Surly Knard 29x3

STAAAAP your making me jealous :D. What a Beauty though.

Nice ride Ben!

That wheel and frame look like they were made for eachother as opposed to just something that fits.

You are making me consider adopting the wide hub internal brake standard but I have too much invested in my regular hub external disk setups.

Looks like 26" wheel. Bad angle of photo.

Looks like 26" wheel. Bad angle of photos.

It looks like a 26 because you aren’t used to seeing such a meaty 29" tire.

That’s an Oregon frame, it’s quite tall. It’ll fit a 26 x 5" with room to spare.

@Sas: The Oracle 29 is supposed to fit the Knard, I have a frame coming today. I’ll post a review once the wheel is built up; that would allow you to stay with the 100mm spaced hubs.

I also wonder if you could cold bend an Oregon frame to fit a 100mm spaced hub, it’s only 12.5mm difference per side.

Yes I know. I’m just surprised there is still so much clearance even if this huge 29" tire is used :astonished:

Nice, Ben. I’ve never been a fan of the look of the Oregon frame (though I like the Hunters) but that looks pretty good.

You could probably do it, but 25mm is a lot of bending. I recently set an old MTB from 126mm to 135mm (just over 1/3 that distance) and had to align the dropouts afterwards.

I agree, i dont think it will work, we tryed to skip the brearing spacers on a KH hub to fit a impact frame and tryed to bend it and no go just a ton of rubbing :stuck_out_tongue:

Wes, go do your homework!

Cold bending will work, the small diameter steel tubes have plenty of give, you would just need a way to clamp the frame, probably by using a bare hub, some wood blocks, and a couple bar clamps.

@ $165 though, it is not an inexpensive trick, though far less than a custom frame; Hunters are $450, Tritons are twice that.

The wider Oregon hubs are nice, though a bit heavy, but it makes a more stable wheel than the 100m Oracle disc hub.

I am doing my homework! i get to surf the forum for web developmental class

Yeah, it’s a very big frame, probably too big since it fits a 26 x 5 with a lot of clearance. I’d like to see a narrower frame, but I think the frame is done for the moment as UDC has a lot of other irons in the fire.

So how does the wide single wall rim feel compared to the Nimbus rim you were riding before?

The rabbit hole is stiff, easilly as stiff as the domonator, though strength wise it is pobably not as strong. It’s noticeabley wider. It’s not a typical single wall rim, what surly did was use overbuild the edges and use a thicker al in the middle.

You’ve got to remember that a 29" wheel is really only a 28.5" wheel if measured the same way as a 26" one, hence only 1.25" larger in radius. A 29er with a 3" tyre is only 1/4" larger radius than a 26er with a 4" tyre.

What strip exactly did you use? Looking at their website I see the DH and Freeride but they both use a shrader valve. There’s also the 29er kit. Thanks for clarifying parts used and any other suggestions as well.

Ordered my Oracle frame and all the other bits and pieces along with the Knard and Rabbit Hole, shooting for 13lb-ish fatty…stooooked!:smiley:

Now this is cool. I was just looking at how much the parts would be to build one of these custom.

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle/nimbus-oregon-29-unicycle.html

Edit: JTurner, the pre-built one from UDC is 15.5lbs, but they are using the 27 TPI version of the tire and the wide hub, etc. I’ll be interested to see how much lighter you can get yours.

That is sweeet!

Well, I am holding off on making the Rabbit hole tubeless. The tubes are working fine, only weigh 200gm (vs 100-150gms tubeless), but the real reason is those big cut outs are a problem. There is just no good way to keep the tape from separating as it pushes out from air pressure.

I do like the Rabbit Hole, it is very strong, easy to build up, and it looks nice. I’m riding standard MTB presta tubes, specialized 2.0-2.3", they are working fine.

If you want a tubeless Knard, your best bet is a rim that’s not drilled.

Hey JT,

About the Oracle 29 frame and the Knard…the fit will be tight, so keep that in mind. It might be worthwhile building it up with a narrower rim like a Velocity Blunt 35 (P 35) and run that tubeless (that’s my set up), then put the Rabbit Hole on an Oregon hub. A narrower rim would improve clearance a bit as well.

I have the Knard 27tpi/Rabbit Hole on an Oregon, it makes a nice fat tire compliment to the even fatter 26 x 4". Though I like the Rabbit Hole, I am not convinced that the Knard rides better on a 50mm rim vs a 40mm rim. I sorta feel like the Knard rode better, less autosteer, on the narrower Dominator 2 rim.

The Knard 120tpi has a very thin casing, considered an ultralight casing by Surly, which is why I run the heavier but sturdier Knard 27tpi and that also explains why UDC is selling the Oregon 29+ with the Knard 27tpi. If you run the 120tpi, then you’ll end up running more pressure unless you are a lightweight. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just a different ride, so you have to make a compromise for the reduced weight.

Is your fiance riding more?

Hi Ben. . . . So how tight? At least 1/4" or 1/8" on each side? or is it the overall diameter that makes it tight?
Bryce