split saddle advice needed

Hi i am new to this forum. I have an SBU Self Balancing Unicycle - a great bike, sorry if it cheats a bit but extremely fun to ride - like riding a cloud at 12mph.

anyway the standard saddle is terrible and i have lower back issues and i need a split saddle like so:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles

the bike has a single pole with 4 bolts at the top. Can anyone help me find mounting hardware to attach one of these split saddles to my bike, or find a unicycle split seat that would work on the 4 bolt mount?

thanks so much from me and my bottom!

brad

The reason unicyclists don’t use bike saddles is that it is very easy to slide off forwards with no handlebars to hold you in position.

The SBU appears to use a standard unicycle seatpost with a very thick, squishy saddle. In order to fit a bike saddle, you can replace the seatpost with any standard bike one of the same diameter.

If a deep channel is essential, this is the only saddle with a deep groove, but also requires a bike seatpost like that looks like this one. I have not personally ridden with one of those but there are users on here that like them and can give you more info.

If the deep channel isn’t necessary, many people here gravitate towards thinner saddles like the impact naomi or the KH street which also does have a slight cutaway within the foam but nowhere near as deep as a bike saddle. These will both fit on the standard seatpost.

thanks for the feedback.

>The reason unicyclists don’t use bike saddles is that it is very easy to slide off forwards with no handlebars to hold you in position.

with no pedaling, that is not an issue with the SBU bike:
http://www.amazon.com/Focus-Designs-SBU-V3-Self-Balancing/dp/B009KA00B0

> The SBU appears to use a standard unicycle seatpost with a very thick, squishy saddle. In order to fit a bike saddle, you can replace the seatpost with any standard bike one of the same diameter.

ok but the saddle is pretty firm - hence the problem.

> If a deep channel is essential, this is the only saddle with a deep groove, but also requires a bike seatpost like that looks like this one.

deep channel is the problem and the example you give is backwards - the channel here in the front but my issue is in the backbone area - the coccyx bone to be precise, and any contact in that area for a time causes great discomfort, which is why the split seat is required.

thanks

Check out the Kris Holm Zero unicycle saddle in the unicycle.com U.K. web site.

Also the K.H. fusion free ride unicycle saddle which has a deep full length groove which is covered over by the saddle cover.

ahh, zero looks like what i need, clever designers - you can’t see the cutaway because of the mesh - thanks!

Just be aware that the Zero is flatter and more firm than many other unicycle saddles.

The fusion freeride saddle is a bit more curved and is more cushioned than many other unicycle saddles.

The groove on the Zero widens nicely at the tail end and the firmness should keep your coccyx elevated over the groove.

Hope this helps.

Your description of the pain is interesting because your coccyx should never have any pressure on bike saddles, or uni saddles. All of the weight should be supported by the sit bones (ischial tuberosity).

I wonder if you don’t have your saddle tilted down in the nose too much, which would bring the rear of the saddle up higher. I like to position my uni saddle nose up so that the back of the saddle is relatively parallel to the ground. The KH Zero saddle maintains the flat rear portion of the saddle, and brings the front down level with it.

If your saddle is tilted forward too much it may cause you to slide forward onto the narrower part of the saddle where your sit bones wouldn’t be properly supported causing you to sit on your coccyx.

It might be worth your while trying the saddle position that jtrops prefers, before buying another saddle.

There is also no reason you can’t use a regular bicycle saddle, like the one you linked to. Just also replace the existing seatpost with a standard bicycle seatpost of the same diameter. (All of the above comments about getting the angle right still apply.) There are unicycle riders who use regular bicycle saddles, like the one in your link. Not many, but they are out there.

thanks guys

>Your description of the pain is interesting because your coccyx should never have any pressure on bike saddles, or uni saddles. All of the weight should be supported by the sit bones (ischial tuberosity).

yes - all flat seats cause me pain after 10-15 minutes - not just this uni seat. thats why i need a unicycle to drive me around - lightest wheelchair known to man!

>I wonder if you don’t have your saddle tilted down in the nose too much

no adjustments on this electric cycle - you can position yourself more forward or backward which changes the dynamic on speed control (tilt to go faster) but not much else. the bike sets the level automatically with gyroscopes.

> If your saddle is tilted forward too much it may cause you to slide forward onto the narrower part of the saddle where your sit bones wouldn’t be properly supported causing you to sit on your coccyx.

i never slide to a different position because of the balancing and the fact that my legs never move at all when riding, control is by weight shifting and hips.

thanks!

brad

I think you misunderstood my point. I was referring to the saddle mount, not the way you angle it to ride. Most uni seatposts have a mount with four slots, and the saddle attaches via four bolts. If you adjust the angle of the saddle by moving the bolts all of the way to the front of the slots it will angle the saddle up, and thereby level the back of the saddle.

It sounds like you may have a pronounced coccyx, which is certainly not something accounted for in normal saddle design. If so, you can take the cover off of your saddle and cut a deep groove in the foam to give you the relief necessary. There are aftermarket uni saddle covers, or you can staple the original one back on.

Out of curiosity is your bike saddle level, or do you have the nose pointed down? I only ask because even on a bike saddle the location, and orientation of the coccyx shouldn’t ever put it close to the saddle. If the nose is down, and you are sitting a bit forward on the saddle I could see it happening.

> I think you misunderstood my point. I was referring to the saddle mount, not the way you angle it to ride. Most uni seatposts have a mount with four slots, and the saddle attaches via four bolts. If you adjust the angle of the saddle by moving the bolts all of the way to the front of the slots it will angle the saddle up, and thereby level the back of the saddle.
[/QUOTE]

oh i see - my bike has no rails, it is 4 bolts direct into the saddle - no adjustments possible, but i am looking at another type of post that would allow this.

> It sounds like you may have a pronounced coccyx, which is certainly not something accounted for in normal saddle design. If so, you can take the cover off of your saddle and cut a deep groove in the foam to give you the relief necessary. There are aftermarket uni saddle covers, or you can staple the original one back on.

yes i was thinking about that - probably it will be solid foam so i can cover it up afterwords with black tape or something - i think that is the first plan - thanks!

> Out of curiosity is your bike saddle level, or do you have the nose pointed down? I only ask because even on a bike saddle the location, and orientation of the coccyx shouldn’t ever put it close to the saddle. If the nose is down, and you are sitting a bit forward on the saddle I could see it happening.

level and there is a lot of pressure from all of the seat contact, not just the problem area, probably because 100% of my weight is on the seat as opposed to manual bikes where the legs take some weight.

thanks!

Yes, you have 4 bolts. But the 4 holes in the seatpost are not round! They are oval slots which makes adjustment possible. Bring the saddle to the front, and the nose comes up, bring it to the back, and nose will tilt down.

interesting - so which direction is suggested to bring pressure to the front?

For Schwinn/KH mount, sure. My learner had a Miata-style mount which had no angle adjustment. At least two of the holes were, indeed round. Maybe alI 4; I’d have to go look. I did what little I could by shimming the front of the bracket. I do not know what style of saddle mount the seatpost that comes with the SBU uses.

to me it looks like a standard UDC reinforced. To me for the price what is either a UDC standard of hi top plus a heavy seatpost seems a little cheap. At least they could have gone with a nicer saddle and maybe an alloy post.