Strava

Now that Strava has reduced what is available for free, anyone going to upgrade and start paying?

I’ve used Strava for years and often thought of subscribing, but basically there was nothing I needed that a paid subscription had to offer. Well, now that they have taken away many features including segment analysis, maybe there is. Of course, it’s hard to pay for what you used to get for free!

Now, if they had a unicycle type, that would change my mind. Like that will ever happen.

Maybe that’s our little leverage: tell them we’ll only pay if they add Unicycle as a category. I didn’t realize they’re moving to less options - I guess I’m only using it to record the rides to have a sort of track of how much I do each month/year.

I’ve been paying for a couple of years now, because: [LIST=1]

• I valued the Beacon (live track) feature, which is [Premium] [Summit] Subscriber only.
  • I value the product itself, and want the company to succeed. [/LIST] I'm really annoyed by the lack of a unicycle option, either as an activity type or one of the four possible "bike" types. I've only logged 2 unicycle rides on Strava so far, but I'll be doing more. Now that I have a Garmin, I'm using the Garmin Connect live track instead. I'm not quite annoyed enough to cancel my subscription, but I would be prepared to make a fuss on the customer support forum.
  • I use Map My Run, which has more than one unicycle category, is free, and does splits.

Oh yes, and

1. The heatmap. I do like my heatmap.

The owners’ apologies for rising the price and cutting free options were so pathetic, it didn’t convince me to pay :frowning:

I have been using the free version and I’ll continue to use it.

Since I cannot compete with the cyclists anyway I just use the segments to compare me against me :slight_smile:

Since I cannot compete with the cyclists anyway I just use the segments to compare me against me :slight_smile:
    The free version still allows this.

Why is it many of us who only ever plan on free usage of Strava should think for some reason we might come to demand squatters rights? Is it right for us to think Strava should alter their business plan so a fringe freeloading niche may each individually relish in the full glory of our own personal bragging platforms?

Use it or move on. Try making your own tracking app if you aren’t happy. Try paying if you want the benefits.

I’ve been with Strava for maybe a decade. Tried many others. Always returned. Never paid a cent. Tried not to complain. Knew no one cared.

Realizing no one is listening,
    JM

3 Likes

Strava is increasingly more of a social media app. For example, they’ve dropped their support of pairing with bluetooth HR monitors like Wahoo Tickr. The social media component is free (sorry, MapMyRun doesn’t do it for me). I love Strava for this feature- it’s pretty much the only social media I use. Above all though, I wish they would add a Unicycle category. It really is not far fetched- they have handcycle, roller skiing, kite surfing, wheelchair, kayaking, windsurf, snowshoeing, and velomobile. There was a petition a few years ago for unicycle- maybe we can revive it!

That’s the best part of it anyway IMO. I like seeing adventures that other people have been on.

And I also enjoy seeing other peoples adventures.

It is the perfect smartphone alternative to the “pictures of your latest ride” + you get to see the stats of the ride.

And I also enjoy seeing other peoples adventures.

It is the perfect smartphone alternative to the “pictures of your latest ride” + you get to see the stats of the ride.

That’s what I like about the unicycle groups in Strava. Most unicycle groups are often excessively contaminated with bicycle rides, but UNITE-1 is good with very few bicycle intrusions. Of course, if Strava listened to the hundreds of requests for a unicycle type, and groups could be restricted to type (as if either would ever happen), then the product becomes well worth paying for.