South African UniHoki

I want one of those lekka trophies, eish they are great!

Sharp.
Come play a game, you’ll walk the ‘furthest travelled for a game’ category.

Where did you pick up ‘lekka’, BTW?

And just in case it isn’t too late, we’re playing this afternoon again.
C U at 15h30.

An injury on Sunday. Nothing serious but I know how you guys love a bit of blood. Besides, I think Jason deserves extra bonus points for length and straightness.

jason leg.jpg

Our last UniHoki meet …

This Sunday afternoon we’re getting together for our last UniHoki meet before the Interprovincial UniHoki Championship at the South African Juggling and Unicycling Convention in Hiberdeen in KwaZulu Natal.

If you’re in the area on Sunday, directions to the venue are in the first post of this thread.

C U there!

This June, it’ll be two years since we started playing UniHoki regularly. In that time, I’ve taken to wearing rubber skate gloves to protect my hands. I play wearing a hydration pack as I had some problems with dehydration and I’ve fairly recently started wearing a helmet I originally bought for taking the Coker out on the road.
A couple of newer riders have taken to wearing soccer shinpads, mostly to protect against rapid-mount-induced-crank-ankle-scrapes. I recently found a pair in a second-hand shop and have been playing with them for a couple of weeks now.
Only problem is that the ones I bought aren’t the fancy ones with their own elastisized sock. You actually have to wear a sock over these. So I went out and bought some socks.
All told, getting ready for a game of UniHoki is beginning to feel a bit like going for a spacewalk and was definately reducing the simplistic man-on-unicycle appeal of unihoki.
I was also beginning to feel (and look, I suspect) like the Marlboro man.

Michelin Man! Sorry,freudian slip.

So, since I’ve haven’t really battled with ankle-scrapes recently, I decided yesterday that I would forgo the shinpads. Not only that, I would also announce to my colleagues that I would forgo shinpads.
Yeah, all rather silly.

We decided to play with one of the wooden balls again yesterday. We haven’t played with it for a while and the uni.com order with the street-hockey balls will only be here on Tuesday.
During the third game of the afternoon, I go rushing in on a loose ball, fighting Allan for possession. I succesfully lift the head of his stick to prevent him from getting the ball but miss it myself. The wooden ball is now right in front of my wheel and a Hookworm/wooden ball confluence leads only to a UPD.
Which seques quite nicely into one of those things I’ve been threatening to do for about 4 years now.
Take a hacksaw to the bit of the seat-clamp that sticks out beyond the quick release clamp. It’s not a major procedure and I should’ve done it ages ago.
Have I?

No.

Blood?

You betcha.

I’ll be padding up again next time.

Seatclamp comp.jpg

Bleeding Shin Collage Cross comp.jpg

Dave%20Heloise.jpg

And if you’re reading this in Johannesburg or environs this sunny Sunday afternoon, we’re playing in a little over an hour.
Would be great to see you there.
Directions are in the first post of this thread.

I’ve been remiss in my duties.

We’re playing this afternoon.
14h30 for 15h00, would be good to have ya!

Here’s a Google Earth Link to our rink.
Actually, I couldn’t figure out how to attach the link, so here’s a pic.

If you’re in the area, come join us.

Hey, that’s my house! I didn’t know y’all were so close.

I’ll drop in and play for a while.

Just to get these links up in as many places as possible…

There are a couple of clips of our recent TV appearances now available on the web.

You’ll find the links here.

Congrats on the publicity! I will show these clips to the Cape Town boys. damn my internet connection - Will take 50 minutes to download!

Thanx.

I can mail you a DVD if you prefer?

Downloaded and viewed! thanks for the offer though.

about the interviews:

1. That was some really nice exposure!
  2. when was this broadcast?
  3. You really know your stuff!
  4. The mumbles from Cape Town about a league are beginning to make sense.
  5. You have a very impressive beard.

Thanx, yes it was.
I’ve been hakking the guy from Super Cycling to come out and see us since we started a bit more than two years ago.
Persistence seems to pay off.

The SuperCycling bit was on Tuesday 08-08 and the Super Saturday was live on Saturday morning 13-08.

Thanx.
Smoke, mirrors and hanging out on these fora.

I bugged the guy from SuperCycling for two years.
Know that I will be on your arse untill the first InterProvincial Tournament.
(Where we will kick your stripey-shirted arses, but that’s detail.)

Thanx.
It’s developing a grey streak.
It now either needs to grow to Gandalf-size overnight or it’s going to have to come off.

I suggest you stay away from my arse - it is not a nice place to be near. I think that the convention is during varsity term, which is not cool :angry: . By the way, will there be any other provences competing?

Take it as a sign of maturity. Note, in no way did I imply that you are old or not young:p

We’ll probably have the Gauteng Unicorns playing the KwaZulu Natal Sea-Horses again.
Hopefully the Western Province Klipspringers (or what ever you decide to call yourselves) will also be there. The convo is over a long weekend.

About the beard, I just feel the need to whine about it sometimes.
It’s all about not going ‘quietly into that dark night’ and all that.

Long weekend - makes sense (Doh).

The priority is to learn to ride, then lose to you, then kick your arses and make you pay for picking on the noobs!

I like the way you think…

Three things.

Firstly, we played using the tennisball yesterday.
There seemed to be general acceptance that this is the way the UniHoki world is moving and we’d all hate to have our arses handed to us in international competition because we weren’t used to the ball.
To have it handed cause you really suck at the game is an entirely different and whole-heartedly acceptable possible eventuality.

Secondly, I fitted a Pink Tyre to my UniHoki Machino.
Read all about it here.

And finally, we’ve started adding names and numbers to the back of our shirts.

Just a quick word.
We’re playing a nite game tonight.
Usual venue, 19h00 for a 19h30 start.
We hope to have a bit of a ‘Rule Clarification Chat’ sometime tonight.

Can’t wait.
For the game I mean.