Surly 24 x 4" Conundrum: As it was meant to be

Hum? The Chaoyang Big Daddy is 24x4.0 so it shall fit the M41 frame without any problems

http://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27&sort=a3&language=en

Thanks guys…
However, those are the clearances with a 45/47mm rim.
I’m sure it’s a good tool, probably more agility and precision oriented, but I’d like to squeeze out all I can from a 4incher.
I think Ben Soya had one of this cutie, and I’ve seen him with the 26x4 aluminium version at unicon doing some amazing things.
I’ll probably end up with one of those frames, and letting my knees taking advantage of the narrower frame…If i won’t find a beefier, slower, goofier setup.

Pinoclean, How about an update?
I’m curious if the 80mm rim flattens out the tire too much.

Desaparecido?

Not a conundrum, but good enough for me!
First try at a fatty, loving their slogan!

Let us know how it rides!

What Uni is that?

This is a 24 fatty from URC. Basic model-no upgrades.

So far I’m loving it! I’ve been holding off getting it because everyones always bragging about rollover ability with the larger tires.
I have a 29 with the WTB Stout 2.3 to compare. The hills and mole tunnels around here led me to believe that a smaller tire(for more torque) with more float would suit me fine.
Ruts that would have stopped me before, I now stumble, but recover!
With the 140 cranks, it’s got just a nudge more torque than the 29 with 150’s.

One issue…
The tire bulges a little(3/16 or4.5mm) side to side. The rim is true. Maybe the tire is a little warped from packaging before being mounted? I hope it evens out with time. Not much frame clearance…it barely touches as it spins.

Hey grizbach,

After seeing your post on the URC, I’ve decided to give them a shot, and placed an order. Marco and Francesco from URC are great with their customer support and quick to answer emails/questions.

Based from your experience with your order, how long did it take to get it? Mine’s been at USPS ISC NY since 12/2 and tracking hasn’t moved? Appreciate your input…