freeriding should be defined for muni the same as mountain biking. And it’s true that it’s hard to come up with a good definition for it and my comment there is definitely open for discussion. There’s certainly a grey area here because obviously dirt jumping often involves tricks, and freeriding thus to some degree as well. So I guess my definition above might not be broad enough. But in terms of the origins of Freeriding in biking, it was in seeking out hard terrain, not in tricks. Wade Simmons would be the quintessential example.

But slopestyle also exists as a genre for mountain biking, at least as a judged competitive discipline, and that’s more of a specific term for a more trick-oriented mountain bike style.

Here’s a Wikipedia definition for both, that I think is pretty good:
Freeride: as the name suggests is a ‘do anything’ discipline that encompasses everything from downhill racing without the clock to jumping, riding ‘North Shore’ style (elevated trails made of interconnecting bridges and logs), and generally riding trails and/or stunts that require more skill and aggressive techniques than XC. Freeride bikes are generally heavier and more amply suspended than their XC counterparts, but usually retain much of their climbing ability. It is up to the rider to build his or her bike to lean more toward a preferred level of aggressiveness. “Slopestyle” type riding is an increasingly popular genre that combines big-air, stunt-ridden freeride with BMX style tricks. Slopestyle courses are usually constructed at already established mountain bike parks and include jumps, large drops, quarter-pipes, and other wooden obstacles. There are always multiple lines through a course and riders compete for judges’ points by choosing lines that highlight their particular skills. A “typical” freeride bike is hard to define, but 13-18 kilos (30-40) lbs with 150-250 millimeters (6-10 inches) of suspension front and rear.

Anyway, getting off topic a bit…

K.

Kris I think that’s the point that Jkohse doesn’t seem capable of grasping - just like within MTB, there can be different genres of MUni and that is OK. In no way does that mean or suggest that one genre of MUni is above or below another, it doesn’t mean that a particular genre ‘dead’ and needs a self proclaimed messiah to bring it back to life as they think life should be etc

The genres are simply different and just like MTB, MUni guys will gravitate/oscillate as they see fit, the style of riding they enjoy etc.

I think a far more productive discussion than the clueless ‘MUni is dead’ bla bla is talking about the genres of MUni as they evolve right in front of us - that’s the coolest thing. You could probably make a good case that a few infant genres of MUni are already out there.

If guys want a ‘Slopestyle’ MUni genre where tricks are part of the style or whatever, they can always get off their butt and make it so. It’s not my thing, but good on them if that’s what they’re into.

From an “old geezer”: I just love Muni! specially now in late autumn, just riding in the woods and feeling the Zen of it.
I am no technical rider I just “enjoy” (and slowly improve my riding). For sure the technical level is going up and now I often Muni alone because other riders are going too fast for me :frowning: I don’t enjoy dashing I just like a sedane rythm.
So I enjoy videos of fantastic technical stuff … but I won’t pratice those … after all isn’t that the same in all sports,

I think Jkhose has a perfect grasp on the subject, but it seems most everyone else is taking his views, putting it into their definition of muni, then getting a bit butthurt cause their version of muni is being dissed on a little bit. At least thats how its coming across in your posts, and its almost embarrassing, as theres a lot of ignorance and closed-minded reactions coming from a lot of the older riders.

Id figure how a lot of you have grown up with this style, and have watched every other style take off and evolve into what they are now, would be more open and understanding to the evolution of muni as Justin wants to see it.

From what ive seen, I think the standard was set back then by some great riders, and now, a large percent of riders have also reached that standard, but not really raising the standards.

Though I do agree that there is a handful of riders who are taking the standards higher and taking the sport into its own subdivision. But its only a handful, at least what we get to see and hear about, and not the general standard bar.

Its funny, cause not long ago, the complaint was that you couldnt do street or trials anywhere. But really, I think that excuse is horrible.

I dont have to have a stairset to practice street, I dont need a ledge and bar to practice trials, and I dont need a mountain to muni on.

People took street, didnt have bigger things to ride on, and just used their curb for practice. Then they got rid of the curb and practiced on flat, and eventually flat land came about.

Trials, people would do squats, practice with curbs, sticks, ride along curbs, or 2x4s. No need to have a giant setup of pallets and whatnot.

Muni can be practiced the same way. Riding up steeper roads, rolling up and down curbs in all pedal positions.

Nothing will be better than practicing on the real thing, but all the exercises come together once youre on a real trail.

Wax on, wax off.

And its completely fine if you like it where its at. And this isnt towards you directly, but ive seen this before, but lots of people who are “fine” with where its at, sure have a problem when someone brings up the idea to improve it, like they are being directly attacked. Youre not, so please just step back if this doesnt apply to you and let the riders ride, and theyll let you ride. Yeah?

I agree to a point. Cause the same could be said about all other styles, and a visit to the video section proves that. Anyone just doing the point-and-shoot- filming ends with decent footage, and that goes for all styles. With general knowledge you get better, knowing correct angles, lighting and stuff, and with practice you can get something great without having to have tons of expensive gear or a degree.

Finding a spot can be hard, but look at older muni videos and a lot of street and trials videos. You gotta be willing to travel to make certain things happen.

Which is why I dont mind waiting a while for a well thought out video.

There is also a mindset for filming the rider should get into. When ive filmed or have been filmed, I know im not just gonna cruise and enjoy it, im prepared to do something again and again and again to get the perfect take, to get multiple angles, and make it worth it in the end.

I have to agree somewhat. Specially after watching Dan Heatons newest movie, there is a good section in there about George Peck with John Foss and others discussing the importance of video and the impact it had on the unicycling world. I dont think its biased to styles, specially in these times, a sweet video of any style will help the style a lot. Specially when trying to introduce new tricks, innovation and all things good about unicycling.

See, this sounds like you have a vendetta against the idea of muni evolving into something more. Like I said before, like you feel you are personally being attacked.

Muni can be grouped in as a poser sport just as much as you like to say that about trials and street. I wish I could remember how many times ive heard stories about how steep the hill the road up and down was, how big of a drop they rolled off, that awesome skinny and so on only to see the actual ride was pretty basic. Posers ride muni too.

All uni is about just doing it. No one said its not about doing it and riding for fun and for youre own limits.

It seems you are part of a mature sport, so at least act as mature as the sport you take part in. As mature as all the street and trials riders who dont mind discussion the growth of the sprt, who dont react weird and feel they are being downed on.

Why bother filming for us? Dont bother, not with your attitude. Im perfectly happy if youre riding where your happy at, and if you made a video of you cruising along it would be great, but thats not the topic here.

I ask that you take youre mature riding out of this thread, if youre not interested in the idea of pushing the sport, why bother getting upset in the thread about pushing the sport?

Ill also state that age does not matter. It doesnt matter if you were some weed smoking hippy from the 70s, or that im from '89 and missed nothing from the prog scene and that its better than ever.

Its the mindset and acceptance that matters. A 13 year old will and can understand better than his parents.

Now what I think muni needs, and this is a great time to do it, is to subdivide into its own styles. Take note from mountainbiking and see what it has split into.

One can say muni and they ride cross-country. One can say muni and ride some extreme DH trails, or northshore or any other style. I think we start mention those styles in our riding more often. Instead of “Cali. extreme muni vid!!” why not put what the vid actually is “Cali. Cross-Country.”

It worked well for street and flatland becoming two different riding styles. It will work well for muni to have more official riding styles.

Im gonna end this now, as I cant say anything more that cant be applied to what has been said before and will be said again.

Muni in general has grown, it has grown to the point where its separating into more specific riding styles. Its a perfect time for people to focus on those specific riding styles and really take it somewhere new. All are welcomed to casually ride, to ride for yourself, to ride for your own limits. All are welcomed to partake in this pushing of boundaries and stepping outside of the umbrella term ‘Muni’

:slight_smile:

Yeah, totally. I think there is loads of scope for different styles out there, it is a totally personal one that the style I’m interested in is more flowing over the terrain quickly, less tricks stuck in there for no reason.

Joe

For all his rantings I do actually agree with Justin. I would love to see more people pushing the limits and bringing something new to Muni in general. I also agree with other comments that it would fall more into a Freeride category.

Having said that though there are quite a few reasons already stated why we will not see the same level of videos being produced for Muni than for say street. A contributing factor is those that have the skills to pull off what Justin is talking about are just not making the videos, or releasing them. Justin, Kenny Banks, and Mike Paranteau spring to mind here. All have amazing technical Muni skills. We see small flashes of things here and there.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79188

+1

We’ve been informed of a serious situation. Muni is dead or on life support. There’s only one thing that will save it. Video. But can anyone here produce a good muni video? Anyone?
It’s looking bleak.
But wait! The clouds are parting! A beam of sunlight! “Ahhhhhhh” Who is that? Our savior! And he has the video that will save us!
:smiley:

That probably comes off as accusatory, but in all honesty I’m just having fun. :stuck_out_tongue: The facts seem to fit.

The video title “Bring’n Back Muni” doesn’t make much sense to me, and hopefully, most everyone here. Maybe it should be something along the lines of boosting or powering-up muni, since that seems to be the real message. Regardless, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.
My 2 cents. Just trying to help.

Yeah… that quote was me…but…well as Jkohse asked I was discussing this.
I am fine with the way “I see” it now. (live with local riders and on the videos I watch on here) That said… after reading all the posts I am getting curiously excited to see where MUni goes.
As to the “attacked” line of yours Jerrick … that is funny. That was not what I felt … really … just trying to get in the discussion.
Step back … no way!
Shug