tastelessness at unicon

Re: Re: tastelessness at unicon

From Arnold the Aardvark:
> You might as well shout at the sky.

I agree with this, in terms of expecting people to be able to detect whether something they are doing might be seen by others as either political or offensive. The banners in China were thought by their owners to not be political, and one of the writers here is saying Jamey’s act was not political. I’m saying they both were. Not overtly in either case. Jamey was putting on a performance, but his performance had political overtones. If a quote from a President about going to war is not political, you need a new definition of what is.

But before I go on, I’d like to re-advocate my own position on all of this. Though I believe political stuff should be left out of sporting conventions, I do not intend to apply this to Freestyle performances.

I did try to get a proposal passed on “offensive material” last year, but it had a lot of difficulty. It’s hard to define such things, but the idea for it arose from offensive lyrics in a performer’s music, which were obvious enough. In any case, “judgment” would have to be used. If such a rule were to exist, I still would not have applied it to Jamey’s performance. His main message, as I saw it, was a tribute. The “ass” thing was borderline, but if it passes on TV (which it currently does, in the US, I’m not going to make noise about it.

> freedom has a price called responsibility.

It does indeed. But telling people to be responsible doesn’t work if they don’t realize the issues. I doubt that you could have explained to Jamey that some people might be offended by his performance. Or perhaps I don’t give him due credit, but in either case, I think he would have gone ahead with it anyway, to present what he felt.

That is part of what art is about. In this case, using a unicycle to tell a story and express a feeling. Competition-wise, we should judge the art based on its merits as they relate to the judging criteria. Yes, the various judges will have different impressions based on their own native countries and personal feelings. But that’s all part of subjective judging.

> I would like the sport itself to clearly state that it is
> apoliltical - no boycotts, no banning entrants from
> <pick country not on US A-list>.

I agree. What are others’ thoughts on this, applying it to the conventions, not to Freestyle performances?

> On the other hand, artistic performances can
> only successfully be subject to guidelines regarding
> taste, morality, politics and so on. Recall that
> some of the greatest art in the world comprises political
> statements.

Any restrictions we attempt to place on Freestyle performances will have to be relatively vague, as the one that was proposed last year. Unless people have other ideas. Think in terms of how you’d write it, and how it will be interpreted by people in the US, China, UK, Germany, and Japan, for example.

> Basically: a performer should try not to offend; the
> audience should try not to be offended.

You need a little of both. The definition of “offensive” is hard enough to get close to. The rule I was trying to draft applied to things like known offensive words or concepts, overt sexuality, etc. It would not be applicable to Jamey’s performance, nor to a performance by people supporting the Vieques cause.

> I’m sorry I missed JM’s performance. It sounds by all
> accounts to have been a truly memorable exercise in
> poor judgement.

I think Jamey would disagree with you. He may have failed to consider how non-Americans would view his act, but I don’t think that would have stopped him from doing it the way he did. He put up a very powerful message, and created this interesting controversy and discussion. We are all learning something from it.

From Sendhair:
> Do we need political demonstrations at Unicycling
> events?

A better question would be do we want political demonstrations. And who should decide whether we can have them or not. Should the hosts and/or IUF decide? Or should this be left up to attendees who show up after two or more years of planning and work by the hosts? The answer is obvious enough. If you want to campaign or influence public opinion about stuff outside of unicycling, fine. Do it outside of someone else’s unicycle convention. That’s not what the convention is for.

> while I’m there… I want to have FUN.

That’s right. And whatever else we’re supposed to have at a unicycle convention. We have fun, we forget our cares, we challenge ourselves artistically and athletically.

And there’s more to that. We’re on vacation. We’re surrounded by people of other nations, religions, and ways of thinking. At a convention we all get together and share. We learn from each other.

There’s only one “political” message I would like a UNICON to convey, and my hope is that they will continue to do it, as the first 11 have. That is the message that it doesn’t matter where you’re from, we can all get together, share, and have a good time, IN PEACE.

Yes, that’s political, but it’s not the primary message of a UNICON so I hope nobody minds. But it’s one of the “off-topic” messages I hope every attendee take home with them.

From Yoopers:
> Instead of all of us surmising the purpose of Jamie’s
> routine and what message, if any, he intended to
> convey, it would be nice to hear directly from him.

Yes it would, though not necessary. He is like the artist who presents his work, then steps back to see what people think of it. Some artists like to explain what they did, while others prefer that you form your own opinions.

The one question I’d like to ask Jamey is if he has a personal connection to the 9/11 events. That was the impression I got. Or was it just a theme he chose to use, and then used it very strongly?

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

Re: tastelessness at unicon

I belive he was being serious. I agree with his INTENDED point completly.

Sarcasm like that is hard to pull off in text fourm like this.

tastelessness at unicon

OK. Let’s get personal about this, then, shall we?

It may put things in a bit more understandable perspective.

I’m a citizen of the United States of America. I was born there. I didn’ t have a choice about that. The fact that I was born there does not mean that I automatically accept or support what the government in power at any given time does. Despite the propaganda, the people in charge of any given government are not the general population at large…

but…

back to my original point…

Since September 11th, 2001 is the date in question, let’s all for a moment, consider where we were and what we were doing at that terrible moment in time (for all of you who are not citizens of the USA and are not directly involved with the events that happened in NYC, Washington, DC, and Shanksville, PA, please bear with us…).

In personal terms, then;

On September 11th, 2001, at approximately 10:15PM, my local time, I was walking out of the subway station on my way home, when my cellphone rang… My Kiwi friend and colleague said to me “You won’t believe what just happened in your country!” I said, “OK, what?”. As he started to tell me about the plane that had crashed into the WTC, he gasped, and said “ANOTHER plane just smacked into the OTHER building!!!”

I went home, turned on the TV, and tried to call my one and only brother, who just happened to have moved to NYC last August to start a new job… as it turned out… all lines into NYC were busy… (I’m sure millions of other people had this experience… should we make an artistic Unicycle performance out of it?)

My best friend from art school also lives in Manhattan… I couldn’t contact her by telephone, either.

I sent email to both my brother and my best friend. Then I watched the WTC burn and crumble. I watched the people jump from the impossibly high windows as they tried to escape the inferno inside their everyday workplaces…

I got email from my brother saying; “I’m OK.”

I got email from my best friend saying “I’m OK.”

I continued to watch the TV broadcasts…

Soon after a plane crashed into the Pentagon in Washington, DC… yet another plane crashed a mere 25 kilometers from my parents’ house in Pennsylvania. I thought; “That’s not so far; for a plane that travels 500kms/hour…”

OK, long story short… nobody in my immediate family or circle of friends was killed or injured in the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001, in the U.S.A…

I felt a personal connection, though.

All the same, I do not support anyone making the whole travesty into a vehicle for personal gain nor do I support the display of a metaphor of that day’s events as an “artistic” performance.

I kept on watching the TV broadcasts until I had to go to work the next day… I didn’t sleep.

I sent this message a bit ago… and as he reccomended I figured I would put it up with the rest of this jargon.

My message about just baning stuff from the next preformance was directed at the absurdity of people in this world. There is no logical reason to ban this event. Nor should people try to limit someone elses creativity in an Artistic preformance. If the way the artist chooses to express himself is not tastefull or PC thats his decision.

Getting rid of political messages in preformances would have the same effect as banning their preformance. Politics is everywhere directlly or indircetly. If you stop one person from doing a tribute to the world trade center. You will also have to stop people from doing a Puff the magic dragon theme. (Many people object because of the drug context in the story and song)

You mentioned something about just having fun and no need for politics like going to the movies. But when was the last time you have seen a movie with no political message directlly or indirectlly. Political symbolism is everywhere.

Just my thoughts

> Just because somebody “created” something doesn’t
> make it art. We all “create” a bowel movement daily…

Ha! That’s an EXCELLENT analogy! I’ll have to remember that one.

But… and here’s the rub:

If you take that bowel movement, frame it, and hang it on the wall, it somehow crosses that fine line into the “could be art” category.

I’ve seen unicycling performances that fall on either side of that framed thing, in as far as my own “it’s art” meter. By definition, they are all art.

I guess this means, among other things, that in art, you have the freedom to create crap.

Stay on top,
John Foss

> However, I propose some slightly different questions:
>
> Do we need political demonstrations at Unicycling events?

Everything not mandatory is forbidden? Ick.

> …while I eat an ice-cream cone or make love or ride my Unicycle?

Or all three at once: level 11.

> No, this is NOT being shallow. This is insisting on our right to have a
> little FUN once in a while without someone crapping in the punchbowl.
> There is absolutely nothing wrong or (god and bush forbid!) unpatriotic
> about that.

I disagree: I’d say it is wrong, unpatriotic and shallow to censor that sort
of thing.

> -Some- of us are trying to have a serious, or at least, rational
> discussion about this.
> Try to get with the spirit of the conversation. OK? It’s a little
> important to some people.
> Nobody made sarcastic comments about your idea to start a non-profit
> custom Unicycle supply, now did they?

Well, mine were a little sarcastic, but they went right over his head.
Whoosh.

Re: Re: tastelessness at unicon

[amid screams of OFF-TOPIC! OFF-TOPIC!]

That brings to mind a waste years ago of my hard earned funds funneling into the system at Northern Illinois University with the purchase of a certain piece of $10,000 “art???” to be displayed in front of the student center. The biggest waste of money I’ve ever seen. This thing was ugly! (disclaimer: …in my eyes).

How true, John. How true!

[open to fiery arrows now…]

Bruce

Would I be right in thinking you believe that you can say or do anything as long as you call it art?

So if someone was to hurl abuse at you in the street but did it in an artistic way (in their eyes) you would call them an artist and applaud them for it? Hmm.

And I thought my analogies are unusual.

Personally I’ve seen plenty of films without a political message; they may have had moral and humanitarian messages though.

Who in this forum actually enjoys politics? It maybe important but I don’t enjoy it. I do enjoy unicycling though.

Gary

You can do anything you want… but others also have the freedom to do anything back to you to punish you for your actions.

Jamey’s Reply on all of this

Hello everyone,
Sorry it took me so long to reply, been meaning to once I heard about all of this, but college just started and I’ve been really busy doing all of that stuff-I barely had enough time to read all the replies. Anyways, here’s what I have to say;

First and foremost, MY INTENTIONS FOR THIS ROUTINE WAS STRICTLY TO BE PATRIOTIC AND FOR IT TO BE A TRIBUTE TO ALL THE FAMILIES THAT LOST LIFES ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 ALONG WITH ALL THE FIREFIGHTERS, POLICE OFFICERS AND WORKERS THAT DIED AND ALL OF THE HEROS THAT EMERGED IN NEW YORK!! I put that in capitols because I want everyone to know what my meaning behind the routine was and think it’s important.

I’m sorry to everyone that I offended, made mad, embarrassed, etc. I would have never guessed people would have been offended (or anyother feeling), mainly because I am not into politics. To tell you the truth I hate politics and even go as far to say I think almost all politicians are crooked and liars…but that’s another story.

When I put the routine together, I wanted a routine that was very moving, emotional, and patriotic. I would say that I achieved what I was going for, going off of all the comments about it throughout this forum both bad and good. Apparantly it must have been a good performance if it made so many people have strong feelings towards it. I had many people come up to me afterwards saying how they enjoyed every minute of my routine and that it made them tear up. This was my intention. To do a routine that people didn’t just watch, but watched and had feelings towards it…kind of like a movie that makes you cry.

I wanted to show my feelings of what happened and how I felt throughout everything that went on. This was my story line; Start out being all proud and happy to be an american way up high on my 12 footer with “Born in the USA” playing (just like people were before 9/11/01). Then all of a sudden a jet plane sound is heard along with an explosion and fire in which I jumped off the 12 foot (symbolizing the terrible WTC building collapsing). Some sirens go off while I bow and take a moment of silence to remember all those that died while wiping tears away from my eyes. Then I slowly got on my uni and looked at the crowd with a song saying “Where were you when the world stopped turning, on that September day?” Because I think it was a sad day for most people throughout the world and an important one to remember. So this was my “sad” part of the routine. I had Bush in the background saying "that there had been a terrible tradgedy and that two planes had crashed into the world trade center-nothing political. Then the songs got a little bit more up beat and angrier, because that is what I felt after 9/11/01. I felt like going and “kicken some ass” whoever was responsible for it-and I still hope and pray that all those terrorists involved will pay for it someday. So this is where I was supposed to look pissed off. Next came the “Proud to be an American” because I have always been and will always be one. It ended with Bush saying “we will never forget this day…god bless america…thank you”. I could’ve used political sayings from his speach but chose not to, because again I hate politics and just wanted this to be a patriotic tribute. This is how I pictured and performed my routine and hoped others saw it. If you didn’t, again I apoligize.

I know this is getting long, but so much to say. I will go on to admit that after hearing all of these replies, I still would not have changed a thing about my routine. I believe it was a rather good tribute, not a sloppy routine where I fell a lot and it didn’t look like shit (can’t say that about everyone’s expert routines-if anything I’d be talking to those individuals that really shouldn’t have been in the expert catagory…but that is another subject for another time).

I want to end with saying that some people need to lighten up on things and not blow things out of porportion. If I would have had the whole Bush speech for my routine then I could see people getting upset. But it was in the US and if you don’t like americans being patriotic than either deal with it or don’t come here. Don’t just sit and complain about things you look to deep into and draw conclusions from. Sit back, relax and enjoy or close your eyes and plug your ears-it’s your choice. Not everyone likes everyone and everything in this world-that’s life and you have to deal with it. If someone wants to dress up as the devil and do a routine worshipping the devil-go for it, but I don’t think you’d win. But I wouldn’t have a problem with it or anyother type of routine for that matter. I would just sit back and enjoy it for what it’s worth and appreciat all the time and effort they put into the routine. I was trying to have fun and entertain everyone with an emotional routine that you don’t see often enough in expert routines. I really put a lot of time and work into making this routine, and was totally shocked to find out that people didn’t like it.

As to anyone that’s not seen my routine and replying, I again don’t think you have any right in talking about it. That’s like talking about a movie you’ve only heard about, but not seen. I mean come on…get real.

For the rest of you, I appreciate your comments and hope you all put a smile on your face and have a nice rest of the day. Live life like it’s your last day!

Jamey Mossengren

PS. Please spell my name right from now on. I know it’s an uncommen way to spell it but now you know. Thanks. I know I have more to say, but will end it for now.

Smile! :slight_smile: It makes people wonder what you’re up to!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Jamey-

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread. Thanks also for clarifying your position and intent.

yeah jamey, thanx for pointing out EXACTLY why performances of that ilk has no place at international conventions

i doubt if we want to quantify our art and claim it to be great because it sparks so much discussion
that would make HUSTLER the greatest magazine in the world, wouldn’t it?

there was a time when the greeks would stop wars to have the olympic games because they realised that some things are simply more important
such as people getting together and realising that they are indeed all equal, have battled the same difficulties and had to draw on the same reserves of strength of character to excell in their chosen field of endeavour
and maybe, just maybe, after competing, while sharing a meal of marmite sandwiches and root beer, having a discussion that leads to more insight into the vagaries of being human
things like ‘foreign policy’ and the like

keep politics out of sport/unicycling and if u have to write laws to do it, do it

tastelessness at unicon

The problem with “patriotism” is that too many times it becomes just a slogan to defend “nationalism”. It also has become a word that is used to make people shut up when they righteously criticize something that “their” government is doing. If “patriotism” to you means “my country, right or wrong”, well, then I’m not a patriot. Excuse me now while I go hide myself from the Homeland Security Forces.

I seriously doubt that the firefighters, rescue personnel, police officers, and just plain ordinary office workers who tried to help people in the WTC were acting out of a sense of patriotism. There were people in that building from at least 48 different countries. Would it have been patriotic to only rescue Americans?

The attitude of “just sit back and enjoy and don’t ask questions” is a very dangerous one… if you think this a way to hold on to your freedom of speech, think again.

tastelessness at unicon

It’s always been and still is a mystery to me WHY Bruce Springsteen’s song “Born in the USA” was ever considered to be some kind of patriotic anthem. If you look at the lyrics, the song is anything BUT a positive message about being born in the USA.
As a protest song about the abandonment of vets returning from the war in Vietnam, it is patriotic in terms of exercising one’s right to criticize the government. It seems that mostly, people have cued-in on only the chorus of the song without really thinking about or listening to the lyrics.

BORN IN THE U.S.A.
Born down in a dead man’s town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that’s been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up

(chorus)
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

(chorus)

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says “Son if it was up to me”
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said “Son, don’t you understand”

I had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They’re still there, he’s all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I’m ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain’t got nowhere to go

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I’m a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I’m a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.

Thank you Jamey (spelt correctly now I know) for writing to the forum and making it clear what your intensions were. I don’t doubt you didn’t intend to cause offence but there are countless examples of this. Someone from the U.S.A. may well of interpreted the routine in the way you intended but I do feel that you have underestimated the international feelings on this subject and that is what is at issue here (plus the wider ramifications for future events).

Slightly OT but, and this is a serious question, why do citizens of the U.S.A. most often refer to themselves as just Americans? And why is it so good to be patriotic to ones country of birth? Nicolas Chauvin the legendary French soldier under Napoleon was noted for his vociferous and unthinking patriotism (hence chauvinism). Is this just a matter of differing interpretations?

Anyway in the UK the press (yes the UK press) have decided not to show images from September 11th unless it is deemed absolutely necessary and in my opinion it took them way too long to make that decision. Whether they stick to it is another matter.

I don’t think anyone will change their minds on subjects such as this (politics, bad taste etc) unless that is they experience it from the opposite side and, now this is the important part, they can relate and link the two. Be objective, stand back and look at it from someone else’s perspective. We all have differing opinions, which is good, and if you want yours respecting respect other peoples don’t just tell them to deal with it. Diplomacy would be a good word to use here.

Gary

patriotism at UNICON

Yes, good question, Gary. I’ve thought about this, myself. Actually, it goes two ways…
People from other countries often call people from the United States of America, “Americans”

Technically, any person from the continents of North and South America could reasonably call themselves “American”, just as there are “Europeans”, “Africans”, “Asians”, etc…

I bet you’d be hard-pressed to find a Canadian who’ll let you call them “American”, though, and it’s not because they don’t know which continent Canada is on.

The term often does carry opposing nuances, depending on who’s saying it and where. I’m not sure that many “Americans” who have not been outside the US are aware of this, though.

It’s a matter of established practice, mostly.

It’s also a lot easier to say than “United States of American”.

unicus wrote:
"I don’t think anyone will change their minds on subjects such as this (politics, bad taste etc) unless that is they experience it from the opposite side and, now this is the important part, they can relate and link the two. Be objective, stand back and look at it from someone else’s perspective. "

to quote doctor phil, ‘no matter how thin u make the pancake, it’s allways got two sides’

My two cents

Jamey,

I totally agree with your synopsis of the current dialogue relative to your beautifully created performance.  You have recognized ordinary people who experienced and/or did extraordinary deeds (some tragic).  It would not offend me if similar ordinary people from around the  world were remembered.  Your routine did not  present a message of retaliatory harm to any person or place.  It rather, very artistically, created yet another way to recognize that we are all just people caught in the web of separatism, nationalism and hate.  If we really want to keep politics out of competition, then let's do away with the categorizing of participants by country; introduce all riders as riders of the world; do away with nationalistic olympics/similar-events, and have such events be skilled based and only skilled based regardless of national origin.

Is Memorial Day an offensive political statement or a recognition of ordinary human beings caught in the cycle of the cruelty in the world caused by the very few (20/80 rule – 20% of the people cause 80% of the problems)?

The dialogue on this thread has been a great exercise in the expression of freedom of speech, but yet another example of how those very people who want a nonpolitical event are so quick to interpret things as offensively political. I have come away from this event with an immense respect for the challenges and the art of international communication. What is said and its intent often take a back seat to how it is perceived.

There will always be rebuttals to expressed feelings and beliefs, regardless of the intent of such expressions. We are all intelligent enough (I think) to know when something is an expression of harm. I believe that is where the line is drawn. Pride in self, genuine respect for others and one’s affiliations; i.e.: school, unicycle team, pro-basketball/football/soccer/other; are all a part of the experience of life, and a necessary part of it, as shown in Maslow’s hierarchy. Should we view cheerleaders as vehicles for the passing of political views or an exciting (possibly) creative, and positive way to spread the joy and energy of the moment?

There is no such thing as “constructive criticism”; but rather it truly is a “constrictive crudicism”. Jamey, however well intentioned we all tried to be in the dialogue on this thread, I can only imagine how it must have raised some strong emotions of shame, guilt, confusion, and/or frustration in you.

Your routine creations have been beautiful and your presentations inspiring. I thank you for bringing me moments of joy and wonder with your performances throughout the years.

Keep on riding on!!

at1pe_uni

In article <tuna6869.ajgfb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
tuna6869 <tuna6869.ajgfb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I wanted to show my feelings of what happened and how I felt throughout
)everything that went on. This was my story line; Start out being all
)proud and happy to be an american way up high on my 12 footer with “Born
)in the USA” playing

Have you actually listened to the lyrics of “Born in the USA”? It’s not
about being proud and happy to be an American.
-Tom