suspension -just thinking...

It seems like when I ride over bumpy ground, it helps to stand up to absorb the bumps. It seems like a good suspension would help achieve this while seated.

There is an old saying:" a bad tradesman blames his tools."

Being a beginner I struggle with all the same issues and constantly think about ways to make the uni better. Being a gadgety kind of person also helps. :smiley:

I’ve actually come to realize that if you modify the uni too much you compromise the elegance and simplicity of it. There is something noble about using just your body and a wheel to accomplish what others can hardly fathom.

Having said that, I plan to build my own 29" suspension uni with a CVT hub and disc brakes for easy XC and the road. One day… :roll_eyes:

Was that just because nobody made unicycle frames for 26" wheels? There were plenty of 26x2.3" tyres around in 1991 (give or take a year) when I had my first mountain bike (rigid fork so big tyres were very useful).

I don’t know what the obsession is with unicyclists and 24" wheels - silly size. I wonder why it became so popular.

Rob

Well I know I would sure appreciate suspension on my 29er because I permanently commute on it as I live in a bicyclist community. Riding in the dark, I often hit baby fallen coconuts or an unexpected bump in the road that causes a UPD. In the daytime this doesn’t happen because I can anticipate it, but I think suspension would help me to take these bumps better without anticipation. I also think it would just be more comfortable on bumpy ground.

Sounds like you need a headlight.

Well I have one, but I have an eye condition that cause me to see poorly at night. I have no peripheral vision in poor lighting.

This has been discussed in several threads over the years. The most thorough discussion and a few viable full suspention designs were in the fallowing thread. I don’t believe any of the newish designs in there have been ever built.
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32510&highlight=suspension