The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

So how do you size yourself for BMX? I am 5’5" with a 30" inseam.

It’s not a fluke when it’s the second one.

I got a lot of bruising on the inside of my upper thighs when I was beginning, particularly when learning to mount. (I won’t mention what kind of rough activity it looked like I had been doing.;)) I think I was trying to clutch the seat between my legs when it was falling. Now that I can mount better, and spend more time riding than falling, it seems to have gone away.

I’m not up to date with the current hardware so I wouldn’t feel qualified to say, I would have easily been that height (probably closer to 6’) when I was still riding on 20" wheels though.
Taller seatpost, and adjusted for my added height, but it was still a small bike.

Take a look at Freestyle BMX - Wikipedia

Ha, I remember all those names - Geez, I must be getting old!

A 20" BMX is slow and doesnt roll as well in the dirt. I consider those ideal for skateparks, freestyle/tricks. A 24" cruiser BMX is so much faster, rolls amazing, even rode it on intermediate trails but a MTB is better on rocky/twiggy ground and long climbs. Its a fixed gear. Its a race cruiser but I put a fatter tire on front for “shock” absorption. It is amazing on pump tracks, dirt jumps, much more fun and easier to handle on streets. I much prefer it to my MTB. If I continue to get into BMX tracks and dirt jumping, I’ll probably get a dirt jump 24 inch fixed gear with a 80 travel fork up front. And a short chainstay so I can easily do manuals on it and its easier to lift.

For me a MTB is too bulky for me to have “fun” with it besides race through trails and jump logs, rolls over things well. The 20" is too slow and cannot handle much besides very smooth dirt, doesnt roll as well. The 24" seems to be perfect for me!

Also a BMX is more twitchy. I think its a good place to start as it will make me a better rider before I cheat too much with suspension. It teaches you how to ride with the bike. Besides my uni and skates, I love my 24" BMX!

This is what I do on my bmx
pump track with BMX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofuwA2iOfE&feature=PlayList&p=021E55A795803FE1&index=54&playnext=4&playnext_from=PL

Dirt jumps, 24":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z87bcA66uPY&feature=PlayList&p=021E55A795803FE1&index=57

For streets and trails, I prefer to eventually just do uni one day! Bowls I like rollerskates. So when it rains, I guess I’ll order some good metal pedals for my uni as I dont like indoor sports. BMX is a little opposite uni, no sitting in seat! You might like that change.

Today I rode over 6 km without a dismount.

Yesterday I rode almost 4km on my KH29, and only had to dismount once to turn around (I can’t do tight turns on it yet). As I returned home I saw my new neighbour busy gardening, so I tried to do the turn into my driveway and go all the way up to the house (showing off). Of course, the transition from even pavement to lumpy gravel did not go smoothly, and my neighbour looked up just in time to see me do a spectacular UPD. Face plant, gravel spray with full body roll… you get the picture. He came running over to check that I was alright. At least I know that my new neighbour is nice. (And I was alright.)
Susan

Susan,

Where is the video camera when you need it? :roll_eyes: I am glad you are alright.

Do you like the KH 29"? Have you tried riding on trails with it?

I have a Nimbus 29" with a Marathon Supreme tire. It is a lot of fun on roads, but not really suitable for off-road riding.

I love the KH29", it feels rock solid. It has a Kenda Klaw XT tire, which Darren Bedford told me would be good for both on and off road. I want to be able to ride on trails with it, but I’m not good enough yet. I am also waiting for the magura brake to be shipped so that I can start getting more confident going downhill. As illustrated by my mishap yesterday, I find it quite hard to transition from one type of surface to another - it seems that you need to be able to instantly readjust the pedal pressure to maintain the same speed across the transition. I’ll get there though.:slight_smile:

Wow, 4 and 6 kms! That’s great :smiley: even with an UPD at the end. It still counts! Keep it up!
Do you still get sore knees/legs from a ride like that?

I’m looking forward to being able to ride my uni that far so I can take it to the store or to get the mail.
Last night I did our big block with only a few UPD’s at the 90 deg. corners in the sidewalk. I did manage to nail the last 90 deg. corner though so I was happy about that. I was hoping to do the route on the road as it’s smoother and obviously wider but after the first UPD, I couldn’t get back on and had to continue on the sidewalk.
I tried a few sorta-freemounts where the mount was similar but I had one hand on something and released quickly. I didn’t need too much support but I wouldn’t have made any of them without it. I figure I’ll try mounting like that for a bit and not use my hands once the freemount stops freaking me out. I haven’t got shinguards yet and I’m afraid I’ll bash my shins too badly. :wink:

-M

cbs,
That first video looks like fun, lots of jumps and no real big hills to climb. It looks like it would be a smooth track too. I never rode anything that was so well groomed - we just found or made trails where they wouldn’t get closed or destroyed.

-M

:smiley: today i finally made progress with wheelwalking, 1 foot riding and 180 unispins, i was so happy
for ages (admittedly no more than 30 mins riding a day) ive been stuck at maybe 3 or 4 pushes wheelwalking and 1 rev one foot riding, today i wheelwalked maybe 5m and it felt nice and controlled, i managed to one foot for about 3 revs aswell :D, i also cam really close to landing unispins but i still have trouble landing on the cranks or pedals, i landed on both pedals once, then immediately jumped off as i was leaning back loads for some reason and couldnt save it, i also seem to be able to land on my back pedal pretty well, i cant get my front foot to do the same :frowning:
but today has been a good day

Hi i have learnt to finally jump mount and after another hour 180 mount :sunglasses:
which i suppose is more advanced then trying to mount but i would still say im a beginner :stuck_out_tongue:
I am now trying to 180 unispin and im finding it SO hard! The first problem is i have http://www.einradladen.net/shop/show_product.php/cPath/8/products_id/426 (one of them)
and it is completely massive compared to me so when i try to spin it, it gets caught between my legs :thinking: but i think i have pretty much mastered that problem with doing it in SIF :roll_eyes: but im still finding it hard cause the uncicycle just falls from underneath me when i jump and spin it plus it let me actually push my legs outwards. So far i have planned getting a new slim seat(the kris holm one maybe)but other than that has anyone got any tips?
Thanks, adam

molehill i still cant unispin (almost there) but so far the biggest help for me has been The unispin tutorial to end all unispin questions
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwKvxu4BBc

just have a look/read, you’ll probably get these before me :stuck_out_tongue: im crap

Ali

I’ve read it and everything, thanks for finding it btw and i will try it out now:D

Thanks for that i just looked at them and had a 20min session (in the dark :p) and it has helped a lot!I realised either what i started to do on that session or what i always did which was when i jumped i spun the uni and it swooped right under my legs lol :roll_eyes: and after about 20 tries i can now spin and jump and make the unicycle land infront of me but my feet land on the floor but i will try to get the trick done by tomorrow because im nearly there and my mum is holding some festival thing in this park place so i will practise all day :smiley:
I will race u and whoever masters it first wins XD i might try to put up a video as well :sunglasses:

Well thanks anyway cause i found out that when i spun the unicycle and jumped the unicycle swung between my legs and i never realised but now i jump and spin and it lands right infront of me but im gettin closer:D
Whoever does it first wins
Btw if this is second post of same thing its cause it wasnt posting and i dunno wat happened lol

i’ve been riding for about a week now and have accomplished quite a bit. i can 180 unispin, side hop up 3 pallets and ride for quite a while. i hope to improve my rolling hops and practise riding backwards and idling sometime :slight_smile:

Wow! Impressive! You are learning fast.

Today I went for my first muni ride. The snow is mostly melted and the trails are finally fairly dry. i just couldn’t get a feel for the 29er on rough ground. i would go for a bit then get thrown. I just couldn’t get enough leverage. i was going to change to the 165mm holes on my cranks and try again tonight but my wife and I took a day trip into Alaska and went for a hike so I just didn’t have the legs.

yeah hey, but i’ve practised quite a few hours each day. so what you put in, you get out. sounds like a good place for muni, keep it up :):slight_smile: