suspension -just thinking...

I think it would be cool to make a pogo-uni. Using a giraffe insert shocks in the frame and put chain tensioners on both sides of the chain to take up the slack during compression. Could be fun…

suspension Muni

You people do not know what You are talking about.

When it comes to Muni suspension, I stand by my statement!

What statement is that?

I’ve ridden some that were, and some that weren’t, but it’s the springy ones that were comfortable. The problem is that you can’t mix the springy with rough terrain.

I still would like to think there would be benefit in a short-throw, suspension seatpost for road riding. Got to try it someday, if I can find one that’ll still work with whatever handlebars and other stuff I’ve got on there.

For a long time I had an inexpensive, spring-type suspension post on my MUni. It worked well, but was limited in that it was a fixed length. A shorter person would not have been able to use it, and I would have preferred it a little shorter. Got to find one that doesn’t require long length…

No, I most certainly do not know what I’m talking about; I can barely ride 150 feet on a unicycle and have never been near one with suspension! But i have lived through people saying front suspension is silly on an MTV, then full suspension was silly…up to the point where today it seems like the majority agree you can’t compete w/o suspension in the MTB world. Unis are different, of course, but still…

I think suspension may have some benefit, But my reason for originally (re)posing the question had nothing to do with trying to fix a problem, I was just thinking that it would be rather simple to use conventional MTB front end tubes as the basis of building a rather simple suspension uni. I’m in no rush to make one, but I’m certainly going to keep giving it thought.

Sam

if you want some serious conversation about unicycle suspension this thread is worth a read. :slight_smile:

I’d agree if you spend a lot of time riding out of the seat or ride light on your seat, but I woudl imagine having a suspended seat would be nice at times, though it would change the distance between seat and pedal.

Suspending the wheel seperate from the rider without changing inseam length, that’s the challenge.

Now Eric, clearly that is a thread that went a long ways and never got anywhere :smiley:

I spent $100 for a high quality suspension seat post, cut it down to fit my uni, then took it for a spin. It didn’t seem to add a whole lot of cushioning, probably not much more than a nicely padded seat, though it did add some weight and I’m thinking that in time it woudl start to wiggle from side to side :wink:

What a unicycle really needs is more gears, more stability, then some suspension.

But wait, I hear there is this “new” thing called a

Bicycle

:stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, in all fairness to the OP, who is just now learning to ride a uni. What most new riders find is that uni riding requires a lot of strength and the development of new muscles. With this development comes the ability to “cushion your ride” through the use of your inboard stability system, ie muscles and joints.

As I become a stronger rider, my ability to smoothly ride though jarring terrain is growing. I have found that I can smoothly ride through rocky terrain as easilly on a skinny tire as I can on a fat tire, in fact there are times when a Larry 3.8 is too bouncy and fat, imagine that!

Who are you, and what did you do with Nurse Ben?

Nurse Ben is currently being held against his will in an undertermined location.

We wil return him on one condition:

All muni riders must give up their fat tires and ride nothing wider than 2.2".

That is all. We will be in touch.

I figured as much.

To sum up the solution to proper unicycle suspension in one word… “Tweel.”

In the early days, all we had was 1.75". If you want to make a relatively easy trail really challenging again, try it on a 1.75" tire. You’ll have to run high pressure it it, otherwise you’ll get pinch flats on every ride. So it was a street unicycle wheel (the old kind of street, not Street), at street riding pressure (60 or so). No wonder I got my first suspension post back in 1998 or so!

It seems like when I ride over bumpy ground, it helps to stand up to absorb the bumps. It seems like a good suspension would help achieve this while seated.

There is an old saying:" a bad tradesman blames his tools."

Being a beginner I struggle with all the same issues and constantly think about ways to make the uni better. Being a gadgety kind of person also helps. :smiley:

I’ve actually come to realize that if you modify the uni too much you compromise the elegance and simplicity of it. There is something noble about using just your body and a wheel to accomplish what others can hardly fathom.

Having said that, I plan to build my own 29" suspension uni with a CVT hub and disc brakes for easy XC and the road. One day… :roll_eyes:

Was that just because nobody made unicycle frames for 26" wheels? There were plenty of 26x2.3" tyres around in 1991 (give or take a year) when I had my first mountain bike (rigid fork so big tyres were very useful).

I don’t know what the obsession is with unicyclists and 24" wheels - silly size. I wonder why it became so popular.

Rob

Well I know I would sure appreciate suspension on my 29er because I permanently commute on it as I live in a bicyclist community. Riding in the dark, I often hit baby fallen coconuts or an unexpected bump in the road that causes a UPD. In the daytime this doesn’t happen because I can anticipate it, but I think suspension would help me to take these bumps better without anticipation. I also think it would just be more comfortable on bumpy ground.

Sounds like you need a headlight.

Well I have one, but I have an eye condition that cause me to see poorly at night. I have no peripheral vision in poor lighting.

This has been discussed in several threads over the years. The most thorough discussion and a few viable full suspention designs were in the fallowing thread. I don’t believe any of the newish designs in there have been ever built.
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32510&highlight=suspension