Speed Gliding

Alright, in slightly more laymen-like speech (my chem teacher would get on my ass for technical inaccuracies in the last post, however):

In order to get an equal braking effect, it doesn’t matter what material you use. If you use a materialthat’s more slippery, you just have to press harder. This means that no matter what material you put ont he bottom of your shoe, if all else remains unchanged, the same amount of heat will be created on the bottom of your shoe.

So, it doesn’t matter what material you put on the bottom of your shoe, it’s going to get just as hot anyways…

HOWEVER, some materials conduct heat better than others. Rubber doesn’t conduct heat well, which is why you can stand on an icy pond or cold floor without the bottoms of your feet getting cold. This also means that all the heat from braking while gliding will get concentrated in the sole of your shoe, making it get very hot. This can be fixed by using a material that conducts heat well, like copper or aluminum. They will carry the heat of braking away from the tire and spread it out, which will keep the bottom of your shoe cooler.

Ahhhhh, I see. Thanks :wink:

Re: Speed Gliding

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:03:46 -0600, gerblefranklin wrote:

>This means that no matter what material you put
>ont he bottom of your shoe, if all else remains unchanged, the same
>amount of heat will be created on the bottom of your shoe.
Correct (depending on what you mean with “all else”).

>So, it doesn’t matter what material you put on the bottom of your shoe,
>it’s going to get just as hot anyways…
Incorrect.

>(…) which will keep the bottom of your shoe cooler.
You’ve corrected yourself.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort”