Styles of uni riding?

What are the different styles of uni riding?
Can we make a list of definitions here or does one already exist?

I’ll start a list to fill in… off the top of my head. I think some of these are the same thing with different names, but that’s the point of defining them. Because I don’t know.
I gotta run… but here’s the start of a list to be defined and added to:

muni -

freeride -

slopestyle -

flat -

flatland -

street -

freestyle -

trials -

I like not having a specific “style”. Like Bruce Lee said, “Be water my friend”. You conform and adjust to each new situation, and adapt as you go, whatever the terrain calls for. Be water my friend. :sunglasses:

+1 :slight_smile:

OP leaves out:

road touring
commuting
unicycle hockey
giraffes
circus…

all the non-Pepsi Max ones :stuck_out_tongue:

(or do they all come under flat?)

I don’t think the categories need to be strictly “defined,” but the gist of MuniOrBust’s request is a great one. Actually, I’ve considered asking essemtially the same question myself, but was embarassed by my lack of knowledge. :thinking: Given that nobody has immediately given a link to a prior relevant thread, it seems like this discussion is a good one to have.

For example, I’m pretty sure I understand what muni, commuting, road touring, and unicycle hockey are about (although muni can probably also be subdivided into “cross-country” and other muni endeavors). However, I really have little or no understanding of the differences (if any?) between:

freeride -

slopestyle -

flat -

flatland -

street -

freestyle -

trials -

So, this is a great opportunity for you experienced guys to let us newbs know just how much we don’t know. :stuck_out_tongue:

As was posted by Kris in the thread that prompted MuniOrBust’s post here, not too far after this thread, there are a handful of good definitions on http://www.krisholm.com/khu/en/unicycling , leaving out perhaps “slopestyle” which as I understand it would be muni (typically downhill) with a focus on throwing in tricks whenever possible on the run. Think “downhill slope” plus “freestyle”.

Also, not that this thread is entirely pointless, but much of it is covered elsewhere in the forums as well, and even so these terms are constantly evolving and the best “definition” will always be governed by whatever common usage is at the time.

I tend to lean a little more toward prescriptivism than descriptivism in language, but especially in jargon/slang/technical terminology the language itself is still too fluid sometimes for hard-and-fast definitions.

…like lava still fresh from the volcano’s eruption :slight_smile:

billnye
John M

Thanks billnye!

The definitions at http://www.krisholm.com/khu/en/unicycling do cover a lot.
I think that’s good enough for me.

Thread closed as far as I’m concerned.

Thanks - the Kris Holm page is very helpful.

But your post leads me to ask: I assume you’re not considering Kris’s page to be prescriptive? I’m a Kris Holm fan and customer, but I’m not quite sure I’d agree that just because it’s on Kris’s website, that we must all follow his prescription. Rather, what I’ve been interested in is understanding what others mean when they use the various terms, i.e. descriptions. I doubt Kris intended to impose his thoughts on others, so his page most likely reflects descriptive, not prescriptive, definitions. :roll_eyes:

However, I acknowledge that the academic linguistics definitional issue is tangential to the topic of the thread, and that the OP’s question has been answered. :slight_smile:

Giraffing isn’t a style, it’s a unicycle. :slight_smile:

My style is called -total emergency-.

Very challenging and progressive.

I call my style, “Stealth Camo” because I can instantly adapt and blend into whatever environment I happen to be in at the time. :smiley: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue:
(It also describes my MUni’s color scheme!)