The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Today I felt really frustrated with my coker riding. I have been riding with shorter cranks (125s) for about a week now and I just don’t feel like I’m in control at all. I had to get off at an intersection and it took me 5 minutes to get started again. I am wondering if I should give up on the 125s and go back to 150s.

This is my feeling. I like the 125s until there is some obstacle such as traffic lights. I’m thinking about trying 114s somewhere with little/no obstacles and just get used to that. Maybe 125s will feel long and more controlled after that. I can’t climb on the 125s though. I may just go for 137s. It’s discouraging and yet it’s good to have a challenge. I’m looking forward to the Schlumph (for the 26"). It should be here in a couple of weeks.

I have tried 125’s, 150’s and 165’s on my 29" Nimbus touring. I like the 150s the best. I don’t feel like I gave up anything on hill climbing with the 150’s over the 165’s and the 150s give me greater control on the downhills. That is really important to me because a couple of months ago I had my worst fall ever on a uni when my 24" got away from me on a downhill. For now I will give up some speed for control. Someday I will go down to 125’s again but I’m in no hurry. Its’ not like I’m spinning the 150’s out yet.

today i learnt how to (kinda) hop on the tire again, so 90 unispin here i come eh? :smiley:

Today I:

Finished organizing all my uni’s on a wall in my shop. Pictures will be posted at some point.

Practiced on my giraffe a lot. I’m now quite comfortable riding it. I can idle well with either foot down and even started doing some full revolution idles and a bit of backwards. As they say, it is easier on a giraffe. The cool thing is, it’s more fun to do these things on a giraffe!

Today I bought the last unicycle tool I could ever need for routine work. A pitman bearing puller. I have a rough bearing on my 29" I plan to see if I can rehabilitate.

Squee! XD

I’ve been learning how to ride for the past three weeks, and today I have finally mastered how to self-mount. It’s so exciting! :smiley: I’ve been learning on my friend’s uni, and I ordered my own, a nimbus 20" trials, that should be arriving in the mail sometime tomorrow. I seriously cannot wait!! It’s like Christmas! haha

I ride around on my campus a lot, and people find it really awesome to see a girl riding a uni for some reason. xD It’s so much fun. I hope it starts spreading and more people start to ride! Could start a unicycle gang on campus, lol.

I can’t wait to start learning tricks and whatnot. Like idling, going backwards, and hopping up stairs. Oh, and uni-wrestling! :smiley:

In a matter of three short weeks, I have become addicted to unicycling! ^-^

what took you so long?

Today was a big day. today I finally signed up for the UGames. I signed up for freestyle, observed trials, and speed trials. Since I live close to the games, I wil be able to go every day and hopefully attend some of the workshops they have. I also got started on my freestyle routine. I have about 30 seconds, but none of it is very exciting.

So far I ride in a fast circle, then transfer into 1 foot riding when I get back to the start. I then turn in a very quick 180 and ride. I then turn and do a 180 hoptwist and ride backwards in a wide arc. I then stop, roll forwards very quickly, and do a 90 degree hoptwist to roll away.

I’m not done yet, though. I went out again and practiced a very large (for a freestyle unicycle) static gap. I did the gap for a wile, then rode home and got my measuring tape. It measured to 35 inches, or 88 cm! I couldn’t believe it!

finally, I ordered a new trials wheelset. it is truly custom. I’m getting the Nimbus street frame, the neon kris holm rim, yellow rim tape, and, when it comes out, the new nimbus blizzard tire. I think I’ will be a pretty sweet setup. I hope to get into trials and street with it, while i can still switch the wheels to practice freestyle for the Ugames.:smiley:

Welcome to the forums! Riding a unicycle is a great way to meet people, have fun and keep in shape.
Just be forewarned that one unicycle begets another!

Yep. In one year I’ve accumulated 9 of them. I share them with family or friends that ride or want to learn.

Really!?! Wow that’s a lot of unis in one year. Do you have a picture of all of them together? That would be a cool “family picture”. : )
I thought that my 3 were a lot for a start and I’ve been adding one a year!

Today I went to a local juggling convention (I can barely juggle, but that’s a different story). I got to ride a giraffe! Managed it on the second attempt too.

Now I am definitely getting one. :smiley:

I bought a 36" last week. It awsome, so much fun, so smooth, so different to the 20". Ive only been riding for 5 months and I nailed the free mount on the 3rd attempt thanks to Unigeezers 36" video tutorial. Thanks Terry!

Today I managed to free mount 4 times. But I have no idea how.
:thinking:

Perhaps I’m thinking too much about it now.

Just keep practicing, you will begin to notice what your body is doing and what works and what doesn’t. Nice thing about freemounting is we practice it every time we ride.

Congrats on your freemounts. That is a great achievement in in the learning progression since it means no more finding things to hold while we mount.

today I worked on hopping. We bought a greenhouse last fall and it came shipped in these plywood boxes and I’m beginning to convert them into a bit of a trials course.
I can consistently hop up 9" onto pallets SI and inconsistently SIF. I am also managing to mount SIF fairly easily.
I was also hopping a gap between a pallet and platform of about 2 feet. The landing is on a platform about 16" wide and a bit lower so it takes a bit of finesse (For me;) ). I could do this SI but I was landing pretty unstably SIF.

I really want to improve my SIF hopping. I know I have said it before :D. I am pretty wobbly. i am trying to be a little bow-legged when I hop to avoid banging the seat on my legs.
Any SIF tips that work for anyone?

Today I did my first road ride on the 36. I did just over 12km in 70min and I am wrecked, but it was fun :slight_smile:

Yesterday I ran a bit over a mile in less than 9 minutes :slight_smile:

I also went out unicycling :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

Awesome! I tried a giraffe once and twisted my knee on a UPD. I have bad knees and I’ve been nervous about even a regular dismount, but it may be time for me to give it another try.

Yesterday I got my sweet new Nimbus X freestyle unicycle “Neville”:

I was going back and forth with different unicycles playing basketball but now I want to get consistent practice with one and also work more on my freestyle tricks.