The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

I don’t like the direction this is taking. This is not the discussion for who is daring or not daring, and not the place to be drawing differences based on peoples ages.

This is a thread about people’s accomplishment, no matter how easy or basic.

Well I was bringing it back on topic :slight_smile:

Today I managed nothing new :frowning:

I didn’t mean to put anyone down, I was just wondering why so many people want to ride but don’t try…anyway, it doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

Today I did my first few rolling hops up curbs! I did better than I thought, I’m really keen to try rolling hops down a set of stairs now…any advice before I go and hurt myself? :stuck_out_tongue:

The initial query wondering why people do and don’t try out a uni was fine. I just didn’t like the direction it was starting to turn, about old people not being daring, etc. It’s an interesting question but I just feel it belongs in its own thread.

Nothing new from me today either. Might head out to my driveway in a few and do some idle practice. Otherwise its a distance ride in the morning before the rain gets here.

Hi, comparing to all this century riders I feel like beginner so I’ve choosen this thread. Yesterday I’ve done more than 20km trip for the first time. What is better it got even a bit more than 20 miles. More or less half of it was out of paved road (usually doubletrack).
I’m suprised about how well I feel today. No soreness in “sitting parts”, no problems with muscles. I’m ready for more next weekend :slight_smile:

This weekend I started working towards 180 unispins (I asked what to learn next and that’s the answer I got!). I’m still a way off, although I’ve almost landed a few. Learning tricks like this on a 24" makes it hard, but I’ve seen them done so they must be possible and I’m sticking at it!

To start off with, I learnt the 180 jump mount. If you can already do a jump mount it’s actually more about confidence than technique. The most important part is to only spin the uni once your feet have left the ground, not spin it first and then jump on - this is the part that I’m still working on! :smiley:

http://www.vimeo.com/10846451

Any comments / suggestions on my techhnique would be greatly appreciated. I’m aiming to do a 180 unispin so I want to get this part right first!

Ha, I’ve never even seen that mount. Looks like it’s coming along!

That is a lot of pallets in the background! Think of the trials course you could build with those! Cool mount.

I haven’t posted in this thread since page 57. We have a long winter and I’m finally getting back out riding. I am starting my third season but I still think of myself as a beginner. I am so impressed by the progress some people have made in this thread. I am definitely a slow learner.
I loaned my trials uni to a friend last year and I haven’t ridden it since last spring. I took it out tonight and felt like I was relearning how to ride it. After about 20 minutes I got more comfortable. I was doing SI, SIF and rolling hops up curbs. I also worked on pedaling SIF and managed to ride backwards for about 20’. That is kind of where I left off last year on my trials uni.
I also found a great curb tonight that was about 8" wide with a 6" drop on either side. It was great for working on riding skinnies. I am pretty lousy at that and could only go less than a metre.
I mostly rode muni on my 29er last year and I’m hoping to do more trials this year (as long as my ankle holds up) and get some distance on my new 36er.
My goals for the next little while; riding fairly skinny lines for at least a few feet, SIF hop 20-30cm, pedaling SIF without any problems, and a 10km ride on my 36er.
I’m pretty excited!:slight_smile:

Shin pads and a helmet can’t hurt! My KH leg armor saved me last week during a bad muni fall. I went down a steep dip and my feet came off the pedals as I started going up. I was launched a couple feet in the air and my landed with the side of my leg on a big rock. With the leg armor I dusted off and laughed about it. Without it there would have probably been a trip to the emergency room involved.

Indeed, I only just noticed those on a second viewing.

I need to find somewhere to get pallets from! and I need somewhere to put them up in a trials course. There is a spot in someone’s field that I have spied! I will have to go and ask them some day. They also seem to have a rather large bonfire pile with a few pallets and some other wood bits :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

Indeed, I live opposite some sort of pallet yard. They buy up pallets left right and centre. I’m not sure if they sell them on again, as the pile seems to grow and never get any smaller (they’ve only been there about 4 months).

I have been in there and had a ride around, and I’ve thought about stealing some pallets as they often leave the place unlocked overnight, but my garden is too small to be building any kind of trials course! :smiley:

Shame they aren’t just free :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I know what you mean! :frowning:

Mowcius

a bit further

Well I managed to get past 3km on Saturday morning, but I started thinking about work and flopped off… Don’t know if I should be happy that I can now think and ride or sad that I obviously can’t do both at the same time for very long… Afterwards I went for a run.
Yesterday I got round the Honam International Marathon in 3:31:18 so feeling reasonably happy. I’ve decided that riding the uni is probably as hard as running training wise. I had been hoping I could ride the uni as light/recovery exercise.

For the guy coveting his neighbour’s pallets, they are a valuable commercial item. I worked in a retail job a few years ago where we counted inbound and outbound pallets. Anyway one of the golden rules of life, “if it’s not yours, it’s not yours.” But go and ask anyway, you never know what they will say and they are bound to be intrigued by your proposed use of the pallets.

And to the guy wondering about us old aged people, in the situation where someone is suddenly approached by a unicyclist, morris dancer sword swallower he/she is most likely going to be polite and show interest, that doesn’t mean they have a secret yearning. Otherwise we tend to have suffered the inconvenience of injuries and so on and are therefore a little more cautious.

And I’m going to sleep in tomorrow, no early morning ride. It’s been a tiring week.

Cheers all

Today I managed to do an epic body slam/belly flop onto some wooden pallets. Captured it on tape too :stuck_out_tongue:

…it was off my uni :stuck_out_tongue:
…and completely unplanned D:

however painful, it was damned funny- and as such, im counting it as an achievement. o.O

Im learning 180’s atm, I’ll be back here to boast when I land it! SOON!

Today I rode for a bit and then gave up. I was sore from yesterday and I kept falling. i figured I would end up really hurting myself. I have bruises on the front and inside front of my legs from SIF hopping. They are making hopping uncomfortable. I guess I’m a big ole baby! :stuck_out_tongue:
Back on the horse tomorrow.

Wow, this thread really took off didn’t it. I have not been unicycling in like, forever! It’s a horrible tragedy I know. The other day I went to ride my uni, I inflated the tire to find that the bead on the tire had seperated from the tread part! So Today I… got a new tire! And this means I will be unicycling again! It’s amazing how chubby I’ve gotten from not riding, that uni is a really good work-out huh?

It’s good to be back and it’s even better to see that so many people are enjoying themselves with all the new things they are learning!

Youtube Youtube Youtube!

Yay Dane M, welcome back, and thanks for starting this thread.
There was a stage where I was learning to ride and learning some freemounts where I found this thread so encouraging. Lots of the beginners have now progressed to intermediaters, but the thread still seems welcoming to real beginners. I lurk here and enjoy everyone’s achievements even though I rarely post here now. :slight_smile:

haha very nice, well I’m far behind now, I still have my balance, but my backwards riding is not as good as it was and I dare not try to do any 180s yet or 180 unispins again until I’m re-conditioned. I don’t want to injure my knees again

HI DANE! You will have it back in no time. Nice to hear from you again. I’m still quite the beginner. I suspect everyone is because we all try to progress to concur more challenges. (I still can’t hop up a blank-a-T-blank curb–pathetic).

Oh that’s fine, it’s always small steps, and practice practice practice. I’m very out of shape though, I forgot how in-shape I was when I was riding, I used to ride all day, today I rode down the street and I was out of breath.