The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Work on putting all of your weight into the seat to reduce wobble. I put my seat as high as I could sit comfortably to help. Hope that’s of use. The better I got at sitting the less I wobble.

Today, I idled on my right foot 25+ times! I figured out that I have to let go of the seat after mounting. That way I can keep better balance. I’m still working on the left side, maybe 10+. I’m not making any progress riding backwards. I can hop a few times after mounting, but it’s not high enough to be any kind of useful.

Today I got a 180 SIF jump mount pretty much down, and I successfully pulled the seat out from my legs into SIF and kept going, as well as did my first SIF turn :smiley: Yay progress!

Yes, Mark is definitely a character. He had a few running gags. One was pedaling close to the crowd and pretending to be out of control. I feel pretty good about my role for only having a week and a half of practice. Your parade team is awesome! Of course if Tom Miller’s with you how could it be otherwise?

Yes, Cayucos is pretty cool. I haven’t been to Placerville. Sounds like an interesting place from the Wikipedia entry.

Well I can’t idle at all, I can ride backwards about 4m but I can hop about a foot now :slight_smile:

I have been practicing idling and stuff recently though so hopefully I will get it soon. I think it’s just that I have never practiced it.

Mowcius

One year ago today I ordered my first unicycle from unicycle.com and I haven’t looked back! I was working on a “Super Fun List of Fun” and added “Buy a unicycle and learn to ride” to the list while I was chatting with a friend. Mission accomplished!

I got a couple of revs doing backwards one-foot yesterday as well as a triple leg wrap mount thingy (on my youtube channel)! :smiley:

Triple leg wrap mount is a beginners move?

I’m screwed.

I’ve got a good fitness base on my 29" now. I’m free mounting first try almost every time now and I’m comfortable on the 125’s. I done a couple of hour rides now. Riding the 29" is now fun.

On to new challenges.

My new priority is Idling!!! At least two practice sessions a day.

Speaking of which, where are my cycling shorts?

That and riding backwards for me now :slight_smile:

Hehe well compared to some of them, yeah. Compared to you or me, no way!

finally got comfortable with bunnyhopping (i think)

did some no footers and hopped with my feet on the cranks.

Got a used KH20 trials uni+661 leg pads for $350 and I’m stoked!

Nice man!!! Congrats!

I did side mounts on both left and right sides today! That was one of the first things I said I really wanted to do. Today was the first day I really tried. I put a step ladder next to me for support in learning. For me it was easiest to learn as a 2 step process. 1st half: Starting with weight on left foot on left pedal and uni leaning right, step up and put right foot on tire. 2nd half: take the right foot around to the pedal and sit on the seat. Did those 2 steps over and over until they were comfortable. Then made it one fluid motion skipping the right foot on the tire, and did that holding on until it was comfortable. Then its just a matter of trust and going for it. I’m stoked! :smiley:

How do you have 281 posts and you just bought your first uni??? :thinking:

Because ‘yesterday’ was a year and 3 months ago :wink:

I dont mean to brag… But I got my KH24 used for $100 Australian.

Also, it wasnt today but yesterday I used my uni as practical transport for the first time. Not just joy riding. By the time I got to where I was going and got on the heated bus I thought I was going to catch fire I was so overheated. Why no one tell me uni is sooo much more hard work than riding bike!?! I guess thats direct drive and no brakes for you

I love my uni!

And you don’t go as fast so less breeze . . .

I’m struggling with going backwards. All of my uni reflexes tell me that I need to ride or fall forward. I’m able to push off a wall and go maybe 2 revs before I autocorrect and step off. Anyone else have this trouble and any tips?

It took me 3 hours (actual riding time) to go 25.5 miles today. I only stopped for 15 minutes. My average speed is just over 8 mph. I don’t know how to go any faster. I don’t really mind except that I spend too much time on the saddle for the distances I ride. That bugs me. This was on a 36" with 125 cranks. It was all flat, but I did have head wind and traffic.

Yes. :frowning:
I can do it a little more now though. I can get into the ‘mood’ so it feels like I am balancing and correcting but it’s still tricky to go more than about 4-6m

Mowcius

• Stick your arms out.
  • Practice a [B]lot[/B].

I have been at it for months and I’m only just getting the hang of it. Also, you might want to try some idling as the two skills are closely related.

Well I am finding currently that I can only do it the distance I can do while holding on with one hand…

I’ve kinda been at it for months but hardly ever been practicing.

Mowcius