the best camera angles?

How can i make the most of steep gradients (on video), as they seem to always look really shallow and easy?

I wrote something about this on this thread

I was talking about still pictures, but the same applies to video.

Joe

thanks a lot joe

Re: the best camera angles?

In article <manic_mark.nh88z@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
manic_mark.nh88z@timelimit.unicyclist.com (manic_mark) wrote:

>
> How can i make the most of steep gradients (on video), as they seem to
> always look really shallow and easy?
>
>
> –
> manic_mark - level 3, most of the time

Turn the camera round slightly. To make it look even more impressive,
turn it upside-down. Just make sure you don’t have any trees in shot, or
people might get a bit suspicious…

<Serious Bit>
You could try mounting the camera on a helmet, then if you look at the
ground, people will see how fast the ground below you is moving. If you
do already have the camera mounted on your helmet, you could ask someone
to film you from the side. Maybe a filming newsgroup would be useful.
They might be able to give more technical advice than people here.

Liam

Take it from the side. And try to get vertical objects like trees or people into view. Heres Tony riding down the bank at Day/Night thriller last year:

tonywhee!2.jpg

Re: Re: the best camera angles?

helmet cams are particularly bad at flattening out hills because it’s intuitive to look where you’re riding rather than hold your head horizontal. The other big problem with helmet cams is that you need another rider riding right in front of you so you can see them and it’s hard to match speeds. Helmet cam riding without another rider in the picture often looks pretty rubbish.

The problem with speed on a unicycle is that unicycles don’t actually go that fast, if you look at the ground with a camera, it’ll look like you’re going at a bit faster than walking pace. Shots from cameras attached low on the unicycle can look fast, but again you don’t really see the steepness because it angles with the trail a bit.

Joe

I’ve got a little follow cam shot in my group muni ride movie. I rode behind Philip holding the digital still camera (with a video function of course) in one hand. It didn’t shake too much. I like follow cam shots of unicycling. It adds an interesting element to a movie.

Andrew