The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

For anyone in the UK (or Arizona, there may also be other places in the US), freecycle can be great for things like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Freecycle_Network

Mowcius

I actually plan to build two takeoff platforms to use for curb mounts
when we do unicycle jousting (until we perfect freemounts)

All it takes is 2x4’s and plywood… some construction sites will
give them to you if you ask nicely.

Yesterday riding muni I went over a cattle gate way too fast, flipped into the air, landed on the bars hard on my knee, and then rolled onto my wrist and shoulder. I have a couple scrapes and my knee was absolutely killing me for about five minutes, but otherwise I’m unharmed. Not for the first time and I’m sure not for the last time, thank you Kris Holm percussion leg armor! Otherwise I’ve been practicing basketball and freestyle on my new Nimbus X. I haven’t made much progress (still working on one footed backwards riding) but I’m getting used to the smaller 100mm cranks. I was at the 2nd Annual Santa Cruz Juggling Festival last weekend and while it was a lot of fun we couldn’t ride unicycles in the gym. But there were some good places to ride outside, including a sweet basketball court next to a beach volleyball court. I passed clubs idling on a unicycle for the first time!

Waaaly, sorry to hear about your dismount. Glad you were not hurt seriously. What size wheel where you riding at the time?

Today I forgot that I had 125 cranks on my 29". I had been running with 150’s which gave a nice sense of control and felt ‘normal’ to me. A few days ago I switched to 125’s to help with my sore knees. It wasn’t till later after my ride I remembered that I was on the 125’s. So that was a nice feeling that I feel comfortable on the 125’s now. So far I have only ridden them on flat ground (knee pain) but I see what people mean by they are ‘smoother’.

I also nailed my static mount first try today on my 29". No wobbling, no arm waving, no nothing. Hopped up and rode away. It caught me by surprise when it happened. Usually the first one of the day takes me a try or two (this is on the 29").

On the sad side I decided that I can’t justify the cost of the new KH 20" Flat.

It’s a lot of money just to get a little beefier tire than what is on my 20" Freestyle and with the puny stuff I do it’s not like the freestyle is going to break any time soon.

I just checked and the 20" KH Rim is not up on the KH website. I dropped them an email to see if it’s going to be made available.

It is a lot of money. Eventually I’d like to try the new KH 20" wheel on my trials but even that won’t be cheap. Did you ever switch to a larger tire on the Nimbus 20"? Is there much clearance to go bigger?

Today I posted new videos…

I uploaded some new videos to Youtube yesterday and posted them in
my other other message thread…

I’m not going to duplicate them all here; just this one:

Thanks! This was on my Nimbus 26" muni. It was my second time around the trail and I had no problems on that gate the first time around. I just have to watch my speed next time.

today i jumped over a manhole cover. not that impressive but its a start

Mark-- Jousting, huh?

I’ve been riding to school by uni since last thursday and I wish I had a more comfy seat. And a bigger wheel.

But at least, never any freemounting issues, even in the rain I rode home in today!

I got 3 static mounts to 1 belly flop today! that’s success in my book!

I did a 10km ride on my coker. I dismounted twice to rest my nethers for a few seconds but I was really cruisin! I had fun!

We’re practicing for a talent show (a very informal one)

We have a group of friends we meet with every other year.
We all used to live in So. Cal, but many live scattered throughout
the country now - so we meet at a Christian retreat camp in a different
state every two years.

One of the things we do is a talent show near the end of the week we
spend together. Drew and I will be doing unicycles.

One year he did tricks on his Razor scooter. I had been juggling torches,
and had fuel handy. I poured a small line of fuel and ignited it so Drew
could roll over it. One woman would have had to be physically restrained.
She freaked out. He could have stood on the flames w/o danger, but
some people get reason overtaken by emotion & a panic reaction occurs.

She eventually realized my logic & that there wasn’t any real danger.

This year I might make a bar of flames at the tall end of our jumping
ramp for the “Slum Talent Show”.

(That’s if we can go - this year may have to go on w/o us :frowning: )

today I got my new uni!

I call it “the back up plan”. I didn’t have enough money for a nimbus trials so I got a custom cotterless trials wheelbuild. I haven’t ridden it yet, but it looks really nice.

the specs are:
saddle-blue nimbus gell
seatpost-stripped kh
clamp-yellow double bolt
frame-stripped nimbus 2 40mm bearing housings
tire-maxxis creepy crawler
rim-powder coated lime green 19" rim (last one in stock!)
hub-UDC super wide
cranks-125 nimbus venture cotterless
pedals- odyssey twisted pc green

can you guys see my pics? it’s my first try at them

No pics for me :frowning:

I went to the picture site. If you hover over the picture a dropdown will show options…
where it says IMG Code… copy/paste that into a message

It’ll look like

[IMG] (http://website.com/xxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg) [/IMG] 

BTW, that wheel is GREEN.

hmm, I’ve been hitting the add picture button and then entering the html… I’ll try something else

edit: got it! i just had to change the html to forums and copy that.

edit again: yeah, that’s exactly what I did, thanks for your help!

today I rode my new uni for the first time. It feels so much heavier! I can wheelwalk much better and hop much higher. I hopped up a 2 stair today, without touching any of the steps. I also improved my wheelwalking distance to 7 feet.:smiley:

Tires

Here’s a dumb question guys.

How fast do you go through tires? I’ve been riding my 24" Qu-ax for 31/2 months and I have a bald patch on the tire already! (1.75" x 24 tire) And I’ve only been doing about 8 hours a month on it, on asphalt paths( do do 20+ hours of running though). The fabric inner is already showing. I have twisted the tire 180degrees on the wheel so if it’s caused by pedal pressure I will have taken that pressure off it but I expect it’s more likely a result of a bulging tube. Hopefully it will survive until I get a new tire.

I had seriously never ever considered the idea that I would have running maintenance to worry about.

And I am maintaining my ability not to idle, go backwards or hop. But I am getting a handle along with the tire.:stuck_out_tongue:

What tyre you running? Have you been rotating it often. That seems like an awfully fast time to go through a tyre.

What about pressures?

I do hops and lots of riding on road on my 20" try all sticky and it’s not showing any signs of wear after about a month. I have rotated my cranks once in that time.
I also use a duro wildlife on my 24" qu-ax and no noticable difference in the tyre a few months after I got it…
I did do less riding on road with that one though but probably about 2 miles a week on road or more.

Mowcius

Hi Mowcius,
Yes, I’m surprised too, don’t you worry. :wink:

I basically ride up a riverside path about 3km up and then back again. At a rough guess I don’t go fster than about 7 km/hour faster than a walker but not as fast as a jogger. :frowning:

As I said above, I had never thought about wear so that is the first time I have rotated the tire. I will definitely watch the new one when I get it…

Cheers

James

Rotating the tire like you did is a good idea and should let you get a bit more riding out of it.

I went through the tire on my UDC Club 24" very quickly - most of the wear came during my first few months of learning to ride. The tire was 1.95 with a fairly soft tread. When learning my turns were not very smooth that caused the tire to wear faster than normal.