T-bars / handles

Finally got out today to try the new handle bars…man-alive that was weird!
First of all, while adding the handle I must have re-fitted the seat half a centimetre higher. I just couldn’t mount and get going. Eventually I removed the handle, realised the height change and fixed that first.
With the handle back on I realised that it was putting me off mounting and I had to look up and mount using the seat handle as normal to get over that. The 90mm cross bar does rub against my inner thighs but not badly and the only time I felt it was a bit weird was while twisting in the seat to make tight turns. I did catch the leg of my baggy mountain bike shorts on it a few times while trying different positions!
I tried quite a lot of positions from low and long to high and close realising that it got in the way of using the handle on the seat for mounting if too high/close. With it out at a distance I had a couple of close calls when I realised I was leaning on it and sending myself over the front :astonished:

Every change on a uni seems to require a bit of brain retraining but I was surprised how off-putting this was. In the end I had to keep trying different positions until I felt more positive about it otherwise I knew it would just put me off going out again. I think I’ve found a position that works and allows me to use the handle to aid my riding but I can see this is going to take a few rides to get comfortable with it. I did get some photos of the final (maybe) position but I’m off to Lisbon for a week with work so I’ll post pictures and more updates when I get back next weekend.

Did you get the QuAx handle? Be patient. I have spent a lot of time adjusting handle setups, and so will you. When I first used handles, I also mounted using your technique of grabbing the plastic seat-handle. Over time, I started grabbing the handle setup instead. At a certain point, I removed the grab handle, allowing me to setup my bars closer to the seat.

Your primary concern right now is safety (yours and the handle’s). Can you UPD off the front and catch the handle behind you? If you are planning on dropping the unicycle a lot, I suggest you work on mounts on grass/dirt and/or install some kind of foam/rubber on your handle to soften the blow. I use lacrosse bumpers on my bar extensions. Not sure what the option is for the QuAx handle.

The first uni I tried with handle bars was the 36" and there I also noticed at first I was leaning too much to the front and tumbled off a few times, but after a few runs you feel the new center and it becomes very comfortable. I don’t put a T-Bar on my 29" as I mostly use it to ride off-road where the chance of UPD is much bigger. I might however try the QuAx again - my legs have long since healed from the one trip rubbing. Hopefully I still have all the parts.

A few months ago I borrowed a 26 muni from a friend. It had a really short and narrow KH handlebar, and it was an eye opener for me. Much better control, easier to use the brake, and no problems with UPD’s (no more than usual anyway). I now put handle bars on every unicycle.

When it is a very bumpy road I tend to stand more on the pedals. In that case a handle bar won’t be used, but sure if there are longer stretches or flat road, a handle bar will be more comfy. Do you also hold on to the handle bar when making a 90 degree turn?

Handlebars become more advantageous the larger the wheel/shorter the cranks.
On the 32 I ride the handlebars are definitely used during bumpy sections. If the tire gets behind you for any reason, you can give a quick jerk up on the bars to snatch that wheel back where it should be!

I do not use them for 90’s

I use it for technical muni. I’ve removed the plastic bumber, so there is nothing else to hold on to (photo on top of this page). The plastic bumper may be better for your back though. For long distance I use a regular extended handlebar.

I’ll echo the statement that handlebars are very useful for enhancing stability.

If I stopped and wanted to jump 90deg I would use both hands on the bars and lean and jump. If I was rolling I would use both hands.
You do still sometimes let go with one hand if your weighting is way out to lunch and you need to be harsh like a bull rider to bring it back to correct.

But if your weighting is close then two hands will bring it back with some smooth style. This is much more efficient and a provides a “flowy” feel.

You think one hand provides you some stability, wait till you try two!

(As well, a KH T-bar allows you to use one hand on the horizontal bar between the handles if you so choose.)