Spokes: How tight is too tight?

my spokes are very very tight on my kh 20. is that okay?

Probably. The rim will go out of true if the spokes are too tight. At this point backing off the tension and then making sure spokes are evenly tightened will give a good build.

But what makes you say the spokes are “very very tight”? What are you comparing to or using the gauge the tension? In general unicycles come from the factory with machine built wheels that could be better tensioned.

Probably. The rim will go out of true if the spokes are too tight. At this point backing off the tension and then making sure spokes are evenly tightened will give a good build.

But what makes you say the spokes are “very very tight”? What are you comparing to or using to gauge the tension? In general unicycles come from the factory with machine built wheels that could be better tensioned.

If your rim didn’t spontaneously taco and your eyelets haven’t ripped out I wouldn’t worry about your spokes being too tight.

Do you have a tension meter? Without actually measuring the tension in the spoke it is really hard to tell how tight they really are compared to wheels of different sizes. If you are used to building 26" wheels by hand then the spokes on a properly tensioned 20" will feel really tight and the spokes on a equally tensioned 36 will feel pretty loose.

i dont have a tensoin meter but they feel very tight i think they are okay though

In answer to your question, when you hear a really loud snap and the spoke turns really easily after the snap. Then the spoke is too tight.