The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Awesome! :slight_smile: You’ll be cruising around in no time! Keep it up!

Today I had jello legs and could hardly ride at all. I went for a slow and wobbly 6 km road ride and tried to do some flat/trials and I just didn’t have the energy or concentration. It will be better tomorrow.

Yesterday I rode up a 2 mile stretch of uphill pavement to a trail that was very easy by comparison. The whole ride ended up being five miles. The uphill part wasn’t too bad but it was up, up, up without a break. That is my favorite. I love climbing. The descent was pretty hard on the knees. My right knee was pretty stiff during the night, but today it feels great. I’m going to take today and tomorrow off from the uni and bicycle. I’m riding the motorcycle for a couple of days instead. The weather is absolutely wonderful. Friday I’ll tackle some other hill. Looking forward to those brakes to save my knees.

You almost have it. I did about five revs the day before I did 26 and then the next day I did 71.

I am finally starting to feel like I am progressing with idling. I guess it is just the constant iteration. It has been raining here so I haven’t been practicing as much. Can’t wait till I get idling!

Beautiful mb? Its doing nothing but raining here. :angry:

Well, did 200 feet and went around an island today on the 24. Yeah, its starting all over lol. I need to RELAX more. I wobble a lot and look like I’m having a seizure I’m sure lol. I want to try to get a video after my exams next week. I’ll try putting it in a tripod. I’m sure I"m helarious! I’m so sick of school right now. Least on the 24 I’m burning 5000 cal an hour with all my jerky movements lol. I’m really loving it! I ride in between storms.

But anyway, was thinking the 150s are a bit much compared to the 137s I’m used to. Should I put the 137s on and get 127 Venture’s for my trials uni for now?

Ha! I hope that’ll be me. I just do a bit everyday.

137’s are probably preferable to 150’s if you are riding on paved surfaces. But you might want to keep them if you start to muni. I am using 137’s on my 29er and they feel short at times when I want more control but that is probably because my legs aren’t strong enough. The cranks are dual hole so I might try the 165’s when the trails are dry enough to muni. There’s still a bit of snow on them.

Today I rode 8km at about 12 km/h. My legs are tired.

Today I rode about 700 metres and my legs are tired. I don´t get it. Do you get to relax your legs more when you get more confidence? I find my legs are in constant “exertion mode” whether they´re on up or down stroke, and they turn to jelly really quickly. Only sometimes do I manage to relax them a little and maintain balance. Is this how you guys are doing such unbelieveable distances?

BTW, today I took my two unis to the school where I teach, and some of the teenageres mucked about with them. There are now three kids who can manage about 15 metres…Long Live the Revolution!

I feel the same way about people that are doing 40-50 km! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that the point where I was able to ride further was when I actually sat fully on the seat. Before that, I would not put all my weight on the seat and a lot of energy went into holding my body up with my legs. Sancho, what size uni are you riding? I could probably only do 700m on a 20" where I can go much further on a 29.

Yes!

i was out practicing and can now do a rolling hop off of a 2 foot ledge! the only problem is i dont get far out enough to hit stairs yet so i need to keep working on my jumping but im so excited!!!:D:D:D

Awesome!

Cool news!

Yes, in the beginning you use tons more muscles/energy then later. With my new uni, I am burning more calories then doing kung fu lol. The 24" takes every muscle in my body.

Boy I had a Great day of Uni riding after a two day riding break. Today I really tried to sit down all the way and use my upper body for balance. My distance increased, I used lots less energy. I am trying to ride 1/2 mile straight, I am up to 1/8 mile…rest 2 minutes…ride a 1/8 mile…rest…1/8 mile. I am up to 5 runs of a 1/8 mile but I have to rest after each run, it is very frustrating! I am very encouraged that I had to raise my seat since today I sat down far enough to need to extend my legs.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Today I realized that I love my Twisted PC pedals.
They have really saved me from injury. I am able to get my feet off in situations where I would normal get stuck on the pedals and twist my ankle among other things.
I started unicycling last year and only rode for a couple of months total as I kept injuring an ankle (and stupidly kept riding on it). I would take a bit of time off (not enough) and then go and hurt myself again. I healed up this winter and got a fresh start this spring and I have been careful. I tape up my ankle every time I ride my trials uni. This has made a difference but i really think the pedals have helped as well. Tonight my foot rolled off the pedal and I was able to recover without a sprain. A bit of a twinge, that’s all. It probably wouldn’t have happened at all if my legs weren’t tired out from my road ride as I was a bit wobbly.

I was also inspired by the video that Marcus Collings posted today. He did some great SIF hops and skinnies. This is something I would really like to do but i have been a bit frustrated by SIF. i noticed that he seems to have his seat fairly high and I wondered if it gave him more stability. I raised my seat and I was able to pedal SIF for the first time by pulling the seat against my legs as I pedaled! :slight_smile: I hopped about the same height (approx 8") but the uni felt a bit more stable. Seat In felt a bit awkward but i think I will get used to it. More iterations will tell.

Sorry for the long post. I was just musing.:wink:

Your post mirrors one that I was about to write. I took a couple days off to let my knee feel better and went out on my unicycle for an hour this evening. I set a goal for myself to ride the full length of our laneway - It’s a U-shaped laneway around a 12 house cul-de-sac. It’s paved but I wouldn’t call it flat and it’s littered with stones and puddles etc.
Before starting I raised my seat by half an inch to save my legs a bit of stress and swapped in some better pedals.
I started out a bit wobbly and did the length of the laneway a couple times in little bits and gradually worked up to doing it in two sections and then finished my hour doing the full length in one shot. I was glad to get around the stones, navigate the two corners, splash through the puddles and ignore the barking dogs without losing concentration or my balance.
Halfway through my run it occurred to me that I need to maintain an constant speed and pressure on the rising foot to make for a smooth rotation of the pedals. Before this I’d lean back on them as needed but it wasn’t gentle and used way more energy than it should have. I’d been using the pedals like you would on a bike and not maintaining that even pressure.

With that little realization, I’ll sleep on it and bring that to tomorrows practice session. Next goal is to do the full block riding on the road. No worries, it’s a quiet neighbourhood!

-M

Last night i learnt to turn to the left…really do-able and then i was told that if i learn to go both ways now it’ll make it easier in the future so i managed to turn to the right…really sketchily! But i managed. I also fluked a free mount and was then unable to reproduce it.

Last night it was pouring with rain, so I had to work on my skills in the garage. I worked on doing freemounts the wrong way round. No, not backwards, but with my non-dominant foot on the pedal to start. It initially felt very awkward, and the uni was skidding out from under me in all directions, but then after about 10 minutes, I started to nail it about one time in five or six. My riding skills are obviously improving because I was able to recover and ride away from wobbly mounts much more that I could when I first learned to mount the “right” way round.
Idling is not there yet. I have to dab at my support with dominant foot down, but have to hang on tight with non-dominant foot down. (Strange, I always thought idling would come naturally to me.)
I am also of the high seat persuasion. Set her high and you will fly!

Some type of idling are harder than others. :smiley:

Practice!

I was going to take two full days off to rest my knees, but I got my new seat so I had to ride yesterday. Yay! I didn’t have to take any breaks for my burning, fleshy, crotch bits (sorry, I don’t know how else to explain that). I only had time for an hour and a half ride. I did a very steep, paved road for .5 mile with an average grade of 14%. Going up I had to dismount twice to rest. I did some easier grade climbs and some level riding. Level riding on the 24" is slow, almost to the point of boring. I love the hills though. My knees feel fine today. I’m getting lazy about practicing or iterating my backwards and idling skills. That is tonight’s goal.

I decided to ride my old 1986 Gary Fisher mountain bike to work today. I thought it would be fun to ride a bike with platform pedals. It’s heavy, has old bear claw pedals, no suspension, and the seat is set up wrong. Going down a hill at a good clip, I realized I didn’t have very good brakes. Hmmm. It was a good leg-burning workout. It will be my project this weekend to service the bike.

cbs, I am curious about riding a bmx bike. Is it a fixed gear? Are they good for dirt?

Today i fluked another freemount. That’s two now. I also have noticed that i have terrible bruising around the upper thigh region…OW! In so many ways OW! Is this normal? Will that go as i relax and reduce the riding tension? Or am i doomed to have bruised nethers forevermore?

cbs, I hope you don’t mind if I chime in on the bmx Q…

I rode BMX quite a while ago (mid 80’s) and they ruled in the dirt. They were small enough to throw around and offered really good control. Most of our riding was fast trails through the bush or groomed jumps off the side of the road. They were fixed gear, that was part of the design. They werer really bad for long distances but we did it anyways.

I’m not sure how a full-squish mountain bike would compare as I’ve never tried one but my older but decent quality hardtail MTB sucks off road by comparison. I don’t feel that it affords the range of motion that a BMX would. It’s as-if the seat were too high but that’s the design - put the seat lower and it’s not really rideable.

-My $0.02