The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Today I did a jump 180 :smiley: I still can’t quite comprehend the whole uni-spin thing though. I think my stock saddle is too big in the back… Getting a new one as soon as the LBS restocks! Yay!

today craigslist finaly blessed me with a cheap unicycle. probably crap but who cares, i dont have to borrow my grandpas uni anymore.

I finally got a successful freemount on video:

I finally got a successful freemount on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z6r1n3_o9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cSODadWY6U

today my unicycle came, took me a half hour to build it. i can ride about 24 feet, with my hand on the side of my house, before falling off. Its amazing!

Very cool! I think it should be a requirement that unicyclists all wear suits while out on rides from now on. :smiley:

I’ve got to agree - riding in a suit looks very cool!!

1> 80+ bunnyhops in a row.
2> side jump on a curb
3> helped my GF with her first supported ride :slight_smile: <about 20meters holding my hand - one more of us. one less of them :)>

Today was a marvelous day!

I got my new Velo seat, and it’s like comparing a memory foam bed to sleeping on an active nuclear bomb. :wink:

I got a new helmet, which makes me feel me confident, makes my mom happy, and holds my headphones in!

and last but not least, I got an unlimited supply of free pallets! Woot!

Today I rode in the 2nd largest 4th of July parade in the nation, Canonsburg, PA!!!

That is so cool! I think these are my favorite message posts.

I need to smile more. I look too much like I’m constipating real hard instead of just moving effortlessly.

Still like that suit :slight_smile:

You changed shoes!

Maybe you mean “look constipated” or “concentrating real hard” or a mix of both? :stuck_out_tongue:

My girlfriend did some ore 20-30m rides with support <my hand>

and… she decided to get her own uni! (going for the QU-AX Luxus 20’’ Zebra model)

I love those Black, Gray & White Mid-High shoes for Unicycling.
They are made by “Harsh” and the model is “Chaos”.
They were on clearance at Big-5 for really cheap ($17.99 I think).
They are just high enough to protect my ankles but low enough to
be easy to put on & take off.

This morning I managed to ride ~60 feet in a straight line, SIF! I got a new seat and it made all the difference. I even did an SIF jump-mount and managed to go about 20 feet from it.

Finally got time to fit up the off road tyre (24" mountain bike tyre) and went for a spin! It took me a while to warm up but the ride over rough ground is much better and it was much easier to ride uphill (unexpected side effect?) - now it is time to get a better seat…where will it end?:slight_smile:

I agree that the suit looks cool. And I’m usually anti-suit! Congratulations on getting the mount on video!

Awesome!

Today I rode in my first parade (Cayucos, California)! I didn’t feel my idling was strong enough to use it the whole way through so I made many, many circles. I had to re-mount twice. Once was while we were waiting to get to the start location and then once right before the start location. It was up a steep, bumpy side street and I was carrying a flag on a long metal pole. I did a rolling mount after about five tries where the crowd was largest and got huge applause.

I’m on the left:

My friend Mark is the entertainer:

And I’m the straight man:

Mark carried a metal pole with a flag on it and at stopping points we would each hold one end with the flag hanging down and turn in a circle. A real crowd pleaser!

Waaalrus,

Your friend Mark looks like he’d be a hoot.

Here’s a post parade picture of me and my participating friends:
Left to right: Tom Miller, Me, my wife Linda (seated) and Jesse Millikan.

that’s one hell of a giraffe!

I think Cayucos is about the coolest town in California. I first saw Cayucos about 30 years ago, and it always stuck in my mind. A few years ago I visited for the first again and was glad to see it had not lost it’s small town coastal city charm.

It’s almost as cool as Placerville. You know we got that whole gold was discovered here thing, but Cayucos has the ocean so it kinda evens out.

Not much to report in Uni riding. Still trying to get my knees better, so I’m only riding about ever third day on flat ground on my 29". Knees are getting better but every time I try to add a small hill they hurt the next day. I keep modifying my stretching/exercise routine en an effort to make pain free riding possible.

I think I’m going try adding idling practice back in and see how my knees feel about that.

Today and yesterday I practiced at my old elementary school. I am able to ride for a couple feet without any hands, but I am suffering from leaning too much to one side. Also when I get going my unicycle seems to never go in a strait line, and it wobbles a bunch. Any ideas on how to stop these things. And any ideas on how to train better than getting up using a wall and peddling and seeing how far I can go.