Surly Knard 29x3

Has anyone measured the height of their Knard on their rim? I can’t seem to find any height measurements. Or maybe I’m looking right at them…it feels like one if those moments. :slight_smile:

Dunno if this is what you’re looking for, but they give mounted diameters for 29x3.0 Knard on a couple of rims here:

Thanks! That might help me!

So after taking the measurements of your suggested link into consideration, along with a conversation with Jogi, I’m going to try the Surly Knard 29x3 120 tpi. Here’s the fun part…I don’t have a wide rim for it, nor will I be able to get one in the near future. But I had a soon-to-expire discount coupon with JensonUSA so I ordered the tire anyway!

I did some research beforehand, and several people have posted on the mtb forums of riding the Surly Knard on standard mtb rims, including 25mm rims.

I’m going to try it…this might round out the profile, but from other user’s experiences on the 25mm rim, it doesn’t round out as much as one might expect. And I plan to build it tubeless.

Crossing my fingers it works! :slight_smile: If it doesn’t, maybe I’ll get a RH rim in a few years and try the tire then. :slight_smile: For now, I’m excited for one more project to cram in before I move to Oregon.

Here are some pics of the Knard on 25mm rims.

Those look pretty crazy! I’ll be interested in your thoughts on how it rides like that. Conventional unicycle wisdom seems to be that wider rims than what bike riders use prevent squirm at low pressure, which is what fat tires are about. But you never know for sure in a specific case with a specific rider, and you’ve got that rim to try already.

Like you say, if it doesn’t work as well as you’d like, stash it in a cool, dark, dry place for a while. And I wonder if there are less expensive fatbike rims coming down the pipe, if it might be catching on in a bigger way. Weinmann’s website lists a 622 mm DHL42, but maybe that just means they’ll make them if someone orders enough. I haven’t seen any offered for sale. (Yet?) And Sun Ringle showed something called a Mulefut, only 559x80mm so far but there’s another hat in the ring.

Funny that yesterday I ordered a couple of closeout Vee Rubber 29er tires from Pricepoint ($12.99 each!) to play with on my 700c wheel with a Rhino Lyte rim, 27.5 mm outside width. I agonized over how wide to go and didn’t have the guts for more than 2.1". So you’re braver than I am. Again. :slight_smile:

Well by the time I’m able to purchase a wider rim, my hope is that there will be more options. I run my fat 26" at a (relatively) higher pressure than I thought I would because it feels much more responsive and fast than when I have it lower. So maybe I’ll like the higher pressure in the mid-fat 29" on a skinny rim! Who knows. I’m just experimenting right now. I’ll update my progress on this thread. :slight_smile:

Nimbus Oracle 29 with Knard 29x3. Awesome!

After reading every post I could find about the new, taller, Nimbus Oracle 29 and Surly Knard 29x3, I finally took the plunge. I ordered a standard Nimbus Oracle 29 from unicycle.com, a Knard 120tpi tire and the matching Surly 29x3 inner tube.

Tire fits just fine! It sets up with a width of 2.9" and a diameter of 30". That leave about 0.2" of clearance to sides of frame and 0.5" to top. Room enough for knobbies to complete clear frame. I just took it on a 6.5 miles singletrack ride (southwest desert, gravel and sand). Wow! Could not be happier!!! It plowed through everything. I easily cleared stand traps, that I have never cleared before! My old Muni had WTB Stout 29x2.3 tire. The Knard feels smaller than it is, so handling was actually improved over my 2.3 tire. It felt like I was going quite a bit faster too (my average speed was about 0.7 mph higher).

I highly recommend this combination. Good luck finding it! I think I got the last one in stock from unicycle.com :wink:

knard width.jpg

knard hight.jpg

knard clearance.jpg

Is the diameter exactly 30’’ or are you rounding?

It it actually pretty hard to measure the diameter accurately. I tried again by fitting the wheel between things. Got 29 14/16" or 29.88".

A scientist friend of mine happened notice me doing the measurement. “What are you doing? Just roll it out and measure the length of one revolution and divide by Pi”. Duh! Now I get 29.74" and I stand by that :o

As a comparison, my well-worn WTB 29x2.3 Stout measured 28.71" So if I pedal with the same revs per min, I am now going 3.6% faster, which is only about 0.2 mph more. Oh. well. New tire definitely rolls better.

BTW, I forgot to mention that my Oracle now weights 14.8lbs. That is with about 6 oz of Slime in inner-tube. My old 29" Muni weighs a pound less, but I really cannot feel the difference while riding.

Thanks for going through the trouble to figure that out! :slight_smile:

Today I went to a local bike shop to see if they’d be willing to install my Surly Knard 29x3 127tpi onto my 25mm Velocity Blunt SL rim TUBELESS. They said no. They’d give it a shot, but they weren’t familiar with unicycle wheels (I told them over and over that they would be installing a bike tire onto a bike rim, but that just wasn’t getting through for some reason.) and they didn’t think the tire would seat well. So I just bought a 29’’ inner tube and applied the damn tire myself (I would have done it tubeless but I don’t own an air compressor). So after installing it, I first tried it on my custom road Triton frame. The width was fine, but the tire was rubbing some under the frame. So then I took apart my Fatty and installed the Knard onto my Triple Triton frame, and it fit perfectly!! So I got it all ready to ride but there was some resistance. Then I noticed part of my Triton label was peeling off on both sides and I found the culprit: My Mad4One Muni cranks were rubbing against the frame! I tried installing it with wider crank spacers, but nothing helped. So I guess I’ll save those cranks for another day. :frowning: But my Qu-Ax lightweight aluminum cranks worked, so I installed those and took the new set-up out for a ride.
I’ll admit, I’m not as impressed with the Knard as I am with my fat 26" (Devist8er UL). I rode on road for about 2 miles to get to a steep, dirt/gravel fire road and the thing handled the road better than the dirt! On the gravel and dirt, it was auto steering and really difficult to mount on uphills because of the resistance in the tread, so I wasn’t really excited about today’s ride. However, this was my only option as far as “off-road” terrain goes. Tomorrow I hope to find something with more sand and roots. I also plan to lower the pressure a little bit. Since we had to ride so much on road, I pumped up the tire quite a bit, which may have been why it was auto steering. I also didn’t have the best of cranks, as my Qu-Ax cranks are 125mm and riding up hill with those was a pain. Hopefully tomorrow’s ride will be better!

Here are some pics of the Knard on a skinny mtb rim:

That’s how I measure it too. The problem is, when you need that number for your bke-computer for distance measuring, it’s not exactly, because due to the pressure on the tire it will roll with a lower radius when you ride it. The best thing yet was to do this measurement, ride a long distance, measure this distance via geodata (bikeroutetoaster, land surveying office, etc) and andjust the value for your bke-computer by the percentaged difference.

If your bike shop can’t make your ‘unicycle’ wheel tubeless because it’s a ‘unicycle’ wheel, I don’t think I’d trust them to work on my bike, let alone my unicycle.

Yeah, I will not being going back there. The bike shop with all of the good reviews on yelp (and with an owner that actually plays bike polo with unicyclists!) was closed, so next time I’ll just got to them.

Just a few more thoughts (now that I’m on a tablet and not typing on my phone :roll_eyes: ).

It may be a blessing in disguise that the LBS wouldn’t set it up tubeless. Even though I think they are a piss-poor bike shop for turning down a unicycle wheel for the fact it’s a unicycle wheel, I’d question how well that setup would be tubeless.

I have a 2.1" tire on a 24mm Velocity Dyad rim that I couldn’t keep from burping. The tire is just too large for the rim and you’d get foldover and all that good stuff. I’m amazed seeing the pictures posted of Knards on Velocity Dyads. Even on a bike I’d think you’d run into issues with that setup.

Even with a tube I’ve had issues with flats, and I think it’s partially due to the high PSI I have to run to keep from folding over and pinch flatting.

Not to crush dreams or anything like that, but even in a budding sport like ours, there are reasons why some things are the way they are. Not that there isn’t ever room for something ground breaking (think flat saddles).

Well I had this same rim set up with a tubeless 26x1.95 tire with no issues so my hope was I’d get lucky. But in the long run I want to try a Rabbit Hole rim. I just don’t have the funds so this experiment is just for fun. :slight_smile:

If you asked me to set it tubeless on that rim I wouldn’t do it either. I’ve set tons of tubeless wheels on bikes and on my Muni. Running a 25mm rim with a 3" tire it not a very good ideal. Surly recommends riding at least a 35mm rim with it, and I dont see myself going bigger than 2.4 on my 35mm rim!

The hook of the tire is not going to hold as good as a wider rim. For a tubeless setup you want to have a best possible hook.

Yeah, but it sounds like Bri’s lbs said they’d try it if it wasn’t a unicycle wheel. If they said they wouldn’t do it for a valid reason and explained why, I could swallow that.

Looks like we’re slowly getting more 29+ options. I’m really hoping for a 29+ slick tire, but I’m not holding my breath.

Anyway, I don’t have the gift of looking at a bike tire and determining if it would be good for unicycling. Can anyone help me out with the Vee Rubber 29x3.0 Trax Fatty?

Here is the link:

www.veetireco.com/product/trax-fatty/

It looks like it might not be as aggressive in tread as the Knard, so potentially I could use it on pavement? Any thoughts?

I’m thinking of building up a second 29+ wheel to put in my 36 Oracle frame.

Is the Oracle 36 frame the same width as the Oracle 29 frame? (bought in spring 2014 if that makes any difference)

It’s a long thread, but from what i gather, the recommendation with the Oracle frame and Knard seems to be for the KH rim over the Nimbus Dominator…

Plan:

• KH freeride 47mm rim
  • Nimbus Oracle hub (Chromoly)
  • Surly Knard 29x3.0 27tpi
    –> into Nimbus 36 Oracle frame

I did a really rough measurement of my Oracle 36 frame width and got 88.5mm, so with the values in this thread, it seems like it should fit.

Any problems or disadvantages to doing this in a 36 frame? I’m assuming I can still use the same seat post as the seat-hub distance won’t change any. Am I missing anything else?