Speed Gliding

I agree with uniracer, however if you’re going to go to the trouble of doing this, why not just take a 20" front wheel off a bike, use a fork, and attach a unicycle seat? There’s a fine gliding cycle.

Or a bcuni, it wouldn’t wobble as much as cranks/pedals because the plates stay at the bottom the whole time:)
Or hey, just ride it normally down a hill, you will go faster than gliding :smiley:

thats pretty sweet, is it easier than a normal BC wheel?

that bc uni is the exact same thing as the coaster uni when coasting only you cant pedal that one.

Cool, thanks John. Hehe, I could always wheel walk back up though :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a good point…

That BCUni looks like heaps of fun! I bet it’d be an easy way of learning to coast if you could have adjustable plates so each day you could make the plates sit a bit higher

Nope, Its alot harder. On a bc you need to lean down and move your upper body to stay balanced and on that thing the seat restricts my movement so its harder to stay up. It is much easier to ride sif or in a seat drag. I don’t have it put together right now because I need my frame but if someone got into it I think it would be really cool (unispins and seatwhips and stuff):slight_smile:

If you guys want to see me ride that bcuni its at the end of this movie http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=159279 It was flimed when I learned crankflips, my flips have gotten alot better since then :slight_smile:

Lol, you took some pretty hard bails learning to flip! Looks like some tough times ahead for me.

I dunno if it’s just me, but it seems in my mind that i’d find the bcuni easier than a normal bc wheel…

I think it’d be easier if you started with the bcuni, but since Spencer knows how to ride the bc wheel already it’s probably easier to do that one than the bcuni.

Ahh, good point. You’re a thinker, Mr Potter :wink:

I think it would only be useful seat out. Because you would have something to hold onto, but still be able to function like a normal BC.

But i’ve never tried one…

For your high speed gliding do you use a carpet shoe or what? I did a few fast glides once upon a time, maybe 15-18km/h? but my shoe and my tire got worn out and now I can’t go as fast after switching the tire around to the other side. Carpet-shoe seems like the way to go if you can’t afford changing shoes all the time. If I bother suss a better carpet-shoe prototype that latches on properly I could probably go for ages til both the tire and the carpet melt, but that would require a new tire and that would be the way to make a new tire old fast.

ooh, you know what, if you put handlebars on it, it’d be just like a segway scooter, only without like a battery and electricity and stuff!!

I said it’s been done, but not by me. Usually I’m not stupid. :slight_smile: I think Brett Bymaster just used whatever shoes he was wearing, and tore up the bottoms.

For serious long distance or high speed gliding, I think I’d put something like a simple metal plate on the bottom of my shoe. Maybe cup it a little to help it stay in place on the tire. The metal should last a very long time, but the tire would still heat up after a while and wear relatively quickly.

That could be a good idea. I don’t find that my shoes wear out quickly when i’m gliding, but I think that’s due to the fact that I have different foot placements for different speeds. When i’m going slow it tends to be the toe area that has main contact, but when i’m going fast it’s more in the arch of my foot…

I know someone (Mike Clark?) has one like that with a brake too.

The metal would radiate heat better, however to get equal amounts of friction, it doesn’t really matter what material you use. So long as the amount of friction is equal, the amount of heat created should be equal. One issue with a metal plate would be that you would have to push much harder to really get any braking effect (not that’s neccessary in HSG). I’d use aluminum because of its thermal conductivity, and make the plate large to help radiate more heat.

lost

lol, there are some smaaaaart people on here :slight_smile: