Surly 24 x 4" Conundrum: As it was meant to be

Except that I used my Triple Triton with a Surly Knard 29x3.0 and it fit with clearance. Maybe I got a lucky batch?

That’s right… Good to know :wink:

For anyone interested in 36 hole 24" 80mm rims with cutouts for reducing weight this russian website appears to have them for $24USD.

I emailed the guy and he said he was getting more stock in April 25 and it does appear to be an accurate description on the site. He wont send outside Russia so I found a workaround to get one. I will update this when I eventually get it to let people know if it is as it seems.

I’ve now taken my 4" fatty out several times in a variety of trail conditions (24 x 4" VeeRubber Mission on a Large Marge Rim mounted in a 24" Surly Conundrum frame).

On one hand, it’s a complete blast to ride – sheer, unadulterated fun… soaks up roots and rocks without noticing, it loves hills, whether going up or coming down… BUT… I still find a fat tire has a mind of its own and requires a lot of wrestling to keep it pointed where I want it to go. A 3" Duro, which is a big, dumb chunk of rubber, feels nimble by comparison.

On balance, though, it’s one of my favorite builds.

I haven’t tried it on the unicycle, but my girlfriend has a fatbike with those veerubber missions, and they have THE WORST straight-suck I have ever seen in a tire. They’re hard enough to handle on a bike, much less a unicycle. I don’t know why that is, but I hop on a similar bike with the Nates and it feels like any other tire. My Larry is somewhere in the middle, and it’s better to run the tire pattern backwards on that tire it seems. I know there aren’t many options for 24x4" unfortunately, but I do feel like that tire could be some of the issue.

How does it compare to a 26? What other munis do you ride?

I had that tire on my 24" freewheel and it was unrideable at all pressures. The first tire I had with my fat 26" was terrible, too. Then I tried a Surly Nate and the difference was like night and day. I know there’s no 24" version of the Nate and there are limited options but almost anything is bound to be better.

Specialized ground control or the framed tire are probably your best bet.

Missions allegedly blow.

Based on the input from juggleaddict, waalrus and Killian, I don’t know that this tire is a good representation of a 24" fat-tire experience. What I wanted was a uni that’s as much fun to ride as my 26" fat tire, but that was enough smaller and lighter that I can throw it around just where I want it. I have a friend that does muni on a 20" and he can carve lines like a surgeon. I definitely see that potential for this uni, but I think this specific tire is preventing it from living up to the potential.

It IS a ton of fun – it gobbles up roots and rocks and trail imperfections without noticing. With 137mm cranks, it handles hills great. BUT… the autosteer is a problem. Even on level concrete it’ll take off on some line without me. I’ve been thrown so suddenly that I looked to see whether the seat had twisted in the post (it hadn’t). I’m on the lookout for another 24" tire, because I’m really excited about the possibilities.

My other rides, for comparison –
26" x 3" Duro – perfectly satisfactory if completely unremarkable
26" x 3.8" Larry – big, cushy ride with a mind of its own
27.5" x 2.35" Hans Dampf SG - perfectly mannered, goes exactly where I direct it, but I wanted a little more compliant ride (I might have found that if I had gone tubeless)
27.5" x 3.25" Trax Fatty – a slight bit of autosteer but far and away my favorite ride – fast but manageable.

I recently noticed this one: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Parts/Cruiser/Tires-Tubes/Berm-Master-Tire.aspx

The Felt Berm Master. The knobs don’t protrude nearly as far as the Duro or others, but it’s one of the few 24x3 tires out there. For $25, it seems like it may be worth giving it a try. I would expect it to be lighter than the Duro. Probably not good in mud.

berm-master-tire.jpg

the wide rim would give you some more float, but the berm master wouldn’t be a full fat-tire size.

That ground control looks awful similar to a Nate O:-) and according to the specialized website, it’s only $40, which seems like a steal.

So if the Vee Rubber mission is meant to be crappy

Does that mean that the only options are Specialized Ground Control or Chao Yang Big Daddy?

24x4 Ground Control - 60tpi
weight 1335g

24x4 Chao Yang Big Daddy - 120tpi
Weight 1080g

Anyone ridden both of these? The Chao Yang Website appears to only have 30 and 60tpi 24 inch tyres on it however it seems that a 120tpi does exist.

I got my best friend a Specialized Ground Control for his Conundrum 24 but I have not had the opportunity to ride it yet. However, seeing the tread shape and having ridden a smaller Ground Control tire, it is the most promising choice (including the very cheap price in 24" :smiley: ).

It’s not far from the Duro’s weight, actually.

After some vacation with friends, I was able to get some proper pics of his Conundrum 24 and a quick 30 minutes ride on it (unfortunately, nothing technical :frowning: ).

As you can see on the pic, the tread is very different from the Vee Rubber Mission and it feels like it. The Ground Control feels like your average off-road tire and I wish we could have done a longer ride (too much sore muscles to go seriously into a twisted and very fun single track again).

The build is very classic:
Conundrum 24 black frame
Large Marge 24 rim
Specialized Ground Control 24x4.0 tire
Duro tube
KH Moment blue hub
KH Moment 150mm cranks
K1 street saddle
KH adjustable post

Thanks to Sergey from onlycycle.ru for making it possible.

24 inch Fat wheelset

80mm width 36 hole cutout rim. Couldn’t find many 24 inch fat rims especially not with cutouts.

Powdercoated for $8.50.

Chao Yang 120 TPI Tyre.
I have nothing to compare it to but I do have a ground control tyre in the mail so maybe I will change the tyre over some time to compare.

This will go on the Surly Conundrum frame I bought from Bri.

Pretty!

Have some of you got tired of their mini fatty?
I’m still looking for one

Today, with the rise in popularity of fatty for kids (more rims & tyres) and production frames like Unarota and Mad4One, it is easier than ever to build one. It won’t be all Surly, but it may end up cheaper and lighter (depending in the parts you choose).

M41 looks like a good muni, but they won’t fit something as wide as the wheel Pinoclean posted above.
Anyway, I’ve heard some positive things about their 24.